Venues You've seen the most concerts in

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Experiencereunited, Jan 20, 2020.

1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Oh yeah - I forgot about the Bottom Line - saw a lot of shows there, especially when I was attending NYU - so easy to get tickets since it was right there on "campus" - if you want to call Washington Square Park campus.

fenderesq likes this.
  2. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident Thread Starter

I find the band of interest dictates the venues rather than the other way around so probably not as much interesting for you at MSG. Venues that consistently book bands I like consistently end up becoming my "home" venues for better or worse. Over time tastes may change somewhat too altering where you end up seeing concerts. I also moved around a lot and traveled for concerts too so my most attended venues are not all in the same area.

3. drift

drift Forum Resident

There's a comedy club in Peoria I've seen over a thousand shows at, but most of them weren't musical. As far as music, probably a DIY basement venue that used to be here called The Meeting House.

4. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Metropolitan Opera House, New York City great acoustics but virtually no leg room. Only rock act was Pete Townshend and guests for “Quadrophenia”

Jones Beach Amphitheater, Wantagh NY really increased the capacity over 35 years so some seats are way high Outdoors. Being in the ocean (Great South Bay) it can be surprisingly chilly at night in the summer

Brendan Byrne (Izod) Arena, East Rutherford NJ. Pretty much in mothballs. Competed with Madison Square Garden for bad acoustics . In its heyday in the 1980s it got a lot of rock concerts

5. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw some great shows here in the 1980's, but the place was a dump. Nicknamed "The Barn". The restroom was a grated floor where you actually peed through the grates. There was also a cow trough you could pee in. The place smelled horrific, worse than a barnyard full of cattle with diarrhea. :hurlleft:

Svetonio likes this.
  6. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

Me too, mainly in the late 80’s/early 90’s. The Empty Bottle is right up there too

kouzie likes this.
  7. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I’d never been but the Grande Ballroom Detroit features in a noticeably high number of pictures in the Interesting Photos from Rock History thread over in the Off Topic Forum (hint- become a bit of a backwater thread but worth a visit)

8. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

For me, it's the Long Center for the Performing Arts here in Austin. I've seen well over 200 live performances there...

(...because I work there in live music!)

[​IMG]

9. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Tie between Bogart's in Cincy, Louisville Gardens and Riverbend Cincinnati.

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Great Woods in Mansfield Mass.Tailgating in the parking lot scores of people have to take a leak in the Great Woods beside the parking lot.You could hop the fence to gain admission to the lawn area.Of course it was worth it to get a good seat close up to see one of your favorites.

ARK likes this.
  11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Totally. Had tix to see Brendan Benson at Empty Bottle, which was postponed due to covid. But he's starting to reschedule and existing tickets are still valid.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

70s-80s:
    Manchester Free Trade Hall
    The Electric Circus, Manchester
    Manchester Polytechnic Union
    Rafters, Manchester
    The Russell Club/The Factory, Manchester
    The Venue, London

PJayBe likes this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The Civic Arena is the one I've seen the most concerts at. It was demolished over 10 years ago. The new Consol Energy Center is now named PPG Paints Arena. I've seen a few concerts there, including the very first event there with Paul McCartney.

Star Lake Ampitheater is now called that again. No one has naming rights to it currently, so it went back to its original name.

14. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro, NC (it's next to Chapel Hill), with a close runner-up being the old 930 Club in Washington, DC (when it was on F street).

I've had the privilege of seeing many great shows at both of these venues. Both have their charms.

15. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Probably Paradiso Amsterdam. A lovely venue.

The Fall
    Ryan Adams
    Velvet Underground
    Lambchop
    Badly Drawn Boy

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Saw same, August 18th, 2010. Hard to believe it's been open for coming up on 11 years.

mmars982 likes this.
  17. frcnorth

frcnorth Forum Resident

18. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Beacon Theater in NYC. A great venue especially for what was the annual March run of the ABB.

The Cat 3 and Daryl M like this.
  19. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

The Burro Room - Chico, CA
    Kennel Club - SF
    Bottom of the Hill - SF
    The Warfield Theater - SF
    Bowery Ballroom - NYC
    Music Hall of Williamsburg - NYC
    Warsaw - NYC

20. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

The legendary Glasgow Apollo even though it closed in 1982, late teens/early 20s, visited it regularly. Been to to a lot of gigs since then but at many different venues

21. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Seattle Center Coliseum

22. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

The Coach House--San Juan Capistrano. It's a dive, but it's my dive.
    Galaxy Theater--Santa Ana.

23. Michael S

Michael S Forum Resident

Just gonna say I think the worst thing that ever happened to live music in America was the development of the "amphitheater" as the primary venue for large shows. When I was young and a band that could sell 15K tickets or more to a concert that concert was almost always in an arena.

You know, indoors, temperature controlled, protected from the elements, nice acoustics.

Now, those same bands play "amphitheaters" where:

If you don't get a seat you get to sit on the "grass" which is usually ant-infested dirt.
    If it's hot or cold, too bad.
    If there's a massive storm with gale-force winds and golfball-sized hail? Also too bad.
    Acoustics? Ha!
    Sightlines? Often a total joke.

I truly hate these outdoor shows and the fact the industry moved to these when better venues already existed makes no sense to me.

24. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

If not mentioned......the old RITZ-UNION SQUARE N.Y.C.......or the original "MY FATHER'S PLACE".....ROSLYN VILLAGE Long island new york.....my home town.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Tilson Music Hall, on the ISU campus, Terre Haute IN.

Because, as a Music major for the two years I was there, I was required to attend a recital about once every week.

(I just love it when rock-type people have topics like this, where they just assume everybody is going to respond with rock-type answers. :p )