Very new to vinyl...question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kingoffighters, Sep 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingoffighters

kingoffighters Member Thread Starter

Hello, I am very new to vinyl so I may not understand some of the explanation and may ask questions over and over so sorry in advance.

I've searched through the forums and found some threads related to the question I wanted to ask but they are old and locked so sorry if it sounds like doubling up but it's not...i just simply can't ask questions on already existing thread.

First, I currently have a AT-LP120XUSB and I'm thinking of changing my needle, which I believe is called the Stylus. To my understanding, the green thing is called the Cartridge, and the arm thing that the green thing is connected to is called the HEAD?

I want to upgrade to Audio-Technica VM540ML but here comes the questions....
    1) Is this an overkill for the LP120X as this cost just as much the turntable?

2) Looking at AMAZON's listing, I am not exactly sure which one to get:
    VM540ML CARTRIGE / CARTRIDGE + HEADSHELL / CARTRIDGE + HEADSHELL (ATH-HS6BK) or VM540ML/H Combo Kit. Which one do i choose out of those 5 choices? Amazon link is here https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...d=1&keywords=VM540&qid=1600566546&sr=8-1&th=1

3) When the lifespan is near dying, do I need to spend 200+ (assuming price doesn't change) again if I want the same quality? And Do I buy the same thing I bought from #2 question or do I buy something else?

4) The default..i think the model was 95E is set to 2 on the weight thing and 2 on the other dial on the right side of it because Youtube video said to do so (I couldn't find this information on the manual). What do I set the dial on this model for the LP120X?

Again, I am very new to this and don't know my left and right so if anyone is kind enough to guide me through, I greatly appreciate it. Perferbably, speak stupid to me as I am not very wide with the vinyl worlds dictionary.

2. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

If you are a complete novice, and it sounds like you are, you might find this helpful:

The Beginner's Guide to Buying Vinyl and Record Players (Turntables)

It's just one example--the first I was able to find in a few seconds (literally) of searching. If you take a little more time, you should easily be able to find all kinds of basic information about LPs and playing them and about the equipment that plays them. In a day of reading, you ought to be able to get yourself up to speed--33 1/3rpm, would be a good speed.

Good luck and enjoy :)

Martin Takamine likes this.
  3. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

4. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

What cartridge do you have right now? If it is another Audio Technica cartridge, you may be able to replace only the (slide-in/slide-out stylus assembly).

If you're replacing the whole cartridge, you need to familiarize yourself with the cartridge mounting and alignment procedure. It is not difficult but requires some care, patience, and a gentle-to-moderate touch. If you're just replacing the stylus assembly, the procedure is much simpler but still requires care and a gentle touch.

Don't buy cartridges on Amazon, especially when the listed sellers are not actual audio dealers. You don't know whether you're actually buying a knock-off, non-Audio Technica product.

Since you're in the U.S. and you seem to want to buy online, buy from a recognized audio dealer, e.g., Music Direct. Here's a link to their Audio Technica product pages:

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?...SC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

Music Direct provides fast service.

Your turntable already has a headshell. However, if you just want to unscrew the existing headshell and cartridge and set is aside, you will have to buy another Audio Technica headshell in addition to the new cartridge.

Here's a video published on YouTube by Fluance that explains cartridge installation in straightforward language:

Here's a YouTube video showing how the change just the stylus assembly on your AT120 turntable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxgH3e-FtI0

And here's a video showing the installation of your preferred Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J_kI2hhV5A

Watch the videos, take notes if necessary, and keep your smartphone or tablet handy when you eventually do the installation so you can review the video(s) as you go.

bluemooze, Radio, Hardcore and 2 others like this.
  6. kingoffighters

Thanks everyone, but as for the product I was looking at..on a stock 120xUSB, which one should I get, if I was to buy one. There's a total of 5 selections I can choose, at least on Amazon webpage.

Starting from exactly what product I need to buy first will help me understand better what to look for.

Also, didn't exactly get direct answers for 1~4 so if anyone can assist in those direct answers there. From there, I think I will have a better understanding + use posted guide as references. sorry for the trouble, thank you very much

7. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

You really should familiarize yourself with the basics and then come here for purchase recommendations. Not doing so is a recipe for disappointment.

8. kingoffighters

again, I simply want answers for 1 through 4, i just learn better that way, hope you can understand. The references / answer for those questions will help me get a better understanding. Please do note, the guidance that's been posted also will be read, but i'm still asking for the answers for the questions asked

9. Martin Takamine

1. Yes
    2. None, just replace stylus with stylus suggested in post #3
    3. Just replace stylus with stylus suggested in post #3
    4. AT-LP120XUSB ships with AT-HS6 universal ½"-mount headshell and AT-VM95E Dual Magnet™ phono cartridge per Audio-Technica website and the manual which you should read before you proceed. The manual also explains the "dials" which set tracking force and anti-skate. In your manual, Specifications states Tracking force range 1.8 to 2.2 g (2.0 g standard). Please start by reading your manual in its entirety then read from the suggested links.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  10. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I'll give it a shot:

1) Is this an overkill for the LP120X as this cost just as much the turntable?
    Maybe. If you do upgrade the turntable you can, of course, keep the high-end cartridge and use on the better turntable.

2) Looking at AMAZON's listing, I am not exactly sure which one to get:
    VM540ML CARTRIGE / CARTRIDGE + HEADSHELL / CARTRIDGE + HEADSHELL (ATH-HS6BK) or VM540ML/H Combo Kit. Which one do i choose out of those 5 choices? Amazon link is here https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...d=1&keywords=VM540&qid=1600566546&sr=8-1&th=1

I assume you already have a headshell so would only need the cartridge. The advantage of getting it with a headshell is, I presume, it will come with the correct alignment - that is a convenience at a cost. That said, see Agitator's advice about shopping at Music Direct (or other reputable audio dealer) for better service and reliability.

3) When the lifespan is near dying, do I need to spend 200+ (assuming price doesn't change) again if I want the same quality? And Do I buy the same thing I bought from #2 question or do I buy something else?

The cartridge will in theory out last us all, it is the stylus that wears down and needs to be replaced. See my original post for just upgrading the stylus on your existing cart. That will be less expensive and won't require realignment of the cartridge.

4) The default..i think the model was 95E is set to 2 on the weight thing and 2 on the other dial on the right side of it because Youtube video said to do so (I couldn't find this information on the manual). What do I set the dial on this model for the LP120X?

I believe all the AT carts in this discussion have a recommended VTF (Vertical Tracking Force) of 2.0 grams. VTF is not a big deal to adjust, but does require a scale for best results.

Hope that helps. I'm sure the real experts will weigh in.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I own a variant of the AT-LP120XUSB, from a decade+ back. The biggest improvement that you can make on it today is to replace the stylus. It will be audibly apparent and not overkill at all.

And I own a VM540ML btw (actually the VMN40ML, the stylus only varient). What I'm not certain of is if you swap out the AT-VM95E stylus for the VMN40ML to save some money from buying the VM540ML. You can do this with some AT styluses, for example an AT120e to VMN40ML upgrade would work. Just not sure about the VM95E.

[EDIT quick Google on my part...I don't think you can upgrade the stylus to a VMN40ML...would probably need to buy the VM540ML]

12. kingoffighters

Thank you, and I tried looking for that information on the manual for #4, but i couldn't find it. What I had to do was go to the AT's youtube channel to get my answer. All the manual said was something in the nature of please make sure that both dials are not contradicitn each other or something around that nature..but did not give specific what to dial into. I spent a good 30 minutes looking for it on the manual until eventually I had to go find it on youtube. And this was bought from AT directly so not sure if I was missing that part of the manual or not but it wasn't there or i could simply not find it in 30 minutes.

13. mled

mled Forum Resident

Quick answers:
    1) Yes, overkill, wouldn’t do it with my $
    2) see above
    3) if you’re happy with this cartridge then you need only get a replacement stylus (needle). No need to buy an entire cartridge. In the case of this AT 95 cartridge (Black thing), the green thing is the replacement stylus.
    You can also upgrade just the stylus as Radio mentions above, with what is basically the same type of stylus on the AT540ml.
    4) somewhere in the manual for any cartridge the manufacturer will list the recommended ‘tracking force or VTF. You could probably find this by doing a google search or contacting AudioTechnica directly. Make share to balance the arm and set then set the dial to zero so you are starting at zero before moving the weight to 2

14. kingoffighters

Yes, thank you for taking your time. Replies like these makes me understand things better and I appreciate it.

Radio likes this.
  15. kingoffighters

Thank you, yes, setting up (intial at least), i am well aware of..it's just the weight / dial in portion i could not find it in the original manual and finally found it once i started searching on AT's youtube channel...and wanted to avoid a similar situation with a new head / stylus if it was the same type of situation

16. kingoffighters

Kind of an unrelated question and probably one thing that is puzzling me but...what is the base thing on the picture (one reason why things are making me confused a bit)

PIcture was too big for it to me imaged tagged so here's a link
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81DfqLz3FqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Is the base thing...like a holder to hold the arm potion when it ships (in package)? I'm talking about the bottom part that looks like a rectangle shape with cut-in groves where it makes it look like an old school credit card reader.

17. Martin Takamine

See pages 1, 7 and 15.
    AT-LP120XUSB manual

18. kingoffighters

I did not get such a manual packaged.. I dont' recngoze the cover itself. from what I remember..it was a pamphlet looking thing with various languages. But the box is already in storage so can't conveniently get to it..but I def. don't have that specific manual

19. mled

mled Forum Resident

Hey Kingdom fighters, I totally understand where your coming from regarding keeping track of manuals and manufacturers and venders that do not give full specifications on line. Check out vinyl engine web site; they have a library of manuals to download. I use this when I inevitably misplace my owners manuals.
    Sounds like you are finding the info you need now. It took my quite some time to understand the basics and I learn new stuff all the time about tables and setup, etc. Best of luck!

CCrider92 likes this.
  20. kingoffighters

thank you very much! I think it's more towards of "worry" kicking in so i'm misplacing myself, but there are still many things I need to learn.

21. mled

mled Forum Resident

yes, exactly, this is What’s in the box of the version that comes with a headshell. I bought this recently, in fact I’m listening to it as I type this.

22. kingoffighters

Add on question, what's a good Phono Cable (not sure if ground is needed)?

I do understand that materials do make a difference but I am not looking into looking for something like pure silver etc as I am not going to spend $$$ on a 300 dollar turntable...and to me, at least with headphones / iems, I hear the difference but it's not worth the price for me.. would rather spend that money on a better AMP etc.

What I am mainly looking for is a longer PHONO cable and without loosing much quality due to length. I am not exactly sure how long I am looking for but are Phono cables ok to be at 6feet or higher? Which brands and/or models are recommended? Again, not looking to spend something crazy (that's what my headphones and side are for), main thing is wanting it longer than stock cables (the stock cables are really short and it's kind of right next to amp because of it, which i don't like)

23. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Ideally you want a cable with low capacitance. The Blue Jeans Cables are favorites around here:

Stereo Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

I use KabelDirekt which are very inexpensive but in my opinion good.

24. kingoffighters

Thank you very much!

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Audio upgrade purchases should always be for something better than you've already got. That's how you eventually put together a top-sounding system over time.

If you always match the quality of your new audio equipment to the level of your existing equipment then you will always get the same sound quality as your current setup.

There are many audio advice givers that don't understand this simple concept. Good luck. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.