Van Morrison - "Three Chords And The Truth"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mystic Avenue, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Van did "Comfortably Numb" as a personal favor and it seems obvious to me that his heart wasn't in the song although he performs it well enough.

The truth is, Van's tastes are not the same as those of so many of his aging boomer fans, and he has zero interest in pleasing anyone but himself. I have said this over and over -- Van has made, at most, three records since leaving Them that you could classify as "rock", and he clearly hates at least one of them (Tupelo Honey). Anybody who expects him to go back to the '70s album-rock well is not a true fan. He thinks that music is stupid and, for the most part, so do I.

For me, I'm grateful he doesn't waste his time and energy on that stuff and focuses on the music that truly inspires him. I did think the last two albums were kind of dull but when he's on (as he was on Versatile, Born to Sing, and even Duets) he's ageless. And I already know all the 70s album rock and singer songwriter stuff that boomers want to hear Van cover and I'd vastly rather him introduce me to old blues and r&b artists I'm not as familiar with.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

wavelength probably his last rock-ish

DTK and Maggie like this.
  3. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

This is wonderful! :love: Shades of 'I'm Tired Joey Boy' which to me is a sweet thing!

Is that Georgie Fame swirling away at the Hammond in there?

4. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

I've read that keyboardist John Allair is on the album. He's played with Van in the past. He's from San Francisco and sometimes plays solo gigs there and also is a piano tuner. An excellent Hammond B-3 player.
    Of course, I can't be sure he's on that particular song.

D.B. and willy like this.
  5. the pope ondine

Vans sound since late 80's is like a comfortable old shoe.....it goes down smooth.

6. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I like the album title...sometimes that's all you need for good music.

7. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Bit harsh on A Town Called Paradise, as for me the song is about realising that that stuff isn't important to him.

"It doesn't matter what they say
    It doesn't matter what they do
    All that matters is my relationship to you."

D.B., Rockford & Roll and Maggie like this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I think I'm excited for this album.

People are saying it is all sounding the same... it good be just wishful listening... but to me this sounds more like vintage Van than anything I've heard in literally decades.

D.B. likes this.
  9. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Tupelo Honey....Rock...:crazy: There are equal amounts Country,R&B,Jazz,Gospel,Folk,etc.. I never considered TH a Rock album....never!
    As a true fan I don't expect him to go anywhere but if wants to go back to a 70's album-rock it won't hurt my true fan status or his as being the greatest artist of any era.:p

10. the pope ondine

true. his girl probably had to hear a good 30 minutes of van ranting about those copycats stealing his songs for that drive though

11. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Ah but then she got that squealing feeling :)

the pope ondine and ruben lopez like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Judging from the three tracks released so far this might turn out to be a great Van Morrison album. The man has yet not managed to rekease a bad album-I find most of huis output at least good. Good however is not the same as great but I find these three tracks great with an extra plus for Days gone by that is astonshing
    We soon find out

D.B., DTK, Oyster Boy and 2 others like this.
  13. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

The only Van albums I really don't care for are those where the production wasn't a good match for the voice/material. For me, Wavelength and parts of Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart fall into that category - Van should ban synthesizers from his recording sessions.

tms766 and mark ab like this.
  14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Has anyone found an order listing for this on black vinyl?
    All i'm seeing is pre-orders for a cheesy silver looking pressing.

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I really like Wawelenght-partly because it has a different sound from most other Van albums
    I like Vans trademark sound but a change once in a while doesn t hurt

Oyster Boy likes this.
  16. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I find Wavelength a very uplifting album, but in a different uplifting way to some of his other stuff, if that makes sense.

17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I remember seeing Van live during the Wawelenght era. As far as I remember that also was a very uplifting experience with Van in a very good mood.

Rockford & Roll and Oyster Boy like this.
  18. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

I thought Wavelength was a bit patchy (though as other poster states sounds a little different to other Van albums).

When it is good it really hits the mark, Natalia, Kingdom Hall and the wonderful title track.

But other stuff such as Venice USA, Lifetimes and Santa Fe do nothing for more - still the brilliant Into the Music wasn't far away!

Back to the new album, I'm really impressed with what I've heard so far. Quite excited!

19. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

Is that US pissed, or UK pissed? Either makes sense to me!

JP Christian and the pope ondine like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I love Santa Fe
    :)

Fender Relic and Snow2 like this.
  21. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

I don't mind change, and welcomed most of Van's mercurial career diversions, but the synths on much of Wavelength just completely take me out of the mood (and Van's best is all about mood).
    The title track with its "Pete Townshend was here!" synth vibe is probably the worst. Van's best is timeless; if I'd never heard Wavelength before and someone played it for me, I'd likely say "sounds very late 70s..."

D.B. likes this.
  22. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

This is hardly a complaint, but it's so hard to digest any of Van's work when he's so prolific (and you have other music you want to listen to). Before I ever have a chance to return to one of his albums for a repeat listen the next one is already out. But looking forward to receiving this one Friday anyhow.

Frank Discussion likes this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

24. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

I've enjoyed the glut of Van material that's been made available over the last several years. Excited about the new release of all original material this Friday.

I agree that it is hard to digest all the new material. I think his joining up with Joey DeFrancesco was a brilliant move. The only album that I really didn't connect with was "Versatile". I'm not sure why.

D.B. likes this.
  25. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Oyster Boy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.