Verve Label Group/UMe Announces Chad Kassem-Supervised All-Analog Classic Jazz Reissue Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marko K, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Still £39.99 here in the UK which is $55 ....

i have it on pre order at £36.17 or $49.82 ... need i say more about how lucky you folks are

Barney_Tabasco and Moray like this.
  2. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Listening to Archie Shepp; Four For Trane for the first time via Tidal on account it was mentioned in Kahn’s ALS book.
    Try these:
    https://www.amazon.fr/s?
    k=bill+evans+trio+65&sprefix=bill+evans+&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_11

I cancelled my U.K. order, pre-ordered both + the Rollins, €5 combined shipping even for 2 drops. Received the Rollins last week and just waiting for September for the 2 Evans.

Edit: includes vat too!

Swann36 likes this.
  3. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco Forum Resident

I heard there were custom issues from France to uk?

4. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

My Rollins On Impulse arrived with no issue from that order. Amazon.fr are collecting the vat at source as it says at the bottom on the listing; use a translator to see if you don’t read their lingo.

Barney_Tabasco likes this.
  5. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Buying directly from Amazon should be fine, I've done it 3 times with no issues myself. There seems to have been some issues with third party sellers, which seems to be a bit of a grey area customs-wise, so best to avoid those. Obviously other platforms will have their own rules, so one has to check the terms in each case (most don't commit to covering customs charges, in my experience)

Barney_Tabasco likes this.
  6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I think the Deluxe Gimme Fiction can still be found but I'm sure it will dry up eventually if not soon. I have the original (Golden), The Deluxe (Rowatti) and the split vinyl, which I thought was the same plates as the Deluxe. At least that is what Britt Daniel confirmed to me on IG. I'm not sure I even verified the deadwax. LOL. Now I need to because discogs shows it's a different cut. This will be interesting comparison even though that's not my thing.

Oddly enough, a friend and I were comparing the remaster of Girls Can Tell to the original (Golden) and although both sounded good, the remaster seems to have a bit more detail like maybe it was cut from a higher definition master?

I know the new ones were all cut from the original masters (digital and/or analog) and it seems Dave Cooley's place may be set up to cut AAA now if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry to derail this thread, almost thought I was in a Spoon thread.

puelche and Gabe Walters like this.
  7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Got my Out of the Cool on Saturday, from a private seller on Discogs (so can't return it).

Side 1 was full of micro-abrasions, though the disc played mostly quiet. Side 2 had many less abrasions, but something that caused a couple of dozen revolutions of light pops at the end of side 2. Will have to clean it, I guess, and see what happens.

Anyway, very happy to now have this album on vinyl. I have most of the titles in the Verve series + the Tone Poets/BNCs on CDs, and have been doing shoot-outs. I knew I needed to upgrade from the Out of the Cool CD, as that whole first track has lots of delicate cymbal-work, especially in the beginning, and on the CD it just sounds like air being let out of a tire, and none of the enveloping atmosphere that I could tell was supposed to be there. Thankfully, the LP sounds just like I imagined . The cymbals sound like cymbals, and the whole thing comes alive. I'm not getting these reissues where I'm happy with the CD I have - I can't buy all of them - but this one is a no-brainer upgrade (from the 1996 CD reissue) IMO.

AnalogJ, Swann36 and Dai like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

But thanks for taking one for the team.

Petter Premberg likes this.
  9. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Any chance that So near So far by Joe Henderson will be released in the acoustic sounds series? Its a verve release I think.

Ken.e. likes this.
  10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Well, it's a digital recording, not sure if that disqualifies it.

Fine album though.

Ken.e. likes this.
  11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

not to put too fine a point on it but I’ve been logging all the new vinyl I’ve purchased over the past several months and I wanted to share what I’ve noticed.

(1) approximately 95% of all the new vinyl I’ve purchased has been warped to some degree. This is irrespective of the retailer but to be fair, I’ve been buying more from Amazon than any other retailer over the last year.

(2) approximately 75% of the warped vinyl has been edge-warped.

(3) approximately 70% of the edge-warped vinyl is edge-warped on only one side.

So this last part is what’s interested me most and here’s why: is it possible for vinyl to deform only on one side after the record has been assembled and shipped? It would seem to me that anything that’s deforming the record at that point would have to deform both sides, so unless I’m woefully inaccurate here, doesn’t it seem most likely that the deformation is occurring prior to the record leaving the plant?

slimjw and uzn007 like this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Take one of your jackets and squeeze it open a little and pull the record out. Then put the record back in. You'll notice that the pressure the jacket puts on the record is not uniform. Now imagine the record was still a little warm and not fully cooled off the press. What do you think will happen?

uzn007 likes this.
  13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Fair. And that would still put the origin of the issue at the manufacturing plant and not the retailer, or the mailman or whomever else.

uzn007 likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep, and it's a very common issue as well. One of the largest independent labels in the U.S. first mentioned this to me a few years ago. One of the plants they were using had a very high rate of defects related to this, as well as other issues.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Are these albums going to drop at all in price after they are released and we'll save some money? It happened a couple of time to me but now the prices are just going up to the point that my local store is a good or better price wise.

16. brimuchmuze

Mostly, on amazon.ca, they go up rather than down. Still there have been exceptions, so nothing is guaranteed.

I'd preorder if you really want a title.

17. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Good advice .... here in the UK apart from a very few of the early BN Classics ..all the other "audiophile pressings" seem to go unavailable (read sold out) or up in price within a week or so of release even if they drop a bit the day after release (these are the sold by amazon not 3rd party sellers) but the day after price seems to be covered by the pre-order price gtee ... so i pre-order and feel i've done well by doing so... the 3rd party sellers that pop up after release are always more and sometimes much much more

18. Kumocat

Kumocat Jazz Cat

I always pre-order my AP and BN records through Amazon since they offers the most stable prices including shipping costs. Mostly the AP and the BN Classics are very pleasantly priced compared to the local shops that sell them here in the Netherlands.

chris8519 likes this.
  19. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

This is a great list - and I think very fair to everybody. They each have their shining moments.

I like RKS, KG, and BG in equal measure these days, but also think they excel in different ways. Below are my meandering abstract thoughts, limited to my own experiences:

Kevin most consistently gives the best "feel" - ie. a lot of his work gives me the same goosebumps as the very best original pressings, while opening up the dynamics beyond what was ever possible back in the day. His rock work is beautiful. His jazz resume is also second to none at this point; I think the recent Tone Poet/Blue Note/Craft stuff highlights his intent to mine the treble for a clarity that vinyl's never been known for while still keeping things balanced in the midrange. I should add, though, I generally am not a fan of the sound (though a huge fan of the price) of the BN80/BN Classics reissues - Kevin has said he doesn't love what the European pressings do to his mastering, but whatever it is, I find them a bit flat and uninvolving relative to Music Matters versions where they exist. I really wish I didn't.

RKS does damn clean work. Very dependable, his sound feels like a transparent view into the recording studio. I truly enjoy his recent jazz masterings, especially when he's given access to excellent recordings that weren't properly served in their original form, or with subsequent reissues...for example, some of this Riverside work for VMP ("The Hawk Flies High," for example) is stunning. His new Acoustic Sounds version of "Out of the Cool" is kind of mind-blowing...a totally different level of in-the-room than I've ever heard with what I already thought was an excellent recording based on older work by BG and KG.

Bernie is clearly a team player and not averse to giving the producer what they want (it's often not what we on this forum might want); sometimes that means a specific EQ tilt, a bit of compression, etc. But when he's given the room to himself, I think he creates a truly definitive sound - by definitive I don't mean it's the unbeatably best reissue of that album ever for all time, but rather that, while listening to it, you can't even fathom wanting to hear another version of it. I think this is what makes him a legendary name among artists and listeners alike. His Classic/AP Kind of Blue, or his ORG 45 of Grace, or Classic 45 of Come Away with Me, the original Aja, the new Craft Small Batch stuff, and a special shout out to the Classic Records' reissue of One Foot in the Gutter.... I think the peaks of his work are also the peaks of my collection. He gives me a special musical balance that transcends the audiophile need to chase down every possible version of something.

Really enjoy this video of Bernie from the beginning of his Classic Records days, around the time he approached the three-track of Kind of Blue:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  20. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

In case anyone noticed, Trio 64 dropped down to the more palatable $26.99 on Amazon US. Now let's hope Trio 65 follows

GentleSenator and this_machine like this.
  21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I've noticed 100% of dish warps are "side 1" up, (top stamper is side one)
    What's happening appears to be a couple of things in pressing:
    1) The uneven and insufficient cooling time causes the "cupping" as the top of the record is cooled faster than the bottom,
    as the cold water from the press is on the "top side", and the cool side contracts faster, pulling the shape into a dish.
    2) the vinyl is coming out of the press while it's still too warm and mechanically sagging, or warping as it's moved out of the press.

I'm mostly convinced the plants are pushing a faster cycle of pressing to increase the volume in the current backlog.
    Dishing and edge warps are the common result of not enough time in the press. Vinyl will move around a lot as
    it cools, any differential temperature across the surface of the vinyl will expand and contract unevenly causing
    the record to not be flat.

Once the vinyl reaches room temperature, it's very stable. The fears that records are getting warped in shipping
    is highly overblown. As more evidence, aside from the physics of temperature expansion and contraction,
    I just got another 4 disc set and 2 were flat, 1 dished, 1 edge warped.
    Most problems are not from storage or transit, but from pressing.

22. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I don't know what the heck is going on a Amazon.ca
    Trio '64 and '65 are both now $44.80

I pre-ordered both, '64 dropped to $32.41 briefly (locked in pre-order) but '65 never went below $39.38
    Hopefully they both go back to the usual pre-order price, but i doubt it. The Classic Series Dex GO never dropped,
    and it's $44 ! now.

Lobster Graham Funk likes this.
  23. brimuchmuze

No point trying to understand the Amazon algorithms. Just be fine that you are helping to fund space tourism for the ultra-rich.

Geee!, Queezma, this_machine and 3 others like this.
  24. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Yeah, it's getting ridiculous now on Amazon.ca, with things not working the way they used to at all. Before the price was steady and at it's lowest until the album was released, and then it went up. Now, it looks like if you don't jump on it the minute it gets released for pre order it jumps up in price often well past what brick and mortar stores are asking. I wouldn't mind if the price dropped eventually and I was charged less but where's the guarantee that will happen? At this point Amazon is losing it's advantage. I'm going to see what happens with the Bill Evans releases and the next two Tone Poets/BN Classics, all of which are priced higher than normal except the Trio 64, but if I am charged the prices listed on my pre orders I may go back to the drawing board. I've already passed on Go!

audiolab1 and DeRosa like this.
  25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I'm totally fine with launching Bezos into space, send him to Mars ! :)