Verve Label Group/UMe Announces Chad Kassem-Supervised All-Analog Classic Jazz Reissue Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marko K, Jun 11, 2020.

1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Seems like something that could be automated, with the right equipment.

astro70 likes this.
  2. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

After listening to the 33rpm of ALS I am still interested in getting the 45. The 33 sounds very good but I do wonder if the 45 is even better.

Is there any difference between the 2010 and 2013 AP releases?

FashionBoy likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Maybe, but when a record is pressed it needs to be treated with great care, an automated process is usually rough.

4. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Got Ballads from amazon.ca today, nice and flat.

They mostly nailed the look and feel of the original Impulse LPs, the font on the spine should be bolder and the orange on the label isn't bright enough. Can't wait to see more Impulse titles in this series.

Very enticed by the 2 Bill Evans titles on the insert - do we have street dates for those yet?

joshm2286 likes this.
  5. Leonthepro

There likely wont be much improvement, I had the same reaction when hearing the SC and now Verve reissue of ALS, the original tapes are simply gone and you will never hear a MMJ level of sonics with this album, 45RPM cant help it.
    It does have a different mastering, probably slightly lower EQ for example, but I wouldnt think its worth it.

No they are the same.

trd and dminches like this.
  6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Analogue Productions titles were plated/pressed at RTI before 2011 when the Quality Records plant got running,
    so the later copies were likely pressed from the same plates, at QRP.

[​IMG]

nosliw, joshm2286, FashionBoy and 7 others like this.
  7. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident

No one is mentioning (unless it’s far back in the conversation) the error on the track listing on the side B label for ALS... Disappointed that they missed this with such an important record. Instead of “Psalm” it says “Resolution” again... Sounds and looks great apart from this error

8. Leonthepro

Its been discussed. I think its good because we know which is the first press then. Assuming they correct it later.

Mr. Smith and Paul Aiden like this.
  9. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident

That’s true. Nice positive spin, I like that!

Elofan and FunkJazz like this.
  10. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Ok, I gonna say something that ain't gonna be very popular here: I compared the new vinyl of Ballads and A Love Supreme to my old 1996 CDs mastered by Michael Cuscuna.
    I had great expectations here as I think recent Blue Note Tone Poet series and most of BN80 just blew the old CD out of the water. I literally dumped my old RVG Cds and old McMaster editions (which were mostly better than RVG editions). It was like hearing most of those albums for the first time.

I don't see such a difference here.

Well, I know those Coltrane albums by heart, have listened to both of them like million times, so it was quite easy to compare.

A Love Supreme - on the new vinyl Coltrane's sax and Elvin Jones's cymbalsa are bit less harsh than on CD and that's actually the only noticable difference. Does it sound better than CD - yes it does, but only by small margin, definitely not a huge improvement.
    Ballads - I actually prefer my old CD. On vinyl McCoy's piano is buried in the mix and though Coltrane's sax is less harsh on vinyl, I don't like the way they treated McCoy Tyner here,

I think the truth might be the tapes are not in a splendid condition or they used some second generation tapes for vinyl, as some of the previous members posted (original master tapes burned in Universal fire, haven't they? what a disaster...).

Anyway, it's nice to have it on vinyl but if you have your old CDs just stick to them and you'll be fine.

11. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I've had the 1995 gatefold "20-Bit Super Mapping" CD version of ALS mastered by Michael Cuscuna since close to release date. It's the only version I have had, up until 2 hours ago when my Acoustic Sounds vinyl version arrived at my door! I've been anticipating and expecting great improvements with this vinyl version, supported by all the good reports of it on this forum. I'm off to set this on the turntable now and will be reporting back with my own conclusions in the coming days once I've had time to digest it and compare it properly with my CD.

joshm2286 and trd like this.
  12. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Popularity is a relative commodity. I don’t think this has to be a ‘fans only’ thread.

Personally I love vinyl, but I’m not fundamentalist. CDs are not generally sounding bad, not even per definition worse than vinyl. Some sound better. And sometimes they’re just different and it all becomes a matter of taste.

I think they’ve done a great job with ALS, and a pretty good job with Ballads. Doesn’t mean they will be the only copy of these albums I’ll play from now on. Where’s the fun in that?

13. Leonthepro

Im not surprised at all.

The tapes were lost / terminated long before the fire.

14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

There are some very good sounding CDs. I just got the Earth, Wind & Fire Live! CD, a live set from their height in 1975. It's sounds fantastic!

But I have not heard a CD that sounds as good as vinyl at its best. Nothing comes close to the best 45rpms I have, although my analog setup is better than my CD setup.

15. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Ridiculous post. You are speculating on a record you've never heard and you then make a conclusive statement? You're also wrong they sound very different.

AnalogJ and Tom Campbell like this.
  16. AnalogJ

@FashionBoy, Sorry, but can you say to which post you are referring here?

17. Leonthepro

Others who have it have described it. How did you rationalize my wording of "likely" to mean "Conclusively"?
    Different also does not necessarily mean improvement.

I get that you like your purchase, no need to be so defensive about it though.

18. Click “Show Ignored Content” at the bottom of the page and you should see the post he quoted

19. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I think there is a reason he's "ignored" :winkgrin:

Elofan, Greenmonster2420 and AnalogJ like this.
  20. AnalogJ

Er...I hate to unleash the Pandora's Box. :)

Twinsfan007 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  21. Leonthepro

Of course. Curious that he doesnt know who it is though, I guess he ignores a lot of people.

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

ALS from this series arrived recently. I'm happy to report my copy sounds excellent, no major pressing issues like some have reported but I suppose I just got lucky.

No other vinyl issues to compare, sorry. The last time I tried to buy this on vinyl I went through three copies of a latter day TML cut and the pressing quality was abysmal. Loads of non-fill, warping, random surface noise, etc. I sent them all back in disgust.

23. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Has anybody found Study In Brown up for preorder any place besides AS yet? Definitely one I’m interested in but I was spoiled by many stores selling these for almost $10 less than AS. I know Target has them, but I’m definitely not dealing with them again.

24. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Amazon has had it up for a couple weeks at 26.99

astro70 likes this.
  25. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Thank you, another company I really try to avoid in order to support smaller stores. Guess I’ll keep waiting for Plaid Room to add them for preorder