Van Der Graaf Generator coming in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R E Faust, Apr 19, 2021.

1. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

I listen to my copy of the stereo remix, hear nothing, no glitch.
    Hm?

2. Godbluffer

Godbluffer Forum Resident

I’m noticing two short moments where part of the sound drops out. To my ears it sounds like tape damage? I must add I don’t find it bothersome.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  3. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I agree, no drop-out in sound on my rip of the BD 24-bit remix.
    I also had a look at the WAV file and can see no obvious drop-out.
    Looks like the Spotify file has been corrupted during their copy/paste.
    I haven't ripped the CD version.

4. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

If you compare the track with the remaster, you'll hear it. Nothing to worry about, a very minor thing.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Okay, so do we prefer the 1971 original or the 1971 second versions for: "W" and "Theme One?" They have some noticeable differences.

6. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Forum Resident

I prefer for Theme 1 the 2nd version for having a better ending instead of the fade of the single. Any other difference there?

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The single is the second version.

The intro of the first version has much more prominent keyboard.

8. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

And at last the box - still in its cardboard case (directly via the record company distributor) - is in my possession at long last. Look forward to listening to these albums with the 2005 re-masters fresh in my memory. Already have a feeling I might prefer the new mixes. Out of all the many new mixes of older, familiar music I have listened to these past few years, the new mixes are often my go-to's.

9. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I don't hear any glitch on the Apple Music version (lossless) or the iTunes version.

hugo.polo likes this.
  10. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

There isn't any glitch on Lost remixed on the physical cd.

hugo.polo likes this.
  11. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Good to know guys. Btw Lost remix sounds fantastic other than the glitch!

12. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Finally got my box today. I canceled my order with MusicVaultz as they still to this day do not have stock. I ordered from Amazon UK and even saved money compared to the Music Vaultz order with their discount.

It is amazing that Amazon UK can ship me this box for only £12 yet BurningShed was charging £66 for shipping. The box that it came in is about the same as what BurningShed would use to ship. It came in prefect condition. Only 1 CD came out of its slot but it is fine.

So now I have lots of listening to do ahead of me. I will even compare some of my first UK press LP’s to these masters.

Gandered through the book and it is really nice. So looking forward to this set.

13. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

Got my box too. I must say that it is awful trend to pack CDs in those horrible cardboard pockets. Thet are scratched from the very beginning the way and one of mine has some fingerprints and removing them of course resulted in even more micro sctarches (It looks to me like plastic used to make CDs is getting more and more fragile nowdays...).

14. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

For those who want to buy the box but still can't find a place to buy it from, it seems that Just For Kicks german store have it available now for the really honest price of 134,99 €.
    I ordered from them a couple of times and their service is top notch.

The Charisma Years 17CD+3BluRay Deluxe Boxset

Electric Sydney likes this.
  15. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

Yes but like all not british stores they have relase date set to tommorow. And who knows if there will be no further delays...

16. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

17. grumpysparrow

grumpysparrow Well-Known Member

There were 11 sets available earlier today on amazon.de (as well as amazon. co.uk, amazon.it & amazon.es) for €124.99 — very good price. They're all gone now. Glad I finally managed to order my set which should be landing on my doorstep on 30th September.

Been a serious VdGG enthusiast for 40 years. Seeing I wasn't able to order the box unless I paid quite a bit more (thank you very much Wonderful Boris & Ever So Lovely Brexit), I could't help but try the new remasters and new mixes on Apple music. The remasters are as good as the 2015 (?) Japanese SHM discs, but thankfully a bit louder. The new 4 mixes, although not having 'the best' DR in some places, are a job VERY well done and, for me at least, are the new must-have definitive versions of those 4 unique and brilliant albums.

Plan9, Rael and kendo like this.
  18. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Amazed people were willing to gamble getting this box over 50 bucks or so.
    I get it money's tight but this was a unexpected gift from the gods.
    I would have ate ramen for months if I had to and gods knows I did back in the day to buy synthesizers and recording gear.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  19. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

If Japan releases this with better packing down the line I'm going to level up.

20. grumpysparrow

grumpysparrow Well-Known Member

$50 may not be that much for you, and that's cool, but I could also say that some people are just too impatient and willing to pay (much) more so they can have the box now. This is a new release and more fair/decent prices can still be had with a little bit of patience.

21. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Maybe try slowing down and reading my post again.
    Nothing to do with patients for me I had fear they would do a small run and be done with it initially. We are talking about a cult band here not a well known act.

22. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

Me to but i doubt it will get japanese relase.

23. keep me posted! I’d also be interested

24. My box finally arrived in the mail yesterday. Since I've only heard VDGG on the poor unremastered CDs, compressed 2005 releases and worn out vinyl this came as a huge revelation. It's wonderful to finally hear their music sound good. This will be in heavy rotation for the next couple of weeks.

Tristero, Slim Zooms, krimson and 6 others like this.
  25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Is the 5.1 only available in the remix? Can you listen to the original mix in surround sound?