Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece - what a great album!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tangledupinblue, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Sorry to interject a Beatles reference, but to me they’re Rubber Soul and Revolver. 1-A and 1-B or the like.

2. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Brilliant album, most Van fans who know it love it, but agree its not as renowned overall as it should be. I feel the same way about Saint Dominic's Preview and Into The Music. All fantastic albums.

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It is always top 5, IMHO.

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah I don't think van plays many songs from it either...then or now. van experts might know exactly. van was interviewed one time and the reporter asked about the cover and van got mad that people asked him about the dogs like they were his dogs.....how are we supposed to know van? you pose with two dogs in front of an old house....but no, its a hotel and some ladies wolfhounds

[​IMG]

5. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Love this one.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I like it, but don’t adore it. Every album before it is better, to me, at least.

7. woodface

woodface Forum Resident

This is probably my favourite of his. I have the Polydor CD, the Exile reissue CD and got the original Warner vinyl (after some searching).

I think it only received middling reviews on release, and no hit singles, so perhaps why it was only recognised in later years as a "lost classic", and isn't more celebrated like the lauded Moondance etc.

I like the pastoral, reflective tone of the album, which followed some turbulence in his life.

Also check out Twilight Zone (an out-take featured from the reissue CD).

8. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

It rocks, softly and slowly, but it still rocks!

Brother Maynard and woodface like this.
  9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Love this one, really wish there were some live or radio sessions with this instrumentaion and material.
    Some of my favorite lyrics too. A while back, I made a booklet of all the lyrics neatly typed.

Same with Astral Weeks. So unique.

10. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

It's always been my favorite. I bought it when it was new and then saw him in Chicago within days of it's release.
    I already had all of the earlier ones at the time and had become a big fan.

11. woodface

woodface Forum Resident

The Van Morrison Live at Montreux DVD has a performance from 1974 which features Bulbs and Twilight Zone.

Rickchick, Crispy Rob and asdf35 like this.
  12. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

Veedon Fleece is often considered his "forgotten masterpiece" and is highly praised by hardcore Van fans. It didn't sell well initially and the style is a bit too freeform for some people which is probably why it isn't as well known. The same could go for Astral Weeks but I think Astral Weeks has slightly more of a charming and brilliant quality to it. Both excellent records

13. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

The biggest reason is that Van’s catalog is an embarrassment of riches. How does one rank transcendent masterpieces? Veedon Fleece is a quiet record without any ‘hits’ and I think that’s probably why it gets overlooked. But it’s in my top 5 Van albums, easily.

14. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Beautiful album and it lands right outside my top 5, in my top 5 if not including live albums.

1. Astral Weeks
    2. Tupelo Honey
    3. It's Too Late to Stop Now
    4. Moondance
    5. Into the Music
    6. Veedon Fleece

Desolation Row likes this.
  15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Sadly censored...:p

No, it's a magnificent album. Was it his first true flop of album after the classic run?

16. My favorite of his, a brilliant album. I was lucky to be gifted a copy on cd when it was still available, about 10 years ago.

Crispy Rob and Malina like this.
  17. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

I adore Veedon Fleece. It's an album that evokes wistful memories from a formative time in my life. And because of that I'm not always up for listening to it. But I love it. Who could argue with something so lovely as "Fair Play," or something so impassioned as "Come Here My Love," or something so anciently compelling as "Country Fair"? It's soul music.

18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I love this record so much. Van is prolific and consistent on record. Veedon Fleece is one of his absolute best.

He finally got the Them material in a legal state, so, maybe this and the rest of his stuff is next. Seems to be a roll on this era of stuff being reissued. Veedon may be in the near future reissued...

19. Cushlamay

Cushlamay Forum Resident

Fair Play, Streets of Arklow and Pull no Punches... great songs . I prefer this album to Astral Weeks .
    Veedon Fleece, Into the Music and His band and the Street Choir are my 3 favourites

20. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

It’s my favourite VM album, along with Beautiful Vision and Enlightenment.

21. MonkeysCantSwing

MonkeysCantSwing Forum Resident

More love for Veedon Fleece comes here. One of his best for me.

steelinYaThighs and crozcat like this.
  22. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Veedon Fleece is, and has been for a long time, my favorite album by any artist. It is a work of total genius. My Van top five:

1: Veedon Fleece
    2: Into The Music
    3: Common One
    4: Astral Weeks
    5: Inarticulate Speech (Not necessarily one of his best but it soundtracked a particularly fine romantic time in my life)

steelinYaThighs and Rickchick like this.
  23. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Top three with Astral Weeks and Saint Dominic's Preview for me. No hit singles, a very esoteric album, indifferent critics. Morrison's three year break. Don't know the reason why it's underappreciated. Criminal that it's out of print.

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  24. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yep, I've always found VF to be great...uhh...late-night listening. :tiphat:

Wild Frank likes this.
  25. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

Great album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.