Van Halen - Rumored Activity and Plans for 2017 (Update 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dislocatedday, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member Thread Starter

I somewhat regularly read Van Halen sites, and in particular the forums at vhlinks.com. There are some posters at vhlinks that have been quite credible and accurate in their relaying of information regarding the VH camp, so while these initial reports may still be unconfirmed for the time being, they often turn out to be correct.

The latest "rumors" from reliable sources actually have me excited about the state of the band, and here is a brief summary of them:

1) VH have been actively recording new material together (with Dave) at Ed's 5150 studio, and have quite a bit of new songs recorded already.
    2) VH will be putting together a career-spanning box set to be released by Warner Brothers, which will cover all eras of the band.
    3) Wolfgang's solo album should be released sometime next Spring.
    4) The new VH release(s) should come out in the later half of next year, with a subsequent tour with Dave fronting the band. There are some indications that Dave had or has some health problems, and that if there are setbacks with his health it could have an impact on touring.

Any VH fans here can go read the thread discussing this at vhlinks.com for further information. I do know there are still a large number of VH fans here at the SH forums, and I take this information as positive signs. I still absolutely love the 'A Different Kind of Truth' album, so the idea of new VH material does bring a smile to my face.

flako, PDK, Terrapin Station and 20 others like this.
  2. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Hopeful for a new album since I was impressed with A Different Kind of Truth.

Also hopeful for a European tour, which becomes less and less likely with every passing year. It's amazing that they will be back with Dave for 10 years next year and still haven't done one run of Europe. They were always bigger in the US but I'm sure they would be a credible headliner at most of the summer festivals.

pexie, johnny q and WhoTapes1 like this.
  3. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd be genuinely shocked to hear any new VH material, but as always, I would love nothing more than to be totally wrong about that.

5. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

If all true, that would be absolutely fantastic news! I hate to hear that Dave may have some health problems - hopefully nothing serious (I thought he was invincible!). I love ADKOT and a new studio album with Dave would be awesome!

6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I hope Dave is alright, that he got over the problems whatever they are and is not suffering now from anything.

I also am looking forward to the new album, the retrospective box set, and selfishly want to SEE THEM LIVE AGAIN!

No Bull likes this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Man,
    there's NOTHING on vhlinks about this!

8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It's in the "Fake ROTHARMY Van Hagar news?" thread - Page 128

I'd link it but I'm not sure if linking to other forums is allowed.

dislocatedday likes this.
  9. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I'm finding info about this on VH FB pages too - sounds like it might could actually happen from what I'm reading.

steveharris likes this.
  10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I hope this is all true. I hope the new album is produced and recorded well. I hope Dave's health issues are minor.

I'd definitely buy the new album and likely go to the show if it turns up in my neck of the woods. As far as the box set, I just recently bought all the Recent reissues and they're really good. I think the box is actually something I can resist. I'm usually such a pushover it kind of prides me to say that.

No Bull likes this.
  11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I'd love to see a box set if they could manage to do it right and put some unreleased stuff in there. But seeing as this is VH we're talking about that's unlikely.

Anyway, I read the thread and I don't really buy it. My feeling is people with inside info don't share it, and people that share it don't really have it.

12. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I loved A Different Kind of Truth, so I am happy to hear they are possibly recording more.

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Michael Anthony.
    'Nuff said.

14. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Dave is fine. And he is in SoCal right now, having been spotted at a Studio City cigar shop this week.

[​IMG]

jjay, jason100x, hi_watt and 12 others like this.
  15. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Please yes. Set a new high standard, maybe? Eddie seems to care so much about his tone. Why not present it as nicely as possible?

16. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I hope this is true, but with VH I won't hold my breath.

I just home some day they open the vault up and give us some shows from the past.

17. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

The original post pretty much contains everything I want from Van Halen at this point. Box set, new album with Dave, (not mentioned are the remasters of the Van Hagar albums) etc. They could skip the touring imo since Dave did sound horrible on the live album they released. A Different Kind of Truth had every chance to suck and it was shockingly good so I don't care if the new album uses older demos/ideas. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

2141, No Bull and WarEagleRK like this.
  18. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

A new album with all new material and no re worked old demos would be amazing

a career spanning boxset will be a must!!

19. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Looking forward to a new studio album---great news!

My dream (if the box set comes to fruition) would be:
    Disc One- early demos
    Disc Two - Live Pasadena 1976 (or was it 77?) used to have a boot---they did lots of covers
    Disc Three - Live show from Fair Warning tour (they had some video footage on MTV years ago)
    Disc Four - Us festival show...and anything else they can uncover.

20. dislocatedday

Yes....sorry for leaving the info out about the actual thread where this is discussed, as it would not be evident from the thread title over there at all.

Thanks for pointing people to the right thread here. It is the one you noted.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So, is that you with him?

22. dislocatedday

I am hopeful, and would tend to think, that any boxset would include demos, unreleased tracks, and live tracks.........not just simply material from all the released studio albums. I have no idea just how much worthwhile stuff they have sitting in the tape racks at 5150, but besides the unreleased stuff that already circulates out in the wild, I have to imagine there is a good bit more beyond that. This type of boxset could be absolutely killer for a VH fan. I'd also hope that they include some pro-shot concert videos that are not circulating out in the wild already. From what I have read, there are known professionally filmed shows from the 1980 WACF and 1984 tours. If these were shot on actual film they could do HD transfers and put them on blu ray.

Hopefully this all comes to fruition.

bru87tr likes this.
  23. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

A Van Halen/Dave new album, boxed set and tour is the holy trinity for me. It's hard not to get excited at the news, but there's been so much incorrect and specious speculation in the past that it's probably not worth getting too worked up at this point. I mean just a month ago we were all bracing for another Sammy Hagar reunion tour.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The last thing Dave's voice needs is cigar smoke.

maxnix, Chris DeVoe, bru87tr and 16 others like this.
  25. dislocatedday

Well, it is good to see Dave is in SoCal right now, and not in Tokyo where he has lived for much of the past few years. Hopefully his presence there has something to do with VH :D

No Bull likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.