Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece (Emerald Green Vinyl) February 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mystic Avenue, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Think we will get a release outside of this club since a stamper is now available or does the club own all the rights to it?

2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

bummer. i'm assuming GZ. how's it sound?

3. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

The inner sleeve serves as the lyric sheet, and it also comes with a very nice original print. I must say i am very impressed with the packaging of this record, and by packaging i mean, the outer and inner sleeves, cover art etc. It screams of attention to detail and a real desire to make a nice product. I have yet to give a determination on the quality/sound of the pressing, and i am slightly disqualified as I do not have the original to compare it too. I will provide an update in the thread.

teag, D.B., GuinnessDan and 2 others like this.
  4. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

That's true, and even Van said so ;)

limoges, JeffMo and lucan_g like this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

;):righton:

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Looking forward to it :)

7. madspirit

madspirit Active Member

I received my VMP copy yesterday. I also have a super clean original US copy (noisey). My take: First, my VMP copy has several pressing imperfections...loud, repeated clicks etc. I'm well used to new releases having occasional ticks/clicks (straight out of the gate) that I just learn to live with. But, these are loud and repeated in sections. So, I've already asked for a new copy from VMP. I thoroughly cleaned the VMP copy and it helped a little, but the imperfections are still there and, overall, not acceptable. A/B sound comparison: To my ears, the VMP version has more clarity/air on the high end, but the bass is light and had to be dialed in. My original has more "natural" low end, but seemed a little duller on the top end. FWIW: I bought my original copy in super clean condition (one previous play from the original buyer who purchased it new in '74) and it was/is noisey in sections as well. Not pressing defect noisey...just made from crap materials noisey. All in all, I think the VMP reissue actually sounds better and, if not for the obvious and super distracting clicks, I'd be well happy with it. Nice packaging as well. FWIW#2: Playing both on Pro-Ject Xpression II w/ Nagaoka MP200 into McIntosh MA-6100 out to some Elac B6.2.

8. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Sometimes a couple of cleanings and a couple of plays will smooth things out a bit. I sure hope so, as I joined the club to get a copy, an early subscription exit might be called for.

madspirit likes this.
  9. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks for sharing your experience and take on the VF release and what your pressing of it is like that you received.

madspirit likes this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

Discogs had a few copies available at some prices that seemed 'reasonable' to me fwiw.
    Don't know if those prices are still in the $10+ neighborhood of the club's $29 + more for shipping if one cancels the club membership?

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Hmmm, doesn't look emerald green to me. More like 'moody shamrock' or 'burnt pickle'

12. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I have been a member of VMP Classics (jazz, blues, soul) for more than a year, and and had no issues with the monthly releases, all very nicely done.

John D. likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What were some of those other titles? Were they all black, or some colored vinyl?

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I’m fairly certain that all the VMP releases are in colored wax.

Also the VMP website lists every release, even the ones that are no longer available. I haven’t joined but my understanding is that if the record of the month isn’t one you want you can just swap it for something else they have in stock. There’s some really good stuff Vinyl Me, Please

I do own one VMP release that I purchased second hand — Arctic Monkeys debut on smoke brown vinyl. Sounds better than the CD for sure but it also isn’t exactly an audio marvel to begin with...

quicksrt likes this.
  15. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Some of the VMP titles are color vinyl and some are black.

VMP has their monthly featured albums in each of three categories: Essentials, Classics and Rap/Hip-Hop. I belong to Classics. The monthly selections come with an OBI, and small booklet with an essay about the monthly selection.

Besides the monthly feature that is mailed to a subscriber, VMP carries other records in their store...some are exclusive to VMP and some not. Some of the non-featured records are color vinyl, and some not.

I have received 14 or 15 records from my monthly Classics subscription, and purchased about 20 additional. I have not listened to all of them.

Off the top of my head, these are some of the VMP albums I've played. All sound great and no defects. All of them are great music. The Eddie Gale and Carla Thomas were artists I did not really know well, and the albums are quite special.

*Gale, Eddie Ghetto Music Blue Note (grey white marbled vinyl, 45 rpm)
    *Getz, Stan Jazz Samba Verve (black vinyl)
    *Roach, Max Percussion Bitter Sweet Impulse (black vinyl)
    *Nelson, Willie The Words Don't Fit the Picture RCA (color vinyl, 45 rpm)
    *Richter, Max Sleep Deutsche Grammophon (marble color vinyl)
    *Thomas, Carla Comfort Me Stax (black vinyl)

Each month, if the VMP subscriber does not like the upcoming selection, they can swap it for a monthly selection in another track. For example, this month I could have swapped my selection in Classics for the Van Morrison Veedon Fleece in the Essentials.

I have not swapped any monthly selections yet. I like the surprise each month. My latest just arrived yesterday, Buddy Guy's "Left My Blues in San Francisco".

Vinyl Me Please has been a great club for me, with great jazz, soul and blues selections in the Classics Track. BTW, Newvelle is another great club for those interested in newly recorded jazz, with modern artists, on audiophile recordings and vinyl pressings.

16. John D.

John D. Senior Member

What day of the month is the upcoming selection emailed out to members?
    and how long do have to decide on what to do? or do they automatically send a
    selection if no action is taken in selecting? I'm not having any luck finding this info.
    Thanks

17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

They hold NO rights to it at all, they were granted a licence to distribute a limited number of copies. Presumably because Sony isn't keen on doing so at the moment (which is a shame : we might have gotten a SST / MPO pressing like we did for Too Late to Stop Now).

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

not gonna lie, this sounds pretty good. i'd say worth owning if you're not one who enjoys hassling with trying to locate a reasonably-priced vintage copy let alone one that isn't noisy.

GordonM likes this.
  19. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

I received my VMP copy of Veedon Fleece and thus far have only played side one. The vinyl is quiet, clear of defects and flat. I did think the equalization favored the treble. It sounded brighter.

I then did an A/B on Fair Play with my first press promotional copy, which confirmed my initial impression. The VMP is equalized to emphasize more highs. And, more importantly, it did not have as much warmth in the mid range. Big difference in the upright bass; it has more depth or oomph on the original pressing.

20. Michael Hogan

Michael Hogan Well-Known Member

Just got mine. Packaging is excellent. The sound quality is up to the original; likely subtle differences but overall it sounds terrific. Mine came with a pressing glitch on side 2--a small swoosh from lead in to run out that is not deep, but does make some minor clicks just before the last song. Not irritating enough to send back. Overall a nice addition to any collection. Fair play to VMP!

vonwegen, The Sage and GordonM like this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I want one without any pressing glitch or swoshy run in or run out.

I guess if I want a month they will have unloaded all of that run, and I'll get the next run on a better day.

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i don't know that they do that. once they're gone, they're gone.

23. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Typically there’s an over-run for faults, but as stated there tends not to be any re-pressed (there have been exceptions to this)

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Do you yell at speeding trains too?

25. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

After sitting of the fence for this release I succumbed today and subscribe to VMP. As I live in New Zealand and that's not a country they ship to I have to use a US based drop shipping company - this is going to be an expensive purchase for me! I hope it lives up to my expectations (which are that it sounds great, has exceptional packaging and may have a few small clicks and pops that aren't too distracting...).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.