Vertigo Blu-Ray - Did they fix the stereo audio problems?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevinsinnott, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist Thread Starter

I found a thread discussing the audio remix and the producers' failure to find and completely restore the original sounds in order to present the score (or as much as we recorded) in stereo. I got the Blu-Ray today after I noticed it claimed to include the original mono mix. First question: Are we sure this is the original mono mix? It sounds very good to me. I chose the mono to view the entire film tonight.

Second, did they restore the original sounds in the stereo re-mix? I know they re-mixed it. I'm not sure I even want it in any event, assuming the mono is good. But I have to admit, Herrmann's score sounds good in stereo. I realize the musicians strike prevented the entire score from being recorded in stereo. And, of course I realize Alfred Hitchcock and Herrmann aren't around to re-mix it. But, I'm curious. Overall I have to say the film looked great to me. Am I the only one who finds Midge sexier than Kim Nowak? hahaha I think Midge was patterned after Blossom Dearie!

A favorite shot from Vertigo. [​IMG]

kronning, longdist01 and apesfan like this.
  2. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

No, you're not the only one... Love the 'cantilever bridge' scene.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  3. kevinsinnott

Hahaha. That's a great bit there. A sly reference to Howard Hughes "Jane Russell project"!

Karnak likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Since the bluray release I've only watched it with the mono track. The stereo on the bluray is better than their first attempt at restoration but I still prefer the original mono.

kevinsinnott and Karnak like this.
  5. kevinsinnott

Thank you, The Zodiac. I recall reading comments about mismatches of the car motor on some new Foley elements. I did launch the stereo version after fully viewing the mono film, and didn't notice much wrong, so it seems like some of the offending sound effects may have been redone. Or not. My single gripe with remixes is when they replace instead of supplement the original.

Karnak likes this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

My understanding is the old Foley work was able to be incorporated into the surround mix on the BluRay.

kevinsinnott and longdist01 like this.
  7. kevinsinnott

Thank you, mben989! I admit a guilty pleasure in having the choice of playing it in stereo! As long as I have the original mono!

mBen989 likes this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Barbara Bel Geddes over Kim Novak? That's a club with very few members...

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. kevinsinnott

Hahaha. Good one! No doubt you're right. Still, it's my taste.

Not to slight Ms Novak. She's stunning. I just like the quirky personality of Ms Geddes.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought the 1980s stereo remix was terrible, because the newly-added sound effects were unbalanced and distracting (strictly my opinion). Nowadays, digital extraction techniques exist that would allow using the original SFX and not new ones that stick out as being "inauthentic." Whether they've done that or not with the current Blu-ray is a good question.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

:agree: Clever very bright, momsie. Never found Kim Novak attractive. She was aghast at The Artist using the Herrmann score.

Karnak likes this.
  12. alexpop

Nothing wrong with Mrs Murphy. :)

13. alexpop

What about Rear Window how's that for sonics ?

14. kevinsinnott

I haven't analyzed the blu-ray reissue, but I am a big fan of Rear Window's sonics in general. Rear Window is almost 100% soundstage-shot. That means its acoustics are stellar. The early-mid 50s were a good time for sound. Sound recordists were influenced by radio's preeminence in our culture. Actors spoke better. I really admire the mono soundscape of the courtyard scenes as heard from James Stewart's window. Ross Bagdasarian Sr.'s scenes of the moody, struggling songwriter are especially gripping for me, aurally as much as visually.

Makes me want to watch it again soon!

longdist01 and alexpop like this.
  15. alexpop

Makes me?
    Grace Kelly is easy on the eye as well.

longdist01, G E and kevinsinnott like this.
  16. G E

G E Senior Member

BBG is in Panic in the Streets as Richard Widmark ‘s wife.

Great film if you have never seen it. Usually pegged as a Noir, it’s a superb biological terror story.

No more said

Watch it. Turn off your cell and pee the dog before you roll film.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  17. G E

G E Senior Member

Her tight close up after smooching Jimmie is the shot of the century!

Lucky, lucky man.

Karnak likes this.
  18. alexpop

Alfred Hitchcock was infatuated with her.

19. alexpop

Kim Novak said she felt raped watching the scene in The Artist. Jean Dujardin got a Oscar for his performance, no doubt helped by the use of the Herrmann score.Very effective it was.

20. kevinsinnott

Marc, is the digital extraction technique you speak of really that effective? That's really cool!

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, they can do miracles with extractions using iZotope RX 7 Advanced and stuff like that. Chris Kissel keeps up on this stuff very well:

https://www.monotostereo.info/

kevinsinnott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.