Van Morrison Moondance best vinyl pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Yes I know. Good to hear they sound the same.

2. EricMack

EricMack Forum Resident

CA

3. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I picked up a copy at Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago with the RTI on the bag and it was the new @CA version.

However, I was at a different B&N today and saw they had an exclusive colored vinyl version from 2016. According to the Discogs Van Morrison - Moondance entry the deadwax shows it is the SH+KG @ATM mastering. The color is ugly but it might be the only sure way to find a new copy that is the AAA cut. Anyone own this version?

4. Macman007

Macman007 Sitting mId-way between 2 very large speakers

I don't know anything about the newer pressings or remaster/reissues, however my Tan Label WB US pressing sounds dead quiet with excellent sonics from top to bottom. Bass is deep and full, mids are warm and enveloping, trebel is detailed without being sibilant or harsh. I can't find any reference to the matrix numbers anywhere online. They are (Side 1) 0 BSK-1-3103 JW2 #3 SP 1-1 (Side 2) 0 BSK-2-3103 JW4 #1 1-1 .This is a 80's reissue, gatefold with barcode on the lower right rear. Since I cannot find any info on the matrix numbers, I can't tell you who, when or what was used in pressing it. I can say that it sounds every bit as good as my Green label Warner Bros. first pressing, and much quieter over all, between tracks as well as run-in/outs.

I'd like to know who the mastering engineer is, with when and where. I paid 10$ for this copy, and it was still sealed, well centered and dead flat. As someone pointed out above, this is a good LP to use for demo's, its just that good. I can't see spending more or buying anything newer, since as Steve pointed out, the original analog master tape is not useable for transfers at this point. It would be interesting to know what RTI and the rest are using today as their master ???.. Perhaps an earlier Safety Master or archived digital file from the 90's or 2000's. When did the master tape go bad to where its unusable I wonder,.. how long ago?

Mine also included a generic clear rice paper inner-sleeve and the gatefold jacket is from the thicker darker cardboard. The fabel is printed inside like the originals. If anyone knows more about these matrix no's please post below. I'd like to know when and who was involved along with the other pedigree stuff..

5. Beatleboy1968

Beatleboy1968 Forum Resident

I am hoping to buy the Rhino Moondance ATM cut that sounds wonderful.
    The vinyl I can buy is numbered
    8122795035. On Discogs it states that this is an EU pressing.
    Pardon my ignorance but is this the best sounding version
    Thanks in advance

6. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I've just purchased a "Back to vinyl" copy. It's still SH/KG ATM. At 14 euros, a steal.

jumpinjulian and Beatleboy1968 like this.
  7. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

May we ask where?

8. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I saw one at Barnes & Noble not too long ago.

9. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Orange, right?

I bought two copies of Moondance, one from Music Direct and one from Amoeba, both advertised as the 2008 remaster, only to have both show up as the CA cuts.

Then got an email from Amazon advertising the Summer of Love orange vinyl, supposed to be the same cut as the earlier ATM pressing. Waiting for it to arrive to confirm.

I did manage to track down a KPG @ATM remaster of both Astral Weeks and His Band And...

Haven't listened to the second yet, but Astral Weeks was just simply gorgeous sounding.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  10. scottc1963

Summer of 69 Rhino is the orange one. That's the one I am going to hunt down.

11. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Like I said, Amazon had them, but it was one of their affiliated vendors, and not sure how many copies.

I had been looking all over for one of the ATM with no luck, and this forum led me to the Summer of Love version, but all they had listed at Amazon were used, I think.

And then, last week, based on my search history, they sent me an email recommending this to me, I checked it out, and ordered one.

12. Beatleboy1968

Summer of Love 1969 Orange vinyl sounds sublime. Definitely one to get !

13. scottc1963

Thanks for the info

14. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

in Spain, Europe. They are all over the place

15. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Got to play my Summer of Love orange vinyl Moondance today. Sonically, sounds gorgeous. Pressing isn't dead quiet, but pretty good, except for a couple of "shrkkk" sounds in the first couple songs of side 1. Not horrible enough for me to return it though.

Soundstage was huge. The acoustic guitar in the right channel on Crazy Love and Stoned Me sounded like it was coming a good 3-4 feet beyond my speaker cabinet.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  16. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Just bought "Van Morrison - Moondance [New Vinyl] UK - Import" from get_importcds on the bay for $18. It says it is the UK 2015 release with 081227950354 barcode. Will be interesting to see what I get.

17. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I can report that the Moondance I got from the bay mostly matches this discogs entry. The matrix matches but the KPG... part of the matrix is very hard to read. The labels are slightly different than pictured. It has "Warner Records" top rim text and a different logo instead of the traditional WB. Also more bottom rim text.

18. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

The pressing is also nice and quiet and sounds great. I'm going to go for the Astral Weeks pressing which is also under $20.

19. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

But the orange vinyl version is from digital or analog master ?

20. Beatleboy1968

Am quite positive it is AAA. It sounds superb !

21. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

I read on Rhino.com that the orange vinyl is the 2013 remaster.

22. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident

I have Moondance and CSN from the Summer of 69 Rhino Collection and I'm highly impressed with both of them. They sound immaculate and the packaging is beautiful too. Nice and thick gatefold covers. I might buy a couple more from that series.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  23. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Which is wrong. The 2013 is a deluxe digital release. They didn't cut a lacquer for a CD release.

24. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

Just received mine from Amazon US. The album is pressed in Germany(Optimal) and has ATM etched in the dead wax on both sides. KPG on side 1 and KPG and SH on side 2.

25. Can anyone confirm the orange vinyl is KPG&SH @ ATM?