Van Halen - Rumored Activity and Plans for 2017 (Update 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dislocatedday, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burningedge

burningedge Forum Resident

I'd go see this. Wolf opens. Then, Van Halen playing with Michael Anthony and rotating Roth and Sammy maybe every four songs. Let Roth open and close the show. I think the combo of both singers AND Michael Anthony returning could sell lots of tickets if marketed well.

bru87tr, Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Just as long as no one has to talk to each other backstage.

Purple, longdist01 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Agreed. Even include Wolfgang as rhythm guitar. Then midway through the show Father & Son perform dueling solos.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Michael Rose

Even in 1996, DLR's vocals were sounding a bit strained. That said, I still love "Me Wise Magic"

5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Mike has made it pretty clear he's open to coming back, but I agree it wouldn't make all that much difference. Some...but not that much. They could have done something with the anniversary of the debut this past year but they didn't.

Anyway, in my opinion the main thing that's hurt their draw is they really only appeal to the people that were around the first time. They don't really have a strong appeal to younger generations. And... also just my opinion...the main reason for that is their catalog is basically split down the middle between two singers.

And unlike other bands that have had multiple lineups, in this band you only get the material from the lineup you're seeing. So, if you leave out ADKOT, which unfortunately only diehards cared about anyway, the last record by this band is 35 years old.

Obviously Wolf wasn't in the band then so it's not technically 'this' band..but still. The newest 'hit' you're gonna hear came out in 1984.

Now, personally the last thing I ever want to hear at a VH show, or anywhere else for that matter, is a Sammy Hagar song.

But some people do. And that audience can just forget about it...so they don't go.

And then when you consider that they really didn't play Dave songs when Sammy was in the band...yes I know they played a few....those original era songs kind of got stuck in the oldies file before their time.

And as we know the VH bros have done absolutely f-all in the way of archival releases or really anything to renew interest in that old stuff... They really haven't done anything to bring new people in. so their stuff just doesn't appeal to younger crowds in the same way maybe GnR or AC/DC can at least to some extent.

6. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

One of the reasons that Dave's vocals were strained on "Me Wise Magic" is because he didn't write the song. Eddie and Glen Ballard had presented him with a completed song, which contained several sections that were too far out of Dave's range. That's part of the reason why Dave initially rejected the song (along with the fact that he didn't like Ballard's lyrics). But they couldn't come up with a better song to record, so eventually Dave agreed to record MWM (but with rewritten lyrics).

Dave's voice sounds pretty good during the spoken parts and during parts of the chorus. But everything else is about a step too high for him.

I have often wondered if Dave's vocals could have been "resurrected" if he had made a concerted effort to take care of them (tutoring, vocal exercises, cutting smoking, etc.) The whole thing is a big mystery to me. I mean, does he even realize how terrible he sounds sometimes? (Because if he does realize it, he doesn't show it, and he sure as hell doesn't make an effort to conceal it.)

Oh well. Throw it on the pile of all the other What Ifs and Missed Opportunities that have come to define Van Halen since 1985.

7. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I think with Dave the whole "showman" thing supercedes everything in his world and he does think that makes up for the quality of the actual vocals.

Matthew Tate and Michael Rose like this.
  8. Michael Rose

Yeah I recall hearing this song for the first time and thinking: "Where did ALL THIS (high vox) come from? I mean Dave's main tenure featured a few tunes that have him screaming and screeching at small intervals; not an entire chorus.

ian christopher and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Never said “sold out stadiums”, but they would improve, a lot, on ticket sales with Anothony versus no Anthony.

bru87tr likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You claimed VH might be able to play stadiums with MA.

Sold out or not, that's still fantasy...

11. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

This is why I am kind of surprised by a lot of VH fans indifference to ADKOT, I know there were about six or seven songs that were previous demos but the band sounds great on the album including Roth. I liked the reunion tracks but they sounded forced and rushed. ADKOT is very good and in my opinion underatted in their catalog.

12. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I tend to disagree with both of you. It's the brand that matters the most, not who's actually in it - to a greater extent, anyways. Put up an ad for a hypothetical "Van Halen" linuep of Hagar, Alex Van Halen, MA, and, I don't know, Warren DeMartini, and you'd still have strong sales. Fans a pretty fickle, but they mostly want to hear the songs. Some acts still do great business with few or no original or classic era players (c.f., Foreigner, Blotzer's Ratt, etc.).

ian christopher likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

But if it's just the "brand" that matters, then why did the DLR reunion tour blow the doors off ticket sales for the last few VH tours prior to it?

The public cares that DLR and Eddie are in the band - they won't go to see a "Van Halen" like the one you describe.

Obviously a "Van Hagar" tour would do better numbers than the band you mention, but I kinda think the Sammy ship has sailed. With DLR's return 11 years ago, it feels like that's the "final word" on VH: it's DLR or nothing.

Anyway, Eddie has to be there, period. No way an Eddie-free VH does any kind of business...

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

"Van Halen" did this in the summer of 1995 in Europe/UK. Sammy wrote about how AVH/EVH still did their guitar and drum solos during their shortened sets.

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate, Doggiedogma and JasonA like this.
  15. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I saw that tour at Gateshead. After Rush, VH are my favourite group - but they were on their last legs then - Alex wore a massive neck brace, Eddie had hip issues, Balance was, up to that point, their worst record and supporting Bon Jovi just added insult to injury...

Doggiedogma likes this.
  16. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I'm probably late to this one (I usually am) but rumors abound.

bru87tr, artfromtex and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Judging from the video thumbnail, it looks like Eddie Trunk is replacing Alex.

18. Oatsdad

Hey, but it means MA has returned - fans rejoice! :D

19. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Can a gort change the thread title to reflect "2018"? Or better yet, "2019"?

20. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

How about "Van Halen - Nothing Is Ever Going To Happen", that way we're covered past 2019? :D

21. Michael Rose

Of all the popular Live albums released; why
    That is nuts. They were riding pretty high with the 'Balance' album and tour in the U.S. .

22. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Even better.

JasonA likes this.
  23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Like Motley Crue, Van Halen were far less popular in Europe than they were in the USA.

24. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I haven't gone through the 43 pages (especially considering this was a 2017 anticipation), but I heard David Lee Roth say they might be playing Yankee Stadium, after saying he isn't supposed to say anything.. I then heard some audio from Eddie Trunk saying it would be a complete reunion.

25. Oatsdad

Not sure if we've discussed that in this thread, but it came up in another thread about the interview itself.

No way VH can play stadiums on their own - even with MA back in the fold...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.