Van Der Graaf Generator coming in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R E Faust, Apr 19, 2021.

1. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

It is not possible. When doing a mix in 5.1, you are effectively remixing the song. There was never any other 5.1 mix previously.

Remix is stereo and 5.1.

Plan9, stephenwtayler and yesstiles like this.
  2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Has anyone noted how the remix of Squid/Octopus differs from the original mix?

3. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

Got my box set via Burning Shed last week and have slowly dipped my toe into this beauty. Started with the video disc and the blu rays of the 4 albums. Amazingly crisp, clear and detailed. Pawn Hearts is so good. The live videos are a huge improvement on what I had for years (the Classic Rock Godbluff Live, Masters from the Vaults and The Lost Broadcasts DVDs). The Plague of Lighthouse Keepers video from the Belgian TV studio film is really what got me to go all in on VDGG after years of struggling to get into them due to Hammill's squeaky melodramatic sometimes shrill odd vocal delivery.

I had those DVDs for a few decades, and when I finally got to see them live in their 1st US appearance on stage since 1976 at the 2009 NEARfest, it all came together. What I like about this band is the droning dirty organ, and the power of the band live was something to behold, even without Jackson's horns. I found I could tolerate PHs vocals easier in the midst of the overall sonic attack. Saw them in 2 more small club shows right after NEARfest in Chicago and Milwaukee, figuring I may never get to see them again. Those shows were awesome, especially the intense Meurglys III.

Incredibly, the NEARfest guys were able to get VDGG to come back to the 2012 NEARfest Apocalypse concert, the last one ever, and you can bet I did not miss it! This was a band I thought I never would get to see live, and to see them 4 times in 4 years was incredible. This box set is the icing on the long journey of getting to know this eclectic powerful band.

hutchguv, Sordel, tspit74 and 4 others like this.
  4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I guess there are actually three versions of “W.”

~1971 Original Recording
    ~1971 Re-Recording (mixed 1972 for single release)
    ~1971 Re-Recording (re-mixed 2021 for Charisma Years box)

5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I do not want to start another type of panic buying but Burning Shed posted on twitter that they have sold all their copies and do not expect to receive more.
    Hopefully Universal will make another batch but if that doesn't happen I expect to see prices to increase.
    If you find a good deal buy it now or you will regret it.

Instant Dharma and Putrifiers II like this.
  6. RaceBannon

I also noticed that Amazon's once very good price of $154 is gone and its up to $293 with a "in stock soon".

Norco74 likes this.
  7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wow now $293 at Amazon?? It got down to even $146 there just a week ago.

8. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

At Amazon.de price is still 125 Euros. That's about $146.

9. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I don't think it was remixed?

10. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

[​IMG]

11. stephenwtayler

stephenwtayler Forum Resident

Yes - I did a new mix - actually the point of mixing it was in surround - but I guess that didn't end up being included after all.

The new mix is not very different as it was live to only 8 track, so there wasn't much to play with - except maybe make the vocal a bit clearer.

SWT

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Hey man I may have said this before but thanks for throwing yourself into this rabble (talking about the forum and not Hammill/VDDGs music). So many questions, so many things for us to chew over. This box is pretty damn near perfect.

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Sorry if I missed something in this thread, but was Squid/Octopus re-recorded during the Pawn Hearts sessions, or is the remix of the original recording from the Aerosol Grey Machine sessions? My recollection is that the song was first released as a bonus track studio outtake from their first album, on a CD of Aerosol from Hammil’s Fie Label.

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I think you're thinking of "Giant Squid", which was released on some pressings of the original US AGM in place of Necromancer. Hammill put that on his version of AGM. This one is a studio outtake and was released first on the remastered H to He.

15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

OK, thanks, but in any case this version on the box is included on the Pawn Hearts Sessions disc, so I assume that is when this particular version was recorded, and it seems to be a combination of Squid and Octopus.

16. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Squid/Octopus is the same recording included on the 2005 remaster of H To He (with the name Squid 1/Squid 2/Octopus).
    Actually, it was recorded in July 1971, so it belonged to the Pawn Hearts album, but in 2005 it was moved to H To He album because of cd time contraints.

soundQman likes this.
  17. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I couldn't resist buying it when it dropped to $146 on Amazon US, delivered by Amazon UK in four days. The book is very high quality. The pages are so thick I keep thinking there's more than one page stuck together.

Godbluffer and Electric Sydney like this.
  18. RaceBannon

Normally I have more patience and wait to see an Amazon price drop before pulling the trigger early somewhere overseas. When this box was initially announced and the links went up, Amazon US had nothing, the usual prog centric places I usually frequent were over $200, and Burning Shed had it at the lowest price I could find, about $140 US. The problem was shipping to US, which was very high as others mentioned. I could never find how limited this box would be unlike the Caravan box which specified a set number (2500 I think), and when Amazon's first price quote was a ridiculously high list price, I deemed it safer to go with the Shed, knowing a) I would definitely get it and promptly and b) it would be packed very well. So the extra shipping cost was a bummer but at a few $ over 200, it was the best deal at the time.
    Anyway, those of you who got in at $146, congrats, that's a nice deal, and hopefully you don't have the packaging issues which have plagued Amazon lately with big boxes. Their pricing algorithms on these new box sets are like playing russian roulette lately.

19. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Forum Resident

Yes, it is indeed a combination of the 2 early tracks from the AGM time Giant Squid (as it was named then) and Octopus. VdGG played this combination live in 1970 and maybe still in 1971 (at least Octopus stayed in their set as encore in most shows until their split in mid-1972). The first part was in 1970 named Squid 1 / Squid 2, and a recording of the whole track was made for a Peel In Concert session in Aug 1970, a session which so far only survived in bad audio quality, too bad for an official release, and for that reason missing on the Charisma set. In that version the lyrics at the beginning of Squid are not included.

The version released on the Charisma set is a live-in-the-studio recording, intended for the unreleased 2nd LP of Pawn Hearts., together with 2 more live re-recordings of Darkness and Killer. The last 2 are still lost, but the BBC versions from 1971 of these 2 songs, which are on the set on CD 3 and CD 4, are very close to how they would have sounded. So you can, if you want, "reconstruct" the live part of the unreleased 2nd LP of Pawn Hearts by using those 2.

soundQman likes this.
  20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Oh! Weird they didn't put it on CD15, and keep the original on CD4.

21. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

On that note, I received the box from Amazon.de tonight. The boxset was shipped double boxed in its original manufacturer box to Canada. All in perfect order, not a single disc was found misplaced. $222 CAD shipped.

krimson and eelkiller like this.
  22. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I received all four of the surround packages today. H to He Who Am the Only One doesn't say "dvd-audio" on it like the other 3. I guess they caught the error by the time they designed the rear panel for this one. I ordered them in four separate orders from Deep Discount and none came with any damage. All four arrived at the same time.

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Better not be sold out. I pre-ordered from Musicvaultz and they STILL haven't shipped it yet.

:mad:

24. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Beat ya. Got mine for $209 CAD shipped. ;)

25. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

That is why I canceled my order and went with Amazon.uk. Been enjoying it for days now.Even saved money on it compared to MusicVaultz.

Onrd and Juggsnelson like this.