Van Der Graaf Generator coming in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R E Faust, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I will not wait for them to come up with a reasonable price.

I ordered from Amazon.de for $210 CAD shipped.

brimuchmuze likes this.
  2. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

I am very anxious to hear the Vital remaster.

Tristero and Instant Dharma like this.
  3. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Does anyone know the sources for the video material? I've put a pre-order on the box, but for me, I'm really hoping the video material has been sourced from TV masters/film, rather than the bootleg DVDs and YouTube clips that have done the rounds for years. I know for many the remixes are going to be the draw here, but I particularly love live VdGG clips some I'm really hoping for an upgrade on what's already out there.

Also, the Charleroi (Godbluff Live) videos came from a much longer concert, was the whole concert not filmed? Van der Graaf Generator Setlist at Palais des Expositions, Charleroi

4. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Forum Resident

First time I see that setlist! Where does it come from?

Interesting is that the well known recording ends after The Sleepwalkers with the beginning of Man-Erg over the credits, but Man-Erg is not featured in that setlist here.
    And The Sleepwalkers twice?

bleachershane and vivalapsych like this.
  5. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Arrow sounds great. Not sure about that squeaky sound in the jazzy intro being so loud though!

Mylene and Putrifiers II like this.
  6. Lighthouse

They most likely filmed the whole concert. But I think only the known songs were aired originally, just the same as the rebroadcasts of which were taped on VHS by fans. There's a good chance though that the Belgian TV station have preserved the original masters of what they aired, and then we might get a much better copy, but I doubt that they also kept everything that was edited out. Hah, but that would be a dream, a complete concert in good video and audio quality...

Same for the other old video footage.

bleachershane and Putrifiers II like this.
  7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

That would be unbelievably awesome.
    I hope Hammill solo gets the same treatment.

8. bleachershane

The Beat Club footage absolutely exists in master quality with WDR. I'd love to see the Belgian TV footage in master quality transfers as finding that clip on YouTube is how I was introduced to VdGG.

The Charleroi footage, if it was broadcast on TV in the edited suite that's been doing the rounds for years, there may be a master held in the archives, that one really could do with an upgrade. It's a shame the elements of the whole show haven't been sourced as, like you said, the whole thing was most likely filmed.

Still no official answer on the video transfers though.

9. bleachershane

What also strikes me as remarkable is that there appears to be very few multitrack live recordings of VdGG from the seventies, unlike other prog bands of the era.

PhR likes this.
  10. Lighthouse

It seems the band was not interested to record some of their shows, nor was anybody else. Even the bootleg recordings are not as good as from other bands, though some are good enough for an enjoyable enough hearing. Actually I love this stuff, and there are about 15 to 20 concerts from 1971 to 1978 which I listen too very regularly.

So we have only the BBC in Concert from 1971, and it seems the box will not feature the last song of this, and the 4 songs from Charleroi 1975, and the stuff from Vital, and from the Vital Show the 2 opening tracks are still lost, as is the show from the day before, which was also recorded then. And none of these 3 releases make any high-end friends happy.

So from the forthcoming box I'm the most exited about the 1976 concert, which I expect to be in great quality, both sound and performance. But I'm also totally disappointed in the needless re-release of the Rimini stuff. There are better boots around with a better sound and more interesting performances.

One more reason for the lack of good live recordings is that VdGG was not as much on air as other more popular bands. When I only think about all these wonderful Soft Machine Live CDs which were released in the last 20 years ...
    Here's one radio recording that was announced for the Marquee shows from early 1976: http://www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk/roundhouse_rm030476.jpg
    Well, if this had happened I wonder why no copy of it has surfaced yet ...

11. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

Amazon Germany is offering 3 disc sets of Pawn Hearts, Godbluff and Still Life including a DVD with 5.1 and stereo hi-res, to be released on September 3rd.

LivingForever likes this.
  12. stephenwtayler

stephenwtayler Forum Resident

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Wow, the new mix of "My Room" sounds fantastic, one of their loveliest tunes. I can't wait to hear Still Life in 5.1.

I was tempted to skip the full box and just go for the individual DVDs, but I'm really starting to lean towards taking the deep dive with this one. Even in the case of the albums that aren't being remixed, I'm sure that they'll sound much better than the previous abominations and the live material is an added bonus as well. It's nice to see VDGG getting the lavish treatment they deserve.

14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Do it . This set won't be around long.
    Then prices will go crazy .
    I personally can't wait for the Hammill box which a good portion is basically VDGG as well because the guys all play on a lot of that stuff as well . That set if I'm correct would cover Fool's Mate through Sitting Targets. Oh the joy !!!

Tristero and Slim Zooms like this.
  15. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Why oh why can't the Sabs give us something wonderful like this.
    Iommi breaks my heart.
    Everyone involved is this VDGG box deserves a medal.

16. Is there definitely a Hammill box coming? Do you have an information link to share? I’d be all in on that.

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

No link yet. Partly something I read partly hope.

GnuHigh and Slim Zooms like this.
  18. ok cool. Fingers crossed then!

Slim Zooms likes this.
  19. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I am in for the VdGG box. As for the Peter Hammill catalog, I would probably opt for several DVD surround sets - assuming we are given the same choice.

20. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Curious to know which ones you would be interested in?

21. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Accept for Chameleon which I could see some thinking its got some boring bits I love it. German Overalls and Black Room are wicked tracks.
    I Love the Solo Catalog as much as the VDGG one.
    The experimental run of Future Now through Targets are all excellent.
    Then you have Fools Mate great songs and some wonderful Fripp moments.
    Camera is a mythical beast , Silent Corner has Randy California , Nadir is a intense masterpiece and Over a very emotional intense record. Not a bad record in the bunch a run as good as anybody's.
    And through all these records you have Jackson , Banton. , Evans and Potter adding their charm.
    Out ****ing Standing !!!!

22. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Love it.

SomethingAnything likes this.
  23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

One more. Love it.

SomethingAnything and Slim Zooms like this.
  24. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Silent Corner and Chameleon I have to admit I struggle with, but most of the remainder I do like through to love in some degree. Over I have yet to hear or anything post Black Box. It's safe to say I would take a punt on this....assuming it is more than wishful thinking...?

25. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Brilliant stuff! Wouldn’t it be great if we do get a box of it?