Van Halen - Rumored Activity and Plans for 2017 (Update 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dislocatedday, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Except Dave knows that singing VH hits at a Vegas residency means he'll never be on the big stages with the brothers again.

2. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Maybe Diamond Dave will open for ZZTop! :yikes:

ZZ Top Musical Coming to Las Vegas in 2020

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

He tried that in 1995 and it was a disaster.

Many people assumed that Roth's "shtick" would easily translate to the Vegas atmosphere. After all, he's a "showman", right? Right?

Well, Roth's first Vegas stint proved that he wasn't so much of a "showman" as he was a wannabe Catskills comedian with a hackneyed routine and bad timing. The one thing that Roth (and his ardent supporters) never figured out is that it takes more than just canned lines and a ####-eating grin. You've got to sell the act. You've got to convince the audience -- night after night after night -- that you believe every word that you say. And Roth has never been able to do that, even in the '70s and '80s. When Roth would try to deliver a joke from the stage ("Hey man, I'm gonna #### your girlfriend!"), he delivered it like a bad actor reading from a teleprompter.

Also, his '90s Vegas act was filled with warmed-over tropes from the '50s (e.g., a chorus line of dancing girls). Maybe if he ditched the stereotypes and the bad jokes and just stuck to a straightforward "storytellers" type of show, he might actually be able to pull it off this time?

4. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

That quote reads to me like Dave just taking any question and running with it. Like if they'd asked about opening a coffee shop his answer would have been the same "I'm looking into it, people are excited" ramble.

That photo at the top of the article is sobering. I respect that Dave has lived his life and wears that mileage proudly for all to see. But when he gets into his "David Lee Roth is cowboy hats and summers and bikinis and fast cars" schtick I start to wonder. Spiritually he may be the same guy but for the general public this current man neither looks nor sings like the David Lee Roth they equate with those old feelings.

I feel like a DLR Vegas show could be wildly embarrassing and have people trickling in and pouring out.

5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Well, that's pretty much exactly what happened in 1995.

I enjoyed his solo spots on the reunion tours. But that's because he wasn't trying to do a full-scale Vegas act -- he was just up there with a guitar, telling stories. If he does another Vegas stint, he'd be much better off if he stuck to that kind of show than if he tried to bring back his vaudeville shtick.

bru87tr, Doggiedogma, Queezma and 2 others like this.
  6. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

He should just work on his singing a little bit and do a small venue tour of his solo hits.

You're welcome, Dave. No charge for the advice.

7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I would love to see Dave do an evening of monologues and stories. Just come out and lay some Dave wit and wisdom on us for 90 minutes..

JoeD, PDK, Doggiedogma and 3 others like this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

While we're still speculating, I thought I'd post this here for anyone who might have missed it over on VHND. They're photos of the band at a Peaches Record Store signing in Philadelphia in 1979! There are so many freakin' cassettes on the walls and under the glass counter. You can also see the old Ticketron logo painted on the back wall. I haven't thought about Ticketron in a long time.

http://www.vhnd.com/2019/05/19/unea...ecord-store-signing-at-peaches-records-tapes/

9. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Love the girls in the Cheap Trick shirts.

longdist01, Purplerocks and jhm like this.
  10. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

which is a shame, cause Gery is a fantastic singer and i always felt VH3 was a dang good album...too many simple minded people that call themselves
    "fans" of Van Halen....the "DLR only" type of people are the main ones that probably hate it, cause the greatness of that album goes right over there heads.

whozy whozy bop!!!

BobFever and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

agreed....to say only the original lineup of Kiss or Van Halen were the only lineups that caused those bands to get into the RRHOF is just flat out laughable.

12. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

So Dave’s just posted that he is playing pinkpop festival this year...using a picture from back in the day...

Doggiedogma, FourWalledWorld and jhm like this.
  13. They both easily deserved to be inducted based on original lineups only.

The question is: would they be inducted if they only existed as bands with members after the original lineups dissolved, ie. The Elder and 5150 being their debut albums? I say no.

NaturalD, wavethatflag, marcb and 3 others like this.
  14. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

Classic Rock magazine uk is running a story from Michael that he was approached last October but ‘something went wrong’

wavethatflag and Doggiedogma like this.
  15. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I was about to ask is this with a solo band until I realised Armin van Buuren (the DJ who he "collaborated" with on the "Jump" remix) is also at the festival so it's probably just an appearance with him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

Alex is so cool he carries a back-up pair of sunglasses.

17. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

18. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Says a lot about the abused nature of the Van Halen fanbase that an in person meeting between David Lee Roth and the Van Halen brothers elicits little to no conversation.

Personally I think this indicates that the one thing we're closest to is Wolfgang's album release. VH has a chance to do something but only to help shine a bit of light on what the young man has created.

I don't think we're ever getting any more new studio music from the band so my hope is that Dave is seeing the Van Halen brothers to discuss business, maintains his public politeness, and gets on with releasing the John 5 album.

I really don't want to see Dave butchering the hell out of Dance the Night Away just to sell a Wolfgang album.

bruce2, Murph, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think Vegas is a much different beast than it was in 1995, particularly with regards to hard rock shows.

Granted, I don't think Dave is vocally strong enough to do a successful solo show like that. He could tour in the late 90's/early 2000's doing a mostly-VH set because people were so hungry to hear those songs, but now that they've had three huge tours playing basically the same setlist and most people have had a chance to see an old-Dave fronted VH, I don't know what demand there'd be to see Dave croak his way through those songs with a band of anonymous henchmen. (Even the EEAS band, as awesome as it'd be, would be a cult interest thing, at best)

Matthew Tate and PDK like this.
  20. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Which is exactly what every Van Halen fan is waiting for. :rolleyes:

That and more official EVH shoes.... :disgust:

21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

That'll probably be the next van Buuren remix lol.

22. I really don't get what a "Wolfgang Van Halen" album would be? The one record he "played" on sounded like his old man on bass. And I have my doubts he ever played live on either of those tours, especially the first.

What would he ever write lyric wise? He's lived with mommy and daddy all his life. What music could he write? What are his influences, if any?

I'm sorry, but I doubt there is even a album, if there is, well...Who in the world would buy it? The only people that know this kid even exists are VH fans. If EVH bank rolling and releasing this? Why would a major label, especially now 20 years since their last "real hits" sign this kid?

It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Matthew Tate, Odysseus and bru87tr like this.
  23. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

By asking these questions (which are all very good questions btw) you've expressed, by far, more interest in a Wolfgang album than anyone else on the planet whose last name isn't Van Halen or Bertinelli.

painted8, GoodKitty, Murph and 3 others like this.
  24. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Said it before and I'll say it again: The only thing I'm interested in from a VH perspective is a legitimate commercial release of "live" material from the Fair Warning>Diver Down>1984 eras in some sort of DVD/CD/Vinyl combo package...something like this is so overdue it's ridiculous!

I could probably get semi-excited about new music if it were to come from the original line-up, but any type of reunion tour is sure to disappoint - with or without Michael. I love Dave, but he just can't hack it live anymore...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Harman, Tree of Life, jimhb and 6 others like this.
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Forget about his stint on free radio replacing Stern in a couple markets after Howard went satellite?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.