Verve Label Group/UMe Announces Chad Kassem-Supervised All-Analog Classic Jazz Reissue Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marko K, Jun 11, 2020.

1. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I have been paying under $30 for Tone Poets. I just bought Lou Donaldson's Mr. Shing-A-Ling from my local record store yesterday for $27.

2. Yes exactly the same list price as Tone Poets but you can usually get TP's for under $30. in the states.

3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The real crazy part, is that Amazon Canada selling Tone Poets for just under $32 on pre-order is $23.50 in USD.
    Usually we pay a large premium for many goods made in the US. The Tone Poets are a steal.

Analog360 and AFA like this.
  4. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I have heard some of the Test pressings from this series and was very impressed. I think you will all be very pleased - it’s really good to hear that the series will continue into next year as well :)

5. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

The success of the BN Tone Poet and BN80 series probably caught many in the industry by surprise. Hopefully additional labels took note and will announce their own AAA programs. Prestige, Savoy, Bethlehem, Candid anyone ?

In looking at the titles, I am glad that EMARCY is getting some love....Clifford Brown- Sarah Vaughn is SPECTACULAR ! Brown's trumpet comes through with visceral impact on first pressings- it sounds like lightening modulated by trumpet valves. The recent Mosaic Clifford Brown- Max Roach box set lost the visceral impact of the original pressings, so I am anxious to hear this remaster.

I am very familiar with Getz/Gilberto. I have first pressings, a Japanese UMV pressing, and a German Box set of all Getz Bossa Nova titles. All sound different. It will be interesting to hear how the new remaster compares.

Since this is Verve the elephant in the room would be Ella Fitzgerald. Is there potential for AAA Songbook reissues ? Ella and Louis, would be nice, but Ella/Louis- Porgy and Bess would be spectacular.

Amazon CA is offering a preorder at $40 Cdn. Title does not show up on the US site.

6. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

I didn't see that in the press release. Did you let that one slip? :cool:

Harrison_Bergeron and Jellis77 like this.
  7. rubberhead

rubberhead Erotic Thriller

Oh, I know. I'd be optimistic, I'm sure the executives are aware how popular the VMP was and while still far from a household name Dearie's profile has never been higher than it is now. Personally I think a box set of her six Verve albums would be an excellent idea.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Due to the price of that a 33 rpm version done to the same standard is a welcome addition.

Harrison_Bergeron and trd like this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I think he's referring to the fact that the product pages on acousticsounds.com say that more titles are to be announced as the series continues.

10. Really glad about this news, great material, and 33RPM works fine for me.
    And it bodes well for Tone Poet-like projects to proliferate. Yay! I'll vote with my wallet.

I was not a fan of George Marino's Verve remasters (bright) but have enjoyed some Ryan Smith remastering, so that's a plus.
    I'd want to learn more about what tapes were available given the fire.
    I'm maybe up for A Love Supreme and happy its not 45RPM as that split up tracks. I'm curious how Smith would do it differently than Gray (I have that SACD). Ballads I may pass on as I have the 45RPM and Speakers Corner 33RPM.
    Most of the others I'll seriously consider. The Sarah Vaughan would have to improve on the Speakers Corner which (for me) was inferior to the US SACD.

In priority order:
    1. • Clifford Brown and Max Roach—A Study in Brown (1959)
    2. • Louis Armstrong and Oscar Peterson—Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson (1958)
    3. • Stan Getz/João Gilberto—Getz/Gilberto (1964)
    4. • Nina Simone—I Put A Spell On You (1965)
    5. • Nina Simone—Pastel Blues (1965)
    6. • Peggy Lee—Black Coffee (1956)
    7. • George Russell—New York, N.Y. (1959)
    8. • John Coltrane—A Love Supreme (1964)
    9. • John Coltrane—Ballads (1963)
    10. • Sarah Vaughan—Sarah Vaughan (with Clifford Brown) (1954)
    What's your list?

11. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Great thoughts here. EMARCY Cannonball Adderley, Dinah Washington and more Clifford Brown with Sonny Rollins would be great.

My Masterdisk re-issue of Porgy sounds crazy good.

I'm sure war horses like Coltrane, Blues and the Abstract Truth, Billie Holiday and Ben Webster titles will be released first.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  12. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I was yes. I am not privy to what else is planned next year.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I don’t believe in buying just to have something but I agree with you. It’s never clicked for me, it’s fine and all but just never got me. But for $30 I’m up for trying again!

scotti likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Not in the EU though.

15. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I wonder if AP has any usable metal work from the Classic Records BG Verve titles stored away.

kt66brooklyn and mpayan like this.
  16. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

I have them all apart from one (Lonnie Smith arriving tomorrow) and I totally agree with you.

Harrison_Bergeron likes this.
  17. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

In for the Coltranes

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The MGM/Verve/Philips masters were and to the best of my knowledge still are stored on the East Coast and should be safe.

Harrison_Bergeron and quicksrt like this.
  19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I have the AP SACD of A Love Supreme too. However, I could not believe my ears when I played in comparison the Platinum SHM-CD issued in 2013. Impressions were posted in various threads such as this one. The definition of night and day.

rxcory likes this.
  20. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's possible. AP used the stampers from Classic for both Muddy Waters Folk Singer,
    Dave Brubeck Take 5, and likely some others that don't come to mind at the minute.

Leonthepro, struttincool and nosliw like this.
  21. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

No A&M titles,especially the A&M/CTI material with the most beautiful covers(Pete Turner) ever. A&M/Horizon has some titles worth the treatment. Lost in the fire?

22. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I've been searching for some Tone Poet pre-orders on Amazon.ca but they're not available. I can only find the April releases (Lee Morgan and Dr. Lonnie Smith) that came out but none found for the May releases either.

23. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

nosliw likes this.
  24. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Sshhhh dont tell anyone;)

AFA likes this.