Van Halen / DCC GZS-1129 is pretty super!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poweragemk, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member Thread Starter

Just got this today from an eBay buy it now auction I jumped on last week. Imagine my surprise when I opened it only to find "Not For Sale" printed on the inner ring! A promo! Woo! There was also a hole punched through the barcode, and (stranger still) TWO back inserts stuck together from the hole-punching. So, if anyone needs an extra back insert for their VH, pm me and we'll work something out...:D

Also, this is definitely the best I've ever heard the album. The standard WB remaster is pretty good, actually, but this one kicks its butt in at least one area: bass. Mike Anthony is just about in the room with you, and in fine n' chunky form. Kudos to SteveH for improving that which I didn't believe could be improved.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing on my crappy headphones and discman, but this jumped out at me immediately, which is always a thrill for a recording that one has heard umpteen times.

Woo!
    --MK

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

MK, yes, it is pretty super! Of course, the following phrase applies (I think everyone will agree with me :D):

The [INSERT TITLE HERE] DCC CD is pretty super!

:)

3. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Hey, let me know if you don't like that ugly "Not For Sale" print and I'll trade it for a "clean" copy! ;)

Joachim

4. poweragemk

Not on your life, Joachim....:D

BTW, Steve, how did you get the bass to stand out so much here? Were the standard WB and remastered WB eq'ed?

--MK

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ya think?

I used the original master mixes, the box was marked "Do Not Use", naturally. Everything else used the EQ Copy Cutting Master that had the bass shaved off and a bunch of treble grain added. Such is life.

6. poweragemk

Sweet. I'm sure Michael Anthony was pleased, too, having been restored to his massive glory.

Anyone WTB a WB Remasters series VH1? :D

--MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.