Van Der Graaf Generator coming in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R E Faust, Apr 19, 2021.

1. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Enter K, Sitting Targets, and The Future Now are at the top of my list. But unlike VdGG, I don't have all of them. Might go for Fool's Mate and Nadir's Big Chance just because I don't have them.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    tspit74 likes this.
  2. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

When it comes to the VDGG "epic" tracks, A Louse is not a Home" towers over them like a Colossus.

In my opinion of course.

When I was a young lad I thought I would never hear a weirder LP than Pawn Hearts. Then came Chameleon and Silent Corner.....

3. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

Was it already clarified if the original mixes of all albums will be brand new remasters?

4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

@stephenwtayler , while this is VDGG thread, I can't help thinking it would be great to hear your wonderfully engineered/mixed Rupert Hine albums in 5.1 !

Immunity for example would be fantastic in 5.1.

Any chance of that happening?

stephenwtayler likes this.
  5. stephenwtayler

stephenwtayler Forum Resident

I would love to have done that, but sadly all the multitrack tapes have been lost.

6. stephenwtayler

yes!

100423, spondres and Rael like this.
  7. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

Hi, will there be hi-res downloads of all the albums?

8. yoxy77

yoxy77 Forum Resident

Has anybody heard about a vinyl box set?
    Ordered placed as I don’t want to miss out on this.

9. stephenwtayler

this is all I have found from the official press release:

Individual VDGG vinyl album releases 2022

The Least We Can Do is Wave to each Other LP
    • A facsimile LP edition of the classic 1970 album
    • newly remastered from the original first-generation master tapes
    • with rare poster
    H to He Who Am the Only One LP
    • A facsimile LP edition of the classic 1970 album
    Pawn Hearts LP
    • A facsimile LP edition of the classic 1971 album (50th anniversary edition)
    Godbluff LP
    • A facsimile LP edition of the classic 1975 album

VDGG — The Charisma Years Box

10. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

I'd love it if the LPs were issued with Vertigo Spiral labels.

Rewriting history I know, but it would just be so cool.

11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

No way ! the Pink Charisma for Least through Pawn and the Madhatter for GB.
    Don't need no Vertigo here.
    I imagine these won't be AAA but I look forward to doing shootouts with my UK and U.S originals.

12. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I’m wondering if I’d missed something:

Re- the forthcoming boxed set: I’ve ordered through Burning Shed and I think there was mention of a signed post card being included.

Will there be any facsimiles of the Least We Can Do poster included with the CDs?

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

13. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

There were a limited number of box sets with postcard included at the outset which sold out rather quickly. I putzed around too long to get one.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  14. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Chameleon and Silent Corner are two of Hammill’s most fantastic albums, and he’s made a lot of absolutely brilliant ones over the years.
    I love the other-worldly nature of the early Van Der Graaf and early PH albums. Hard to beat and an extremely rewarding catalogue :righton:

Buddybud, Relikk, kendo and 5 others like this.
  15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I was enjoying your 5.1 mix of Drastic Plastic last night, which helped to stoke my enthusiasm for the forthcoming set. I was curious to know, of the four Van Der Graaf albums that you were able to remix, which of them do you think benefits the most from the three dimensional surround treatment?

16. stephenwtayler

Hi there! It was so wonderful to work on those four albums - naturally H to He and Pawn Hearts in their original stereo mixes were so creative and wacky especially with the extreme levels, panning and dimensions - not to mention the amazing sounds and recordings - it just invited a similar approach in the expanded soundfield. Hard to pick any favourites, but Man Erg and Plague are among them, along with Theme One and Pioneers. Godbluff and Still Life are less extreme, but still really engaging in this format, atmospheric and hypnotic.

Some of my favourite works ever.

You will have to see what you think!! SWT

17. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Looking forward to this!

ArpMoog and Instant Dharma like this.
  18. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

I only have “Least we can do..” and “HtHe”. I like ‘em a lot, but not how they sound (yes, it’s the 05 remasters), so I never ventured any further...
    That’ll change in a couple of weeks as I’ve just just ordered this set... can’t believe how cheap it is here in Denmark! 107 euros - for that price it’s a no brainer. That’s bang for your buck!

19. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Yes it is sn excellent price and believe or not it is more than double that price on Amazon.ca… As mentionned, I have ordered it from Germany and with shipping it comes down to €144.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  20. RonChrysler

RonChrysler Forum Resident

Very excited that we're now within 2 to 3 weeks of the release date. I've been waiting for this for years, and thought it would never happen. I ordered mine from Burning Shed, due to my past experience with their care in packaging. Let's hope there's a forthcoming companion set with the solo Hammill works. In for a penny, in for a pound...

21. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Agreed. He did the Hawkwind remasters on Atomhenge which I enjoy a lot!

I must confess that I am not familiar with your work, SWT (not that I know of anyway)...
    But I see that you have worked with the late, great, Danish bluesman Peter Thorup back when he was in league with Alexis Korner.
    Is that an experience you have ever written or spoken about? If so, a link would be greatly appreciated.

22. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Yes I also preordered this from burning shed the first day of announcement and got in with the autographed card.....I've ordered a couple of the big crimson boxset from burning shed and they have never let me down....their customer support is amazing too!!.....ref. chloe!!the best.....

Slim Zooms and Norco74 like this.
  23. stephenwtayler

Hi there - I never worked with Peter Thorup or Alexis Korner. Early in my career there was often confusion between me and another recording engineer, Steve Taylor, and as my name was always being misspelt I started using my middle initial W. There are still a number of incorrect entries on Discogs for instance. I have worked with a very broad and eclectic list of artists!! SWT

uzn007 and Slim Zooms like this.
  24. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Discogs is exactly where I got that info. I’ll see if I can correct it later... Thanks for clearing that up!

25. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

"In Camera", especially side 2 is an amazing, disturbing and enthralling piece of music. Wow!

Slim Zooms likes this.