Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece - what a great album!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tangledupinblue, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I bought VF decades back when it was a cutout. I've always like "Fair Play" a lot and "Linden Arden" too. Isn't Dahaud Shaar (David Shaw) the drummer on a lot of this album? He used to be in the band Chrysalis, whose one album "Definition" was always a favorite of mine.

2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Thank you for the thread.
    I just had to reacquaint myself with this LP. Sure sounds like I need a new pressing.
    It's clear this sits release sits along side Van's finest works.

Just getting lost in the music ...........

Rickchick and JeffMo like this.
  3. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Definitely one of his better albums. Good writing and an effective display of Van's strengths.

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  4. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

What are anyone's thoughts on the different digital versions of this album? I have the 1997 cd, but only my noisy US lp to compare it to.

I pulled out my US lp just to hear if I was too harsh on it in my earlier post, but no, the vinyl quality is pretty noisy throughout the whole lp. Too much to be enjoyable for the most part.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I definitely like the original Warner Brothers CD over the 1997 remaster. IIRC the 2010/11 remaster is the same mastering as the 1997 just with bonus tracks added.

6. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Having seen this thread, I thought I'd give it a spin or two having not played it for a while.

For me side 1 is better than side 2 although his vocal style on Who Was That Masked Man is irritating. Bulbs, in that country-style, seems out of place on this album.

Overall it's a good Morrison album although I wouldn't rate it as highly as St Dominics Preview which after the first 2 is the finest of all his albums.

7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

100% agreed.

Diff'rent strokes I guess ... Veedon is my favorite Van album while Dominic's is one of the few I can't connect with.

8. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Streets of Arklow and Bulbs are easily my favorite songs on Veedon Fleece. I think it's a very good one, but I wouldn't put it in his top 3.

9. Topcheeseman

Topcheeseman Forum Resident

I know what you mean about Bulbs but that was the track that pulled me in all many years ago and I can't rate this album highly enough now. Of all his albums this one can sooth the soul!

Rickchick likes this.
  10. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Yes it is. Along with Tupelo Honey, probably my favorites I pull out more than the others.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I love Van from this period. All the way up to Beautiful Vision. After that, for me, it's more of a curate's egg thing.

steelinYaThighs and rating008 like this.
  12. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Cool. I went ahead and ordered what I think should be the original Warner Bros CD. I'll see how that compares to the 1997 issue I already own. Thanks for the recommendations!

13. I_Zimbra

I_Zimbra New Member

I think I was fortunate to pick up a well cared for used LP a few years ago.

Fair Play is one of my favourite Van Morrison tracks. The album I put 2nd between Moondance and Astral Weeks.

14. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

I'm not the biggest fan of Bulbs, but pretty much love everything else on this.

16. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Only Astral Weeks and Moondance in Van's catalog top it for me, and it's very close to those two. Nice to see this one get some raves.

Don't Pull No Punches and Fair Play are my favorite cuts, but it's all good.

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  17. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

"Linden Arden" is my favourite Van song ever. It's great that he's been playing the odd "Veedon Fleece" track (e.g. "Streets Of Arklow", "Fair Play") live over the last few years.

18. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

Pretty sure you'll be trying to figure out what to do with that remastered disc once you have a listen to the original.

19. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Yes, If I remember the remaster is No-noised and compressed some, but its not horrible, just when you compare it, quite obvious.

20. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendations for the original WB cd!

I've had some time to compare the 1997 remaster to the original WB on my modest set-up and agree that the WB is the way to go.

I haven't compared waveforms or anything, but the original WB sounds less compressed and is quieter than the 1997, which gives the WB a more natural, dynamic, and open feel in comparison. Van's vocals seem almost grating on the 1997 disc in places compared to the WB and the bass on the WB is smoother and less tubby than the 1997 disc.

I'm pretty certain the 1997 is not no-noised, as the amount of compression on the mastering brings up the level of hiss to very audible, almost intrusive levels compared to the WB disc.

The WB is a nice, "crank-able" disc. :thumbsup:

21. crombie

crombie Forum Resident

I wasn't aware of this reissue. Was it an overseas import only?

22. crombie

crombie Forum Resident

Okay, misunderstood and see that you are referring to the VF reissue,not philosophers stone :righton:

23. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Are the UK and Japanese vinyl pressings of these as noisy as the U.S.? This is another (like Blood on The Tracks) which I can't seem to find a quiet copy of (even sealed ones).

24. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Also, I take it from this thread that people think the 1C/1C matrixes are the ones to have?

25. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Rickchick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.