Van Der Graaf Generator coming in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R E Faust, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

It goes with the territory :D

murrays and Music Geek like this.
  2. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Forum Resident

But according to Phil Smart's live list not performing, but only miming.
    Which reminds that I haven't checked the Wondering promo vid yet. Anybody did it, and can say if this also is just miming? The runtime of the Vid is the same as the album version, but the actual single faded the song a few seconds earlier. And the short version of Meurglys III (named here Part One) was the single's b-side

Beeb Fader likes this.
  3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Not sure if many promo videos are live performances. Kind of defeats the point of a promo video really.

4. Jim C

Jim C Forum Resident

I was wondering about that. I’d heard that Burning Shed sold out and that Amazon only had a few left about a week ago. The sales rank on Amazon UK for the box has been very impressive for a while, often placing in the overall top 100, and top 10 / 20 for box sets. And I’ve heard from a couple “in the know” people that Universal is very pleased with sales so far. I wondered if there was any chance in heck that this thing could make a showing in the actual charts. I did look but I looked at “compilations” — was this midweek showing just the regular top 100? Even though it dropped out by end-of-week, that’s still impressive for a very expensive box set to dip into the top 50 of the national charts!

5. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

I remember that a couple of years ago the Gentle Giant box sold out and they had to print another batch to sell.
    Some people on this forum were even p****d off that their precious box was not so limited and exclusive as advertised in the first place.
    Glad to see that there is still a market for these bands that were never in the first row of prog celebrities:righton:

6. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

It’s great and very refreshing!

Now please give us a companion box of Hammill’s solo works from the Charisma era. :agree:

100423, GLYNSTYLER, cut-out and 9 others like this.
  7. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Unless someone wants to cash in on Discogs’ or ‘Ebay’, I am not clear why people would be outraged by a box reprint as music is a shared experience. IIRC this box advertising wasn’t mentioning any specific quantity so I am taking it as it is available for a limited time.

One way or another, the labels will eventually find a way to re-release any box content.

8. jblock

jblock Senior Member

The box is currently $146.95 on Amazon US, shipping from Amazon UK. A true bargain!

9. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Is "The Least We Can Do... " getting a stand alone release? I've got the Pawn Hearts, H to He and Still Life with Godbluff to come yet but can't seem to be able to order the first I mentioned.

10. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Only the four with a 5.1 got stand alone releases.

11. stephenwtayler

stephenwtayler Forum Resident

Indeed - there was no possibility to create a new stereo mix as well as the 5.1 mix for 'The Least We Can Do..." so I imagine it wasn't worth a reissue with just the remaster....

Plan9 and Slim Zooms like this.
  12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

That's a crime the other three didn't get a release if even for the remaster and tacked on corresponding material. Maybe
    Sales may see disc sets for those in a two disc set.
    Hoping sales gives the label confidence to do a Hammill box.
    A lot of Hopeium going on here. :)

13. stephenwtayler

stephenwtayler Forum Resident

I don't actually know for a fact, but I imagine that it all has to be commercially viable - in an ideal world it would be wonderful for every physical format to be made available - but I guess that is why particular specific collections are created.

I personally believe in creating and presenting the overall complete album/project listening experience that is particularly relevant in the physical releases - rather than the rather bitty and separated ways of listening in the streaming and download worlds - but it all has to be appropriate and available for the current world!

Anyway - once again I hope you all enjoy what is going on here - this is a lifelong passion.

So now for me - back on my head - some classic and also new projects awaiting release - and just starting another major back catalogue set.........

NorthNY Mark, Sordel, JakeM and 11 others like this.
  14. RonChrysler

RonChrysler Forum Resident

I'm one of those people who signed up for the reprint of the Giant box. I am so glad they did that, because I was in no position financially to spring for the box on the first go-around, but had things sorted out so I could get the second printing. As a GG obsessive, I'd have deeply regretted missing out on it. Man, what a nice collection. Some might disagree, but I think it's essential.
    I'm of a similar mind about this VdGG box. Totally worth the wait.

15. I'm confused - I ordered two of the standalone sets from Amazon.ca and then received a notice from the vendor stating that the DVDs were region 2 and would not play here. I actually can play region 2 but it's a pain so I cancelled.
    Are these available in region 1 or Blu-ray in North America? I'd love to get the 5.1 .

16. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I bought the box just thinking out loud for those that didn't. Will you be able to code us in if Hammill gets a go or are you sworn to secrecy untill it's official ?

Slim Zooms likes this.
  17. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

A major VDDG set was a no-brainer for me, even tho' I may not even need it. If I don't buy it, WHO would?
    Support.

Instant Dharma and Slim Zooms like this.
  18. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Forum Resident

But from The Least We Can Do an alternate mix exists, the so called Shel Talmy mix which accidentally was released on LP at first. Was it never considered to put this mix on the box too?

LPs of the mix are still in the hand of fans, but I don't know of course if the master tape is still there, when the multi tapes aren't.

19. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Quote by PH from 'Van Der Graaf Generator, The Book', "The band hated it! I never heard it". I'm sure there are others who have studied the differences, but other than the narrowed stereo soundstage, the only obvious difference appears to be the mix of 'Darkness', bringing the vocals of PH to the centre. The version I have was kindly sent to me by a member on here, it's a good recording off the vinyl press, however it lacks the sound quality of the boxed set CD, and details may be slightly buried in the recording off the vinyl. Bands get very annoyed when record labels remix or edit songs without their consent. If the stereo master tapes still exist, it's anyone's guess whether it would have been included.

20. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

I must have missed that news item that the World Health Organisation are investing in this box set.

Interesting that they believe Hammill's doomy musings and the boys' anarchic jams would be of benefit to global wellbeing.

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

:laughup: “Van der Graaf Generator is for Everyone.”

22. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Has anyone else noticed the glitch on the stereo remix of Lost at 3:28-3:30? Still haven’t received my box set but it’s on the Spotify version. Wonder if it’s on the 5.1 mix too?

23. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

I just had a listen to the remix CD and I couldn’t hear anything obvious there.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  24. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Yes, I did notice that. I don't know what that is, a little dropout?
    It's on the stereo remix, but not on the stereo remaster.
    I haven't checked the 5.1, but it would be safe to assume it's there.

hugo.polo likes this.
  25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

As I am doing at this very moment. First it was Sleepwalkers from Paris now Lemming from Rimini. Wow.