••• Van der Graaf Generator albums poll 1970–2012•••

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I voted for Still Life but I meant to pick Godbluff. But Still Life is great as well.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Do Not Disturb has been growing on me; I play it about every other day! As has been the case since the reunion, they go from strength to strength.

Instant Dharma and bleachershane like this.
  3. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Yeah, the new one is really strong!

4. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I'm afraid I find them disappointing without the mighty Jaxon on board... And that's a hard thing to admit as a long term VDGG/Hammill fan...

BPMC and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  5. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

My favorite is The least we can do is wave to each other. Opener Darkness 11/11 is a tour-de-force. Next 3 songs are sublime as well.

kendo and Front 242 Addict like this.
  6. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Easy .....Godbluff best rock album ever ..call it prog if you prefer

bzfgt, Instant Dharma and BPMC like this.
  7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Try Do Not Disturb.

moomaloo and bleachershane like this.
  8. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

To me, the big loss of the saxophone means that there's no real soloing instrument anymore. Peter can supply blasts of electric guitar, but he's no real electric guitar soloist. As a soloist, Hugh's best playing, for me, was on 'The Aerosol Grey Machine' and 'Godbluff.'

I'm quite happy to have examples of Hugh and Peter's great solos posted, this is all about discussion.

What if...John Ellis had joined VdGG in 2005? No, I don't think it would have worked, PH's guitar playing had progressed sufficiently to make it unnecessary, but at least there'd be someone who could play a solo.

9. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Pawn Hearts: anything with ...Lighthouse Keepers has to be top. I have stipulated that it be played at my funeral, but partner is not happy about that...

Godbluff comes close: there was a memorable line form the review in Sounds, IIRC, describing it as taking you most of the way to hell and leaving you there.

BPMC and mx20 like this.
  10. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Love Godbluff. In the realm of progressive rock, Van der Graaf Generator was always this darker, slinkier, left of field entity that never really fit into any particular fold. But I do own all their albums - bar their three most recent - and as much as I enjoy both Pawn Hearts and World Record, Godbluff is my favorite. Have been listening to progressive rock for quite a while now but it was only recently that I really got into Van der Graaf Generator though I have owned them for a good five years now. I've got a feeling it's a class A example of how some things demand many listens to be fully appreciated and understood. I've still got to listen more, haven't even heard Pawn Hearts or any of the others more than 5 times each, over the course of five years that's not that much, is it?

Mirror Image likes this.
  11. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

When I first heard House with no door from H To He, I thought it was David Bowie!

In fact, Bowie could have done an incredible cover of that!

moomaloo likes this.
  12. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, agree that they sound weirdly similar. That is my favourite VDGG track of all.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  13. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Mine too!

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  14. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Pawn Hearts by a long shot, but H to He and Godbluff are both really good. I like Still Life but it's a step down from Godbluff.

15. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I voted for Godbluff. I didn't notice you could vote for three. The new album Do Not Disturb is out now and would make #3, after Godbluff and Pawn Hearts, on my list.

16. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I vote for The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other
    ,beautiful melodies and emotional vocals filled with sadness ( Refugees , Out Of My Book , After The Flood --- listening to After The Flood Gives the feeling that you are in a middle of very stormy ocean , what a powerful and emotional song.

The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other was my first encounter with the band and remained my big favorite.

The remastered cd 2005 also adds the amazing song Boat Of Million Of Years and
    Refugees (Single Version)

H To He Who Am The Only One , Pawn Hearts and Godbluff are magnificent albums.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    qm1ceveb and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  17. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I voted "Pawn Hearts" but could've easily gone "Godbluff". And "Do Not Disturb" is one of the best things they've done in years, was really surprised to hear them getting even better as the years have gone on!

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I thought it was Kate Bush ;)

19. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Godbluff for me. To be honest, VdGG were quite difficult to get into, but Godbluff seemed to hit me the hardest.

BPMC, bleachershane and Harry42 like this.
  20. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Can't really understand why Aerosol is missing here, very strong debut, not unlike Peter Hammill's first solo album Fool's mate .
    My favourite album is The least we can do.. simply because it has Refugees , one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

21. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

First four are fantastic. I'm not a massive fan of Still Life though like most VdGG lovers and probably prefer World Record over it. Pawn Hearts is in my top five albums of all time.

22. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Pawn Hearts is a top 10 album for me - loved the epic journey that A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers takes you on. Man-Erg isn't too Shabby either!

The Least We Can Do… Godbluff and Still Life aren't far behind,….

bleachershane likes this.
  23. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Side one of The least we can do... is absolutely stunning, with the groundbreaking opener Darkness 11/11, the beautiful Refugees follows and White hammer closes the side. 10/10!!!!!

24. You really can't go wrong with the first seven albums although some are clearly stronger than others. My favs tend to be Pleasure Dome, Pawn Hearts and Godbluff. Ham mill was certainly on a roll as a songwriter and performer during this period.

25. John54

John54 Senior Member

It was Aquarians from Aerosol Grey Machine that I heard first:

But Pawn Hearts was the first one I bought, and Refugees is my favourite song by them.

I bought Godbluff, Still Life and (I think) World Record a long time ago but would you believe I've never listened to any of them and could not name one song off any of them ...

I have no idea how to vote, so pass for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.