Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece - what a great album!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tangledupinblue, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

The Japanese is both very quiet (as expected) and really good (not as expected). I prefer it to my UK original in fact.

2. The Sage

The Sage La equidna pincho mi bebida

I’m lucky to have a clean copy of this also that I bought new - it’s sonically way better than an original Aussie edition I picked up recently.

3. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

asdf35, dee, Buda and 1 other person like this.
  4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

dee likes this.
  5. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'm tempted too. I have a second-hand copy but just a paper inner, is the inner that comes with the reissue the same as the original?

6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

my USA original has a standard paper WB sleeve from the era.

I haven't read the whole article on the VMP website, but they often enhance the package
    with new artwork and so it wouldn't surprise me they created the new inner sleeve,
    got some other photo outtakes from the era and designed one that fits the LP jacket.

[​IMG]

7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Hmm, not familiar with Vinyl Me. Can I join for $29, get Veedon Fleece, and quit the program?

Kamaaina1 likes this.
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

yes, you can do just 1 month, but there is some shipping cost.
    The titles often show up for sale at other sellers, discogs, amazon market, etc.

dee and asdf35 like this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

wish VMP would not be so coy about the source/cutting, but it is very nice to see such an elusive album get a much-needed reissue. in case you get the loathed GZ warp/off-center/scratched/noisy LP, VMP is very good about getting replacements sent.

dee likes this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yeah, looks like Legacy had this prepared. They've done a great job on the other titles,
    but it would be really nice to know the details.

Everything You Need To Know About Our Van Morrison Reissue — Vinyl Me, Please

Remastering and package-wise, what can you let the people know?

This one was remastered from the original tapes a while ago and the label was sort of waiting on the right time to reissue it, so we used that version. It’s on translucent emerald green vinyl, 180-gram. It’s got a pearlescent tip-on jacket, that gives it a glistening effect.

wbhendrix, dee and GentleSenator like this.
  11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

they're so gung ho about selling packaging and are typically a little flippant about the nitty gritty of the pressings themselves. when only a small percent of your customer base are folks from this forum, i guess there's no real reason to divulge much more. but yeah, it would be nice to know. audio nerds are people too.

Nrochie4184 and hamicle like this.
  12. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

Yes, I made a big stink on the VMP Forum about this and caused a bit of a stir. But my point stands that this album deserves a proper AAA pressing. I hope others agree.

Cassius, DeRosa, lpfreak1170 and 2 others like this.
  13. James spencer

James spencer Forum Resident

This is, perhaps, my favourite Van album. I would definitely be in for a AAA press. Still, realistically, what are the chances? Van's catalog doesn't really seem to be on the fast track for reissues and I doubt Veedon Fleece would be at the top of the list anyway.
    I don't really know much about VinylMe Please....but I'm thinking of taking a punt on this. My current copy isn't the quietest slab of vinyl in my collection and clean copies are thin on the ground.
    I dunno.....

14. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

Yes, I have a very nice looking US Promo Copy and it still plays loud. The vinyl in 1974 just wasn't up to snuff. This is my favorite album of Van's, right before Astral Weeks. I think having this on a new slab of wax will allow for a different vibe, as long as they don't totally blow the remastering job. I'm still excited about this release, but will hold out hope that we someday get the real deal.

15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Listening to my OG US right now better than VG+/less than nr. mint I don't know how to accurately grade one like this...really clean. I'm sure a dealer would have nr. mint on it. Anyway, it has minimal SN and it's a great afternoon listen. Just noticed the shrink on the cover has a faded Hess's dept. store sticker...$5.29.

Adamski777 and dee like this.
  16. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I had a bad car crash whilst listening to this album. Coloured my view of it for a long time but yeah, it is a great album. Top 5 Van no problem.

17. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

I obtained a *sealed* original US pressing of Veedon Fleece a few months ago... it sounded amazing, but there was more surface noise than I'd ever expect on a new LP. I think the vinyl used by WB or contracted pressing plants at the time must have been compromised (recycled, etc). I've noticed this on some other mid-70s LPs I own. Veedon Fleece needs a low noise-floor due to the dynamic nature of of the recording.

As others have pointed out, this one just SCREAMS for a AAA Rhino KG or CB treatment. Disappointed to see the Vinyl Me, Please reissue; they seem to value object-fetishization over sound-quality.

At least the original WB CD of Veedon Fleece sounds great, for a fall-back. Even a late-70s German release I got of the LP was noisy.

Adamski777 and Nrochie4184 like this.
  18. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Updating my earlier post. I have a test pressing that has sonics like my promo first press and is also fairly quiet.

I joined Vinyl Me Please and will buy this new one and compare.

Anyone have the matrices from the 1980’s reissue some folks have and like?

MagneticSouth1966 likes this.
  19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

While i agree with the preference for KG/AAA etc, and I'm not the biggest fan of VMP,
    but read the copy from the article, this was remastered by Sony's Legacy division,
    originally going to be a label reissue, but was shelved. It seems like the only reason
    this is being released is because VMP ordered the copies pressed, otherwise would have
    sat in the vault.

dee likes this.
  20. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

The funny thing is that here on the Forum we fetishize sound quality!

Just ended a two-year long subscription to VMP, mostly because of the cost, but they do have some great titles available, many of which sound very good to great.

jgrillo likes this.
  21. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

Perhaps my use of the term "Disappointment" was too strong; it will be good to have this album available and "discoverable" by new listeners. I do hope the sound is solid; this doesn't change my feeling that this album is utterly in the AAA Rhino wheelhouse (as is John Cale's "Paris 1919", another amazing early 70s WB release).

Cassius and DeRosa like this.
  22. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Couldn’t agree more. For me, it isn’t just the highlight of the album. Could be Van’s greatest song overall. Many just don’t know it. Never became mainstream like his others... one of the best over his long career.

MagneticSouth1966 likes this.
  23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

mine is quite a string, but it's an Allied pressing with the WB "shield" logos label + barcode on the sleeve.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

Well Done, Good Reading.

I only have a 1c/1c and the pressing I have any background noise etc. is quite minimal and mostly unobtrusive, really very little that interrupted the sweet dream that is VF. As far as the sound of it, it is very hard for me to imagine any additional 'presence' or 'clarity' in the vocals especially, or in some of the string instruments, that wouldn't put the tone 'over the top' to my ears - the sound of the vocals as they are seem just right to me. The colored vinyl and print etc. of this new edition though is something I would like to have.

25. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes and how sad that he didnt seem to like this album!!

I think the conditions he was going thru at the time ultimately resulted in probably one of his BEST albums!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.