Vandersteen 2wq versus Sub 3 subwoofers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Farajido, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Farajido

Farajido Active Member Thread Starter

I have owned a Vandersteen 2w subwoofer for over 25 years. I recently upgraded my power amp from a NAD 7600 to a Nakamichi PA 7aII Stasis and a NAD C165BEE pre-amp. I loved the 7600 but it died (getting refurbished... I hope). The Stasis actually improved the Acoustat 1+1 speakers I have (3rd owner and in great shape) owned for also over 25 years. The 2W paired with the Acoustats were an amazing set. Unfortunately the capacitance of the Stasis is much higher than the 7600 so I am trying to find the correct WX2 crossovers for the sub. I have a WX2 arriving soon to help. In the process I have been researching other subs.

Next week I will be doing an A/B test with my W2 (with correct WX2 crossover) and a Sub 3 at my local dealer (over an hour away).

My room size is 16'x24' with the Acoustats 9' apart alond the 16' side and the W2 just inside the right channel. The sub is near the corner, but just 2' away. It sounded better there rather than in the hard corner. I have a 9' pool table as the only large furniture item in the room. The "room" is very open with a 2nd story vault, open stairway and open pass-through areas front and back. I also recently upgraded the turntable to a Technics 1500C with a VM540ML cartridge.

There is no theatre with this set up. That is in the family and I have a robust Axiom subwoofer with 5 B&W speakers (center, surround, and rear) and 3D Acoustic satellites.

The focus for the sub is purely musical. Due to the set up of the room adding a 2nd subwoofer is not practical. I am pondering staying with the 2W (with corrected crossovers supporting the Stasis amp), upgrading to the 2wq (older tech, but an upgrade), or plunging in with the Sub 3. I like the idea of adjustable Q plus the built in 11 band EQ.

Looking for comments from others with Vandersteen subs. I play a wide variety of music from Classical to Country, Jazz to modern Latin, but the vast majority is 70's and 80's Rock.

Thanks