Van Der Graaf Generator coming in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R E Faust, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Information for the people who use streaming services: I have noticed this morning that "Live at maison de la mutualité" is now available, both as a separate album and as part of the "boxset". Also the "deluxe" version of Still Life which was missing as a separate album (but available in the boxset) is now available as well.

PhR and Mylene like this.
  2. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

There is also something magical in Peter's voice when he starts softly singing Still Life:
    "Citadel reverberates..."

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Listening to it right now. Worth hearing for the drumming alone. The audience really gets into it.

PhR likes this.
  4. Munster

Munster Forum Resident

Yes, that Paris concert is a real find. I go back to it, especially the second disc, repeatedly. Much of VDGG's official live stuff has come from BBC recordings and I have always found these tracks a bit too rigid and too close to the originals to be of real interest. Maybe this is because they have to watch the studio clock while recording these pieces and so keep them as tight as possible. But in the Paris and Rimini concerts in the boxset they really cut loose and seem to feed off each other far more. In one track, I forget which, they each seem to take turns in holding the riff while the three others go off at tangents, and then, as one, they all pick up the theme. Awesome stuff.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They totally stuff up The Sleepwalkers. They all come in wrong on the second half and they never get back in the same groove. The rest of it's totally amazing.

grumpysparrow likes this.
  6. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Forum Resident

The BBC sessions from 1975/76 are indeed close to the album versions, cause the 3 albums from these years are already close to the live sound from the band.
    But all the other BBC stuff is comparatively different form the studio versions. The BBC sessions are actually not really live, they are studio versions, but have mostly a semi-live feeling, are interesting for the differences, are closer to the live versions than to the album versions. And for that very interesting. Excellent stuff.

The only real live tracks from the BBC are on the In Concert from 23.9.71, and here we have a very different Killer.

Also the GiantSquid/Octopus tack represents very much the live version. Too bad VdGG did not record a complete album of it, after the 2nd album of Pawn Hearts was cancelled, by just using the recorded 3 tracks and adding songs like Aquarian and Afterwards.

The 2nd half of Sleepwalkers from Paris also features some technical difficulties, as Hammill's voice is in parts barely audible.

7. Jim C

Jim C Forum Resident

That may be more to do with the recording equipment than anything else. I have an audience recording of this show and PH’s vox are heard fine throughout. The Paris ‘76 concert is a highlight for me (maybe *the* highlight) but I’ve been enjoying SWT’s new mixes as well (absolutely stunning with a decent set of headphones). There’s so much to enjoy with this box. Glad that it sold out and even *gasp* made the charts in various countries.

8. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Forum Resident

Of course, that's included in the term "technical difficulties".

Yes, the Paris concert is an absolute highlight. I loved the 2 tracks (from the broadcast) we had before in good quality (with some hiss though), and I was electrified when I read that the complete thing would come. and it contains a few unique things, at least compared to other recordings I have from that year.

The Paris audience boot ain't one of the better recordings of 76. But there are some more which are a good addition.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They all seem to come in in the wrong place in the second half of Sleepwalkers, then Hammill's piano is feeding back like crazy and his voice is all but inaudible. Pity because the whole sequence from Mergleys 3 into Gog and Sleepwalkers is otherwise amazing.

10. Steve@39

Steve@39 Forum Resident

Pawn Hearts is in my top albums of all time list, and I have a copy of the CD which Peter Hammill signed for me back in '97 when he did an intimate solo gig here in Melbourne Australia-nice guy. I think it was for a record label exec's birthday. Always look forward to more VDGG material coming through.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I was there. He said he'd never seen so many copies of Killers, Angels, Refugees in one place before. I got my 7"s signed but was too scared to hand him a bootleg but some guy did and he gladly signed it. I was prepared for him to break it over his knee.

It was Roger Grierson (ex Thought Criminals) birthday and Phonogram records threw him a party for dragging the label into the 20th Century.

Instant Dharma, downer and PhR like this.
  12. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Thinking about getting the CD/DVD of Still Life and Pawn Hearts. Any opinion on the mastering/transfer quality of the original stereo mixes in Hi-Res on the DVD of these two will be appreciated. Also curious, how they compare with the original mixes on the Redbooks.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The original mixes' masterings are the same on the CDs and DVDs.
    They sound much, much better than the horrible 2005 remasters. Classy masterings of great transfers with minimal compression and tasteful EQ.

Pete Puma, kendo, albertop and 4 others like this.
  14. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Thanks, good to hear they treated these great albums with respect.

15. jirie123

jirie123 Forum Resident

Dear forum members, sorry for my stupid question. Only four albums VdGG was released as DVD-Audio remixed?
    Thanks for your reply.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Nothing stupid about your question. Yes, only 4 of them were remixed on CD/DVD combos.
    They are not DVD-Audio with lossless surround, though, but standard DVD-Video.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  17. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

My package finally turned up... thanks AusPost for not dropping it off the back of a forklift from a great height.

I also ordered the Faust box in the same package so that's my outre-prog listening sorted for the rest of the year.

Only downside to this handsome package is the CD foldout. Could they have used a thicker cardstock for the folders? Ol' Meatfingers here is liable to tear it during general use (as I did to the Tangerine Dream Hades box, which has a similar design).

18. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

I suggest that you take the discs out only once, and then store them in regular jewel cases. In that way you can place them safely on the shelf with their sisters and brothers;)

ramokoff likes this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. I have the box but I was wondering then what resolution the albums in stereo play from the cd/dvd combos?

20. brankin172

brankin172 Senior Member

Flaming Torch likes this.
  21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

On the DVDs they are 96/24 PCM stereo (and lossy DTS 96/24 and 48k Dolby 5.1).

Flaming Torch likes this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

23. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

Might do. I generally rip them for my server but sometimes you just want to put a physical disc in the player. The book a good read, too.

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just got the four cd/dvd sets, so far I listened to the surround H to He and Pawn Hearts discs. Very well done transfers, I wish they were a bit more aggressive but still excellent. The 24/96 Stereo mix is excellent better than all the original and reissue CD’s. Wish they could have done The Least We Can Do…, for me the sad note is that a local friend was a major Van Der Graaf fan and sadly died before hearing these, so here’s to you Werner.

25. SomethingAnything

SomethingAnything Forum Resident

A great box set and a lovely sentiment.