Velvet Pad or Carbon Fibre Brush?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by goodiesguy, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me Thread Starter

What should I get? a velvet pad record cleaning brush or a Carbon Fibre one? I'm also gonna get a stylus cleaner brush. I'm guessing the carbon fibre would be better? As wouldn't that get right into the grooves? I Only currently use an anti static cloth to clean my vinyl.

2. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

I favour the carbon fibre brushes. The velvet ones seem to me to be too liable to scuff the record's surface...

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

4. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

CF Brush for dry dusting. All of my LPs get cleaned with my Nitty Gritty first, and stored in new sleeves, so there isn't much left for the CF Brush.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I prefer the Hunt EDA brush which has both. The carbon fibers is helpful for controlling static. The velcro pad picks up a lot of dirt in my experience.

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

8. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

My #1 choice for cleaning dust and stuff off used Lps i buy is a standard Vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment.
    I vac off the Lps. then a carbon fiber brush.

For used Lps which have fine dust, just a rinse under the tape, then blot dry with VIVA paper towels, then a quick vacuuming does the job.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can clean dozens (hundreds?) of LPs without having to clean it off. When you get too much crud, just rinse it off with water.

I only use this for "touch up" cleaning on new LPs or after an LP has already been wet-vacuumed. In other words, I don't use it as my sole cleaning method for old/dirty records.

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I am a pretty light LP listener (more of a CD guy) but I listen to a couple of LPs a week and I haven't had to clean it in 6 months.

11. goodiesguy

Theese are the 2.

The first one is a velvet brush, and comes with a stylus brush: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=472962458

The second is a carbon fibre brush on it's own: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=472962408

I really like the idea of the carbon fibre brush getting into the grooves and cleaning it, whereas i feel that a velvet pad will just go over the top of it and try to pick up stuff (all my lp's will be cleaned before hand).

I want to make up my mind within an hour or so. I know the velvet one has the advantage that it comes with a stylus brush, but i want to get what's best to keep my vinyl clean.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

13. goodiesguy

So what is best. Carbon Fibre or Velvet pad?

14. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

+1

15. goodiesguy

So, I'm guessing i should get the carbon fibre one?

16. Paranoid_Android

Paranoid_Android Forum Resident

I second the Hunt EDA Brush it works great

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

18. goodiesguy

These are my 2 options, and I wish to know which one.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Both which you get on the Hunt EDA. :cheers:

20. goodiesguy

21. goodiesguy

Well i settled for both. It's one with both the carbon fibres and the velvet. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

I like that it's Anti-static, as i've got a few LP's which are in need to being Anti-staticed.

22. ElizabethH

Plenty of folks like to use a carbon fiber brush. With no complaints.
    I am one. It may be true a carbon fiber brush leaves microscratches.. but that they do not affect play seems clear.

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The scratches may not be audible, but it seems a shame to mar up perfectly good vinyl. Not to mention any knock it does to the resale value.

Heckto35 likes this.
  24. ElizabethH

I am totally nearsighted. So much so i can look at stuff one inch away from my eye like a microscope.
    I have NEVER seen a single instance of any marking of vinyl from a carbon fiber brush with my naked eye.
    Now maybe some folks do have better close up vision, or like to look at thier Lps through microscopes? But i am NOT worried about it.
    Creating a problem where none existed is a bit much?
    Though if you do see the markings, then good for you, and feel glad you can save your vinyl from this scourge.
    For me, I use a carbon fiber brush with no worries about 'resale value falling due to microabrasions.' :cool:
    I am way more concerned about giant gouges... :sigh:

Heckto35 likes this.
  25. goodiesguy

Looks like this
    [​IMG]

So, i just want to know. How do i clean it? I know i don't need to at the moment, but what about later on.

I've just used it on my B-52's Cosmic Thing LP, and am playing it now, and it sounds good, It left no static on the lp, and it's playing better. Before this lp was a magnet for dust and the like, but it actually looked clean before i put the tone arm down.

It's also better than I thought. I thought it would be a cheap plastic thing, but no, it seems to be made of metal, or alluminum or whatever. It's really cool. All my lp's will now get this before they get played, as they need this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.