Verve Label Group/UMe Announces Chad Kassem-Supervised All-Analog Classic Jazz Reissue Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marko K, Jun 11, 2020.

1. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Feeding my own compulsory consumer tendencies (which I refuse to tone down or shop elsewhere due to the great prices) and funding the next generation of space exploration?

Sounds fair to me!
    Just keep them deals coming and I’ll keep buying the rocket fuel. :biglaugh:

bruinuclafan likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Its not always side 1 for me.

3. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Of course it's not always Side 1. I've even seen different copies of the same pressing run dished on different sides.

DeRosa likes this.
  4. SteakandBlackOnions

SteakandBlackOnions Forum Resident

5. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

That's one huge delay... :( Acoustic Sounds says the same. The European Amazon sites still have release date August 27 , but I expect them to get updated soon. Oh well, plenty of jazz reissues to enjoy in the meantime..

Swann36 likes this.
  6. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

This supposed delay in the Bill Evans titles is ridiculous. We know they were cut, because there was a video with Ryan Smith where you could see the original LP and tape boxes. They have to have been plated. You can't leave a lacquer sitting around for over a year.

What is the real problem? Blame the pandemic again? Really? Chad owns the pressing plant. He probably only has to step out of his office and walk a few feet to get to it. I understand they have contracts with labels to press titles. But, I can't imagine something that he is curating has to wait in line for over a year at his own plant.

I mean.. stop pressing every ridiculous title on vinyl that will never sell. Have any of you looked at the pre-orders for vinyl on Amazon? Go deep into it it. Like, 40 pages deep. I'll bet you won't recognize most, if not all, of those artists by that point. But, they are still churning them out on vinyl.

7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

happy to be corrected, I only went by the 74 copies i have logged here in my collection, and all were side one "up" dished,
    didn't find a any that were dished the other way. but it's not that big a sample size.
    Not talking warps, just significant dishing.

I suppose it's possible that sometimes the stamper for side 2 is on the top of the press,
    my hypothesis for dishing is about the function of the process, for which there are variables.
    Since i don't have access to all the information, it's a deduction from the vinyl i have at hand.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's a conspiracy.

My actual guess is that because of the pressing delays and back logs, they're bumping Verve titles
    in order to do the Impulse titles first because they're supposed to be part of the 60th anniversary celebrations.

9. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

All hands on deck to get the Kind of Blue UHQR figured out.:laugh:

BornBeforeTheWind, Elofan, JP and 2 others like this.
  10. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

but then Chad will have to deal with delaying every thing else he is contracted to press!! How many people does it really take to operate ONE machine?

Seriously, though...

I am hoping for one of two scenarios:

The new date is a mistake and they will be coming out around the original release date.

Or.. they have NOT been pressed yet, because who knows what condition they will be in sitting around who knows what warehouse for over a year!!

I get they may want the Impulse stuff out first because of the anniversary. But some places charge you for the pre-orders. A year is a long time to make people wait and hold on to their money!

11. dman23

dman23 Well-Known Member

12. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

It's late and I should be in bed, but after having it waiting for me at home for almost 3 weeks, I couldn't resist but spinning the first track of BATAT... wow, this sounds amazing! Not that I expected otherwise, but man... RKS really is doing an amazing job on these. I'll leave the rest of the album for tomorrow when I have my amp back cause as much as I love my AKGs, it's not the same as listening on speakers.

Swann36, chris8519, Aegir and 3 others like this.
  13. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

This series has really increased my respect for RKS, from “yeah he’s pretty good” to “he is as good as KG but with a bit more sparkle and clarity at the cost of that analog warmth, but worth the trade off”.
    And for these impulse releases I think he is going to really shine. Personally I like the cooler, brighter tone he pulls for these albums.

miq2son, puelche, Elofan and 4 others like this.
  14. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

The Rollins one also sounds phenomenal. Reallly happy with it

Aegir and uzn007 like this.
  15. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I had the same feeling, you know? But it'll always be unfair to compare unless it's apples vs apples. Even though this is an RVG recording, we all know his recordings could sound better or worse from album to album.

But, yes, when BATAT first started playing, I really enjoyed the tonality when compared to KG's work. Or maybe just the fact that all I listen to lately is KG also made me feel this way.

chris8519 and Kimiimacman like this.
  16. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident

Anyone seen any glimpse of a pre order for the mingus records yet (other than acoustic sounds)?

astro70 likes this.
  17. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I don’t find any lack of analogue warmth with these at all but that may be in part to do with my system. The warmth is there with tones of presence unlike the BN80/Cs which sounds somewhat flat to me.
    For me some of the TPs are a tad overblown and lack leading edge articulation in the bass (except for the solos) on certain albums, The Phantom in particular. This has not been the case on this series, at least for me. Extremely happy thus far, no issues whatsoever.

YEX 750-1 and chris8519 like this.
  18. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Both pre-ordered on Amazon U.K. a month back

Swann36 likes this.
  19. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  20. JoFr

JoFr Fine fine music

Got my replacement of Sonny Rollins on Impulse and this one is good (without a scratch). This album was not on my top of the list of Rollins albums and a first listen did not impress me. But guys, listening a couple of times got me enjoying the music more and more. The way Rollins improvises makes the standards a very interesting listening. Highly recommended.

21. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Agreed with some of the TPs sounding a bit overblown- it’s like a touch too much of “warmth”.

Not at all complaining here either, to me it’s like the difference between a warm Hot Toddy or cool Gin and Tonic. Both very well done, both hit their goal accordingly.

maybe the difference is the pressing itself? RTI tends to sound “warmer” to me, rounder somehow- more “musically focused”- compared to any QRP pressing I have which feel more analytical- and more “audiophile focused”

Can this damn release series get on already, I’m losing my mind with these metaphors and minute comparisons I’m making haha

Kimiimacman likes this.
  22. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident

23. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I am almost always a “buy blind, wait for the surprise” guy. I bought the TP Scofield and it just didn’t jive with me (and probably should have streamed it first).
    This Sonny Rollins on Impulse is one I would recommend people stream first too. It’s definitely not a traditional jazz record.
    And I can hang with Dolphy and his ilk no problem!

JoFr likes this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Indeed.

JoFr likes this.
  25. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

He's said many times he's never bumping Beatles or Hendrix off the press. Not sure why you seem so upset... they're just records and they'll be released. Vinyl is hot and everything is backed up.

recstar24 and uzn007 like this.