Velodyne Digital Drive Series - A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WildPhydeaux, Mar 30, 2023.

1. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ll start off by saying this is not a rant against a Velodyne product or whining about an old, failed component. Quite the opposite – I love my Velodyne DD-12 subwoofers circa 2002/5 and they have been performing perfectly (knock on wood) right up until “the incident”.

I have two DD-12 subwoofers, one made in 2003 and the other in 2005. For those who don’t know, these servo-based subs have an user accessible PEQ and come with a calibrated mic which allows you tailor the subs output to your room to a degree. To say they work very well is an understatement.

I noted at one point that the firmware version was different between the two subs I have. Naturally, for me, I wondered if there was a newer one and if it was something an user can update. So I contacted Velodyne service in Germany (the US company of the same name is no longer involved with audio) and was told, sure, easy-peasy, and sent the latest firmware, which was two versions newer than one sub and one version newer than the other. Note that in my email I stated the versions I have and the manufacture dates of my subs – actually I sent pictures of both tags from the backs of the subs.

The firmware requires a Windows PC that has a serial port, but a SUB->DB9 cable does the trick since serial ports are old news. Instructions couldn’t be simpler: With sub off, hold down both the volume up and down buttons and power it up, which puts it into a service mode. Connect the cable, double-click the firmware executable and select the com port you’re connected to, then click start. After 30 seconds of watching an increment bar, a “success” message pops up and Robert’s your dad’s brother.

Nope, no workie. I mean, the firmware version is now the latest and the sub makes sound when you feed it a signal, but PEQ no longer works, nor do any of the settings other than volume. I won’t go into all the testing I did to verify all functions, but end of the day the subs are now just big dumb amplified drivers.

So I contacted Velodyne again and started correspondence with the same support guy. I’ll spare you the back and forth, but in the end he said not all Digital Drive subs can accept that firmware. Further, the subs can be put right, but only if they are sent to them in Germany. You apparently cannot simply install an older version of the firmware on top of a newer one, and no one outside of the German support is able to do the software restore work. On the bright side, there will be no charge and no need to send the subwoofer – just the plate amp. I have exhausted all the contacts I have and can find in the US/Canada and none could offer assistance on this continent.

DON’T FIX WHAT AIN’T BROKE

Cheers,
    Robert

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Thanks for the PSA.