Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece - what a great album!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tangledupinblue, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

not for the house i dont think, but for an apartment within the house? if i'm reading that correctly...

2. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Yes, you are correct. The house (formerly Sutton House Hotel) was converted into luxury apartments about a decade ago. It was previously the home of the Jameson Whiskey family.

Interesting fact: Bono had his wedding reception in the hotel back in '82 and was a regular in the bar during the 1980's before he moved across to the other side of Dublin Bay. Van stayed there during the summer of '73 (or was it '74) when the cover shot was taken.

3. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

This one came out on an olive label??? I have only seen the palm trees...

Rickchick likes this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I think Randy misspoke :shh:

5. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

You are correct. My bad, palm tree labels only for this one.

dee and ellingtonic like this.
  6. I'm no longer searching for the Veedon Fleece!

Always loved Veedon Fleece from first hearing back when originally released on Warner UK. No longer have the vinyl but this thread inspired me to get hold of a copy on CD.

I've heard samples from the dreadful sounding remastered CD, and wondered why they found the need to rehash the original master.

I couldn't find the original Warner CD but was fortunate enough to track down a mint copy of the original UK Polydor (839 164-2) and it sounds absolutely wonderful, just as I remember the original Warner vinyl.

Deep joy!

7. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I just found one of these 80s Veedon Fleece LPs with the barcode. Haven't heard it yet but looks spotless. I think it will be interesting to see how it compares with my oiginal 1C (which looks cleans but plays with noise - as doo all of the originals I've ever found).

8. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Some recent observations re Veedon Fleece vinyl:

(1) the barcode version I picked up does play very quietly, but it doesn't sound as warm or present as the 1C/1C Palm Tree. However, to my ears, it DOES NOT sound digitally sourced. However, I could be wrong.

(2) Clean playing, very quiet Palm Tree copies of Veedon Fleece do exist - I recently picked up a 1C/1A version that is the quietest I have ever found, and a 1C/1C promo that is almost as quiet, but plays with some of that subterranean homesick surface noise.

(3) I prefer the US Palm Tree to the UK A1/B1 (which I can only describe as harsher and slightly brighter).

(4) I have not heard the Japanese version. Does anyone out there prefer that one? I imagine that would be as quiet as you could get, but don't know if it's worth the prices I'm seeing around.

(5) I have yet to find a Hard Nose To The Highway palm tree that plays quietly. EVERY single copy I've found has some persistent background noise. Has anyone out ther found a quiet US 1B/1B Hard Nose?

That's it for now. Good night.

Cassius likes this.
  9. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

The Japanese version i have is as you expect. Very quiet, but not as warm as the US first pressings. I watched and waited and got a Japanese NM pressing on EBay for a reasonable price. And your comparison of the UK pressing to the US pressing is consistent with mine.

10. CoachMarsh

CoachMarsh Forum Resident

I have not heard this one, I will have to find it and listen, off to Spotify to check.

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

You won't find it. Much of VM's best stuff is missing in action in the MOG/Spotify/iTunes/Amazon MP3 sphere.

12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

This is interesting. Astral Weeks is an album that changed my life, though I've to listen to this album. I saw a used copy at my local record shop. Maybe I should pick it up...

13. b-lilja

b-lilja Forum Resident

I just returned from Glasgow where I picked up a UK pressing, I can't tell from the deadwax what pressing it is. What do I look for? Some surface noise, not awful, and nice high end.

Also, is the general consensus that US or UK pressings for Van are better? Also, my German Hard Nose sounds great, and quiet.

14. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

If you like Astral Weeks, Veedon Fleece is worth picking up. It's not 'the same' (nothing will ever be) but it's cut from a similar cloth.

15. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

Very well put. You'll love VF. I envy you for just experiencing it for the first time.

Rickchick and mikeyt like this.
  16. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I am in the midst of processing my 3 extra, and extremely clean copies of this LP for sale, and thought yall would appreciate a little deadwax info, since I have it in word.

-First I should say that my Promo copy and the others really play quieter than I remember, just a hair of a bit more noise than any standard WB lp of the era.
    Solid to strong to VG++

-All US Copies, are in a textured jacket.

-There was no WLP. There are Promo specific full color labels

-All originals issued with the tan scene of Burbank on Saturday 9/23/1917 Burbank and the Loss Leaders ad sleeve.

All hand etched deadwax

Side I: 1c hand etched e7 Terre haute
    Side II: 1C a3 Substamper

Copy #2:

1c A11
    1c A5

Copy# 3

I: 1c A5 sub
    II: 1b etch a1 stamper

My promo
    1: 1c a5
    II: 1a e3

dee likes this.
  17. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Funny, I have a dead quiet 1c/1c.

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I saw your listing for the $11 copy and passed on it initially, when I went back for it a little later it was taken. Regrets!

19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Finally found and picked up a copy (1c / 1c, to boot) this weekend, listening to it now. Really diggin' this album! The record could be a bit flatter, but the music here is just phenomenal.

20. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

A bit late on this thread, but my goodness, what great music-Love what he does with his voice, the way the instruments weave in and out, and the sincerity of the performance-have always loved AW, also fond of Moondance, to a slightly lesser degree, and just scored a NM vinyl of ITLTSN. Saw him in Atlanta in the 80's, got lucky in that it was a performance in which he really warmed up to the audience-couples dancing in the aisles and such.

I got the initial pressing of the CD on VF and have only listened to it on a fairly decent system but am pleased with the recording quality. In a rational and just word, this album would be much more widely lauded and appreciated for what it is.cwd

steelinYaThighs and Rickchick like this.
  21. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Yep, one of my favorite albums of all time. I love lots of the early Van Morrison albums, but this one is my favorite, probably listened to it 400 times.

22. serge

serge Forum Resident

why is this out of print???

I think its my favorite Van album

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Pulled this out and played it based on this thread. I guess this is one I just don't get.

24. serge

serge Forum Resident

I think it really rewards a few repeat listens at the beginning...

25. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Pulled this out and played it based on this thread. I guess this is one I just don't get.

If you got the lp, wanna get rid of it?

Love this album...I would like to make a compilation of the best (or my favorites) of AW, Moondance, and VF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.