Van Morrison Album by Album Discussion: Part 1 (1968-1977)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Ah, a boy and his dog. :angel:

Guy E., I do the same things with my CD-R comps, and needledrops especially. For the needledrops I scan the front and back covers and sometimes do lyric booklets, if I'm feeling particularly crazy. I have to say, your Hard Nose cover looks a lot more inviting than the "official" one. If anything has kept me away from that album all these years, it's that cover!

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

thats a mighty big dog, as you can see from my fresh new avatar (Iron & Wine took me off the payroll:laugh: )...my real dog is a whole lot smaller...has the same ego as this one in the drawing no doubt.

3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Is that a Scotty? How appropriately Celtic.

I remember reading a story by Jame Thurber in which someone was commenting on "tough" dogs. They were dismissing Thurber's Scottie, when a local tough offered, "Don't underestimate him, I saw a Scottie take the tonsils out of an Airedale once." I don't condone dog fighting but I got a laugh from that. It does describe Scotties they have a lot of heart. The ones I've known were natural comedians also.

I did like the cover painting from Iron & Wine but nothing beats the real thing. Maybe you should pose with two Scotties in front of a Manor House for your next release.

4. DJ WILBUR

he is indeed a scottish terrier and yea, i'm sure i'm sure he could wrestle with an Airedale without even a thought. shocking how "tough" he can act around some dogs...still he's pretty loveable and always friendly, but he is a scotty and i'm always very cautious til we've not gotten acquainted with another dog. takes him a second to warm up to most.

mostly he loves every dog and very playful...but this guy must always be top dog around any dog and he's willing to fight any male for that status, other than that he's a total sleepy mushy pet....oh and he pretty much stops traffic whenever I walk him. amazing how much attention this dog actually brings my way....:laugh:

5. Sneaky Pete

I promise not to digress after this, but I remember when my English Bull Terrier was a puppy. He was playing with a Scotty pup, the Scotty would take a long run at my dog and head butt his side, rolling him right over. It was funny to see, and they loved playing together.

Now back to VAN.

6. DJ WILBUR

digress away if you want...frankly there hasnt been any real discussion on this live van album since the 6th of November....:cry:

7. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks. I agree. If anyone has info about what songs were recorded where and when, that would be great. Haven't had a chance to download the files from itunes yet, but hopefully I will do just that any day and revisit these recordings for this weekend. Must confess, my initial reaction upon listening to the album, in the late 80's, was thinking why so many cover songs. And I was uncertain about the stylings of the more epic Van songs. At that time, I didn't love Jazz like I do now, though, so I'm anxious to relive the concert experience of ITLTSN. Ain't Nuthin' and Warm Love hit me hard though, as did I Believe To My Soul -two of the "covers," of course :p - and Here Comes the Night was nice as well.

8. Sneaky Pete

Yes, sort of the sleeper track of the album. He sneaks it in but I like the version. I don't think he does it in concert too often.

9. Solaris

We've all been recovering from those Guy Fawkes' Day celebrations we went to the night before.

Oh boy, I've resorted to history jokes, it needs to be 5 o'clock soon.

10. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

I have a badly-bred, over-size Cairn who, at his fighting weight, is a solid 28 lbs. I'd put him up against any size or kind of vermin on the planet. he's all heart and teeth. I love terriers. They're so stubborn it's sometimes hard to see how smart they are, but if you know how to train them they are great dogs.

Back to Van. It's late here and right now I'm listening to Magic Time on my trusty Senn 580s. It is a fabulous recording, as far as I can tell.

Tim

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't know either but I'm sure it couyld be found out.

The Wild Night boot from 5/21/73 is a fans favorite, kind of the unmixed rough versions from this era's live takes. It also totally smokes.

12. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Allegedly Van/Michelle's wedding night was ruined because Brian Kennedy, who was hiding in the closet, kept repeating every word Van said.

13. DJ WILBUR

anymore thoughts on this live package before we go looking for the veedon fleece????

14. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Jason to the VM thread with sedation---STAT!!!

15. Solaris

ZAP!

I don't pull no punches, I don't push the river.

Oh damn, now he's got ME doing it.

16. DJ WILBUR

i'm just sayin...it seems like Linden Arden stole the highlights on this albums discussion.....does it comfort you all this lack of discussion on the live one?....it's so sleepy in here, Come Here My Love lets go back to my cul de sac to see if i can figure out who was that masked man?

I'm ready for Veedon when you all are:whistle:

17. Clarkophile

Heh-heh, I get it.:idea::idea: <----Bulbs

18. DJ WILBUR

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

1984 is one of my all-time favorite albums...

Sorry, I thought this was a Van Halen album thread. :winkgrin: :hide:

[​IMG]

Nice avatar, DJ!

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, it's a grat looking package, the original album with tri-fold jacket and die cut holes for labels. Nice one there.

21. DJ WILBUR

just for that smart a s s :tsk: (i just love this emoticon and I look for places to use it)

...as I was saying BEE.....we'll be expecting your disertation on Veedon Fleece before the end of next weeks class....

22. DJ WILBUR

oh I've never seen a vinyl on this one. I need to find an original on this one.

23. Clarkophile

Me neither. Tri-fold? Sheesh, they spared no expense. Jeff, what's the inside look like? Just the standard shots of the musicians?

24. dee

dee Senior Member

That would be wonderful!

25. Clarkophile

Except for my blunder of including "Send in the Clowns" and "Satisfied.":hide::thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.