Van Halen - Rumored Activity and Plans for 2017 (Update 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dislocatedday, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Thanks! :cheers:

artfromtex likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Got the link?

3. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

The live album with Roth is certainly uneven but it is really live warts and all. You Really Got at the end of the first disc is awesome and most of the second disc is very good except the Encore of Jump. Dave has his moments on this album and is still pretty entertaining despite some of the bad vocal sections but most bands would overdub rerecord parts or remove entire songs. I enjoy every era of VH but I still like Dave the best.

Doggiedogma, artfromtex and bruce2 like this.
  4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

From 12 years ago:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. swandown

^^^^ Dave's voice is better-suited for bluegrass music but I think "Jump" was a poor choice to showcase it. Some songs can successfully translated to other genres......but "Jump" is not one of them.

6. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you. Where is this from by the way? It looks like SNL (?), but I could be wrong.

7. swandown

Tonight Show with Jay Leno, June 2006.
    He also performed it that month on The View (LOL):

WhoTapes1 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

Thanks again.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

he sounds better in that bluegrass clip then on the recent VH tour

10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I love Michael Anthony, but I don't see his return selling thousands of extra tickets each night if all this is is just another tour.

danielbravo, PDK, vamborules and 2 others like this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, maybe not, but the hardcore DLR-era fans in this thread, myself included, would not miss that show.

12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

If you're going to sellout, go big.

Original band w Dave/Sammy, Wolf opens.
    Its about the 2 Van Halen brothers, the only constant through the whole life of the band.
    It'd be so....California. :whistle:

Any band(s) still out there from '70 to '90 after Wolf's band opens, and it could make a pretty good show.

burningedge and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. WarEagleRK

Does Wolf even have a band that could open? Still waiting on the solo album that has taken 3 years.

bruce2 likes this.
  14. WarEagleRK

That's still a far cry from the prediction of instant sellouts if he was back.

PDK and WhoTapes1 like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I agree, and what would be the point? For them to phone it in and make a ton of money? The brothers already hate Roth and now let's add another guy they hate? That would be a hard pass for me, even if I still had any interest in giving that band my money. Then again, I rarely have interest in reunion tours that are basically money grabs (I passed on the Genesis and Police reunion tours a decade ago for the same reason).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I'm kind of iffy on how much of a push Mike would be, although I would certainly welcome it.

17. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

I think new material would generate some interest and maybe a mini accoustic set on a big tour.

Who knows maybe smaller intimate shows could be interesting... but does the band really want to do this?

Zoot Marimba and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

A chip off the old block or perhaps he is waiting for Jimmy Page's new solo album.

DrBeatle, Roberto899, JasonA and 2 others like this.
  19. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

It's really a shame, but at one point decades ago, Van Halen had a tremendous legacy and cache pretty close to Led Zeppelin and in large part due to Eddie's ego and laziness, Van Halen is now on the level of a ZZ Top or Cheap Trick (great bands, don't get me wrong but no longer headlining arena draws). I think even Aerosmith is a bigger draw and more respected now. That there is (fan) talk of a band like Def Leppard or Journey *headlining* a tour with Van Halen as support is just disheartening to me.

I agree to a point

To die-hards, Van Halen will always be a notch above many of the bands like ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, etc., but in those same die-hards eyes, they realize what's come & done.

Diamond Daves voice isn't even close to what it was in the 80's.

The wasted years of bickering and Michael Anthony's firing.

The wasted years of going softer than a baby's ass.

Eddie Van Halens Howard Hughes-esque existence.

Diamond Dave and his non-existent mane of golden locks

As far as co-headlining...that would sell more tickets but it will also raise the price of them/Plus, like when Def Leppard & Journey toured last time together each band played only 16 tunes apiece.

If I'm going to pay those prices, I want to see at least a 22 to 24 songs set-list from EACH band, not some watered-down number.

Matthew Tate and JasonA like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you're really overstating the impact Anthony would have on ticket sales. Most people don't care that he's not there - "Van Halen" = Eddie and DLR to the masses...

PDK, Roberto899, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  21. Oatsdad

I don't agree with that. ZZ Top and Cheap Trick haven't headlined arenas since the 80s, whereas VH still did so only a few years ago.

Even a "diminished popularity" VH could still sell 10,000 tickets a show, I think, whereas ZZ Top and CT can't come close to those numbers...

Matthew Tate, Jimmy B. and Oliver like this.
  22. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I disagree, many DO care that he is not playing bass and touring. The initial push for DLR is back, but sorry no Michael, was ok because DLR was back, but it was not sustainable after the initial tour because it was a “saw it, but it needs something more for to see again” feeling amongst the public. That “something more” that is needed is having Michael Anthony back with the Halen’s and DLR, the public won’t shell the big bucks and fill stadiums to see Wolfgang on bass. If VH tours again and the band and mgmt wants to play arenas / stadiums and charge high ticket prices, then Michael Anthony has to back and touring with them. The hype machine will be cranking and the public will again be interested, this is the only way IMO.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I agree completely. It's regrettable that Michael Anthony isn't there anymore give that he's a big part of the background vocal sound but I doubt very many care about that. Besides, given how he was treated even prior to his dismissal, Anthony would be a complete fool to ever think of returning.

Ed

Roberto899 and twicks like this.
  24. Oatsdad

I agree "many" care - but not enough manys to make a substantial dent in ticket sales.

Crud, Fleetwood Mac are touring without Lindsey Buckingham - much more recognizable to the masses than MA - and still selling fine.

As I said, the return of MA would move some tickets, but not a substantial amount. The notion they'd go from partially filled arenas in 2015 to sold-out stadiums in 2019 just due to the return of MA is total fantasy...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Money heals all wounds! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.