Van Halen - Rumored Activity and Plans for 2017 (Update 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dislocatedday, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I think everyone is attaching way too much importance to the R&RHoF. It’s a load of old tosh.

ODShowtime, Purple, Sean and 13 others like this.
  2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

As good as the first album or Hotter Than Hell? I don't think so. But either way that's just a matter of opinion.

Still, Creatures of the Night and Lick it Up and all that had no bearing on whether they got in. What got them in was what they did in the '70s

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Perhaps, but they didn't get into the Rock Hall based on "Creatures".

You can argue their 80s non-makeup resurgence helped them get into the Rock Hall - without it, they probably fall into the "forgotten relics" file.

But it's really just the 1970s that mattered in terms of their legacy...

4. JCade821

JCade821 Well-Known Member

The RnRHoF was just pulling rank on KISS. Pure opinion, but it just seemed like the rock hall was just sticking it to KISS with the originals only approach.

Then again Gene and Paul seem to admit that the original lineup is all that mattered with Singer and Thayer in the 70s makeup.

5. Oatsdad

This wins the award for Biggest Troll of the Day - congrats!

6. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I will agree the 70s are the main basis, but you always hear about Creatures and LIU and Revenge (which frankly has not aged well but I digress), so I’d be fine with some of the later guys getting in.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Stay Frosty!!

CybrKhatru likes this.
  8. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Yes, we know that’s a common opinion. Doesn’t mean we can’t still discuss it.

Efus, Ryan Lux and twicks like this.
  9. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

This is accurate.
    And this is, too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Former Lee Warmer

The whole thing is, for sure, but when they induct a band, they should do like they did for the Grateful Dead and induct everyone, period.

For Fleetwood Mac to leave Bob Welch out, or the RHCP to leave Navarro and Sherman out is just...it taints whatever there is left to taint. And Pearl Jam snubbing the drummers who played on their best albums is just silliness. But they've always been revisionists...

11. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Don't get me started on that "comedic" montage in Pearl Jam: Twenty where they imply they were like Spinal Tap in order to get around Abbruzzese's importance.

12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yeah, but you have to concede one thing to Wenner and the RnR HoF.
    Pretty amazing the amount of debate, print, and thought that goes into an institution that just about everybody thinks is a bunch of bullsnit, eh?

We have met the enemy, and he is us. - Walt Kelly

13. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Is it a big deal outside the US? No one really gives a monkeys here in the

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  14. Former Lee Warmer

Absolutely - they wouldn't have been as big as they were without Abbruzese, and there wouldn't have ever even been a Pearl Jam without Iron's introducing Vedder to Gossard/Ament...

The way they've airbrushed those guys out of their story is laughable.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  15. Former Lee Warmer

It's not even a big deal here in the US - I haven't watched a RnR HoF induction since like 2002.

DrBeatle likes this.
  16. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I don't know.
    But again, for an institution that nobody gives a rat's ass about, we certainly spend a lot of time talking about it.....

So, what state is Newcastle Upon Tyne in, Ohio? :hide:

Hell, its been said VH means nothing in Europe, yet we seem to have a handful over there that do dig it....

17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

You could argue that Carr, Kulick, Vincent et al actually kept the profile after their perceived expiration date, helping differentiate them from the non-Hall acts like Peter Frampton or Nazareth or something that was popular in the 70s but not acts who endured and stayed in the spotlight and currently aren't in the Hall. You can make a case that if not for Run DMC and their MTV comeback hits, it's likely Aerosmith wouldn't have gotten in either, except it was the reunited classic lineup that brought them their second wivd, unlike Kiss where Ace and Peter were nowhere to be found in the 80s and early 90s years that kept them in the spotlight until the inevitable reunion

MechanicalAnimal6 and twicks like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oh, I couldn't possibly care less which members got inducted. Just opining that Kiss didn't get into the Rock Hall due to their 80s or later work - beyond my belief that without the renewed success in the 80s they might've vanished entirely, that is...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Ed IS to blame for that (Ray Danniels had a hand in that as well). With no Dave or Sammy to tell him enough's enough, and Ray getting in his ear about whose band it is (and pushing for Cherone to enter), it was a perfect storm.

DreamIsOver and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

I'm not doubting you at all. It's just a matter of Ed's history. Personally I think they're done. He'll do for Wolfie if Wolfie asks but that's it.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  21. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Would DLR tell John he's working with VH? Maybe, Maybe not. I think DLR is itching to go. If Ed isn't doing anything with Dave, I don't get why he and John can't release that album. Would love to hear it. Also would love an EE&S tour if that ever happened. Hell Dave and John 5 on an acoustic tour would be fine by me as well!

Queezma, Matthew Tate and Efus like this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I concur, but I think the 80's/early 90's members contributed much to the band's history, even if that history wouldn't have happened without the 70's band. But there's plenty of other cases where this has happened (Trujillo with Metallica, Matt Cameron with Pearl Jam, for instance). The band did have success, even if it wasn't on par with their 70's efforts, so it wouldn't be like inducting all the mid-80's members of Santana or something. But it's in the past.

Matthew Tate and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  23. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Uhh, how about the guitar?? Love him or hate him, EVH revolutionized the instrument. His technique re-wrote how guitar music is written, and his fiddling with guitars and amps changed the way they are constructed. He's a modern day Mozart, and I think that would be considered "memorable" by any standard.

24. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Justin Bieber is hugely successful, too. So what?? The disproportionate list of very successful **** acts since 1990 is endless. Being successful as represented by downloads is like endlessly collecting friends on FaceBook -- quite meaningless in terms of authenticity.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    PDK, wavethatflag and Zoot Marimba like this.
  25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.