Van Der Graaf Generator coming in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R E Faust, Apr 19, 2021.

1. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

As everyone else has already posted, these new remixes are really great; Still Life, especially.

Packaging pet peeve: it drives me nuts that the cds all have 'Van Der Graaf Generator' at the top, which is all that's visible when they're in their pockets. Hard to go right to a specific disc—not at all user-friendly.

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Pawn Hearts has never been my favorite. Have always preferred H to He and Godbluff/SL. Granted I am looking forward to one day hearing this expanded full 5.1 of Plague.

Nanotear, Phillipe and Mylene like this.
  3. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Just listened to Vital again. Such a great live album. The Mastering sounds great!

Totally agree there. Wish they would have put text on the cardboard underneath the slots.

As a side note for those worried about scratching the CD’s. I purchased a pack of 50 of the rice paper sleeves for CD’s that have the rounded bottoms. Works great and will prevent the discs from getting scratched.

GnuHigh, Electric Sydney and cut-out like this.
  4. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Yes! or just put the disc titles at the top of each cd!

JulesRules likes this.
  5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I was aggravated by that too but I'm happy with the audio.
    They made the right call with the budget they had.

cut-out likes this.
  6. mountainmaster

mountainmaster Forum Resident

I immediately turned them all to the right so that at least the disc number is visible.

Electric Sydney and cut-out like this.
  7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

I'm still not convinced cardboard can scratch or in any way seriously mark plastic.

Nanotear, yesstiles and uffeolby like this.
  8. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

That's easy to test:righton:
    But pick a disc that you don't need later.

serj likes this.
  9. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

The Chicago Carnegie Hall big box set is a similar setup but that box included the rounded sleeves.

10. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

You maybe right on that. It could depend on how much/often a disc is removed and replaced over time to see the effects of the disc being scratched if at all but as a suggestion it won’t hurt to put them in the sleeves that I mentioned for extra safe keeping for anyone who may be concerned about it.

11. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

It makes micro scratches clrearly visible under light. Of course they do not affect playback in anyway but it still does not look good.

serj likes this.
  12. solent

solent Forum Resident

I noticed a remix of ‘Boat of a Million Years’ on the iTunes version of the set. It comes after the remix of the 2nd album. Is this track on the blu Ray? (It doesn’t show up on the remix CD).

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes it is on the Blu-ray disc.

14. serj

serj Forum Resident

Really in a Top-3 of the worst packaging I have in my collection. Almost impossible to get out CDs without a damage. Of course now I'm keeping CDs in a separate boxes. Which takes more space :((

15. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

It was a great thread, discussing the music, and thanks to SWT for his contributions, but now that the 'delivery' phase that hi-jacked the thread has been replaced by the 'packaging' phase, this thread is now just a place to off-load problems, so time to un-watch. Try to enjoy the music. :)

16. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Apparently you witnessed a rather peculiar VDGG duo concert tonight!
    According to Peter Hammill on twitter, Guy Evans could not travel because of a problem with his passport...
    Duo concert tomorrow as well. They hope to be a trio again in Sweden.

Sorry if this is off-topic (but still better than the CD scratches ;)).

17. grumpysparrow

grumpysparrow Well-Known Member

Very true. And to think that only a few months ago, and for many years for that matter, no-one expected a VdGG boxset of this calibre...

Instant Dharma likes this.
  18. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

I was there, just got home. Peculiar indeed but they survived. Some superb renditions like the encore "House With No Door". Hammill's voice is beyond belief.

19. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

All 4 of the CD/DVD sets are back in stock on Deep Discount. No box set.

20. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Just getting to some parts of this box and... wow, the stereo remix of "Pioneers Over C" is stunning!

21. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Up to the Live Maison. I'm not much of a live show guy but this is revelatory.
    Imagine not knowing much about the band and a friend drags you along, seats down front.
    What a way to be recruited....or condemned. This is the Witch Trials.

Loved both offerings of Still Life and forgot how much I liked World Record.
    Now I'm actually interested in the 5.1s. Have to see what I can do about that.

22. serj

serj Forum Resident

New remixes are very, very good. Really better than original mixes.

23. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

They performed a completely different set last night. Good God, if I only had a chance to see that gig too...

Van der Graaf Generator Setlist at Savoy-teatteri, Helsinki

I bought only the "Still Life" 2CD/DVD set thinking "that'll do" as I have all the stuff on vinyl and cd etc. and guess what? Yes, now I need the other sets too. Better start to save for the Hammill set, just in case.

anth67 and Norco74 like this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That's a pretty amazing set list!!!

anth67 and PhR like this.
  25. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Even more amazing is that in two days they managed to play two completely different setlists without a single song played twice, with one third of the band missing.

anth67, JulesRules, Mylene and 4 others like this.