Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

VG / G+: The Great Divide

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by lazydawg58, Feb 14, 2021.

1. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

VG- or G+ is like a school grade of F+.

2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know Thread Starter

I just noticed that the thread has been moved from the music forum to the marketplace forum so I need to clarify a little bit. When in the OP I say that "most sellers over grade" I am in no way referring to the marketplace sellers here. I don't have any experience with this marketplace. I'm referring to e-bay and DISCOGS. When I'm talking about grading it is focused on cataloging my own collection and putting records out at my antique shop.

The main thing I'm wanting feedback on is where to draw the line when dropping from VG to G+.

3. lazydawg58

That's not very helpful.

4. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Forum Resident

Unless I bought a record sealed and I was the first to play it, I rarely grade anything NM just because I don't know its full history. That's probably a bit extreme, but, as I mentioned earlier, I tend to grade conservatively anyway.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I think we all need to think about what the word good means. A record that cannot be enjoyed because of all of the surface noise cannot be good, can it?

Upon hearing it, would you say that an overly noisy record is good? As in, “Hey, you know, that sounds good!” No, you would say, “Ugh, that doesn’t sound good at all.”

And that’s what poor means...not good at all.

Poor is not unplayable. Unplayable is unplayable...and a totally trashed record.

6. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Another issue is how you engage in the playgrading process. I generally try to listen to records I obtain all the way through, carefully sitting and paying attention to the record without looking at the phone or books etc., at what many would consider excessive volume. Using that approach, there are literally almost no records, even brand new ones, that don't have at least one or two quiet tics somewhere across 45 minutes of sound. I strongly suspect that most normal listeners would never notice this, and would not comment on it. Personally, if an LP has just a couple or three quiet tics, and no inner groove distortion and is well centered on both sides, I feel that is good to go and you are not likely to get a better copy. However, I'm not sure that that type of an album technically meets the NM criteria as written. As a result, if you follow the guidelines strictly, it is actually the VG+ grading that is way too wide, encompassing records that are final "keepers" and on the other end records that you might keep looking for a better copy.

lazydawg58 and angelo73 like this.
  7. leavingthistown

leavingthistown Well-Known Member

I think that these are admirable rules and faithful enough to the grades as they were set. In addition, I'd say that the UK grade Ex, much underused these days, is a good way of differentiating between the VG+/VVG distinction. If yr sending records out at those grades, good for you and anyone who buys from you.

I do wish tho that they actually applied more in the real world, especially of buying online. A lot of things graded at VG+ have extensive passages of noise on them. Realistically, I'll fairly happily take 30 seconds or so of surface noise (crackle or repeated clicks) at a time on a VG+ record, maybe happening two or three times at most, simply because it's unrealistic to expect better.

I'd probably be happy to have more like a minute of that kind of noise at a time on a VG record, but I got so many like that which are graded VG+ that it became too much of a hassle to return everything and I stopped buying 2nd hand (and went back to buying new records which were scratched to buggery anyway).

G+ I would probably say was 'some extensive noise/long periods of ticking (throughout an entire song, for instance), but it plays thru more or less without skips, and with the majority of the record sounding reasonable'

lazydawg58 likes this.
  8. lazydawg58

Thanks for your response. I buy a lot online but don't sell. It is just too much of a hassle, turns the hobby into work. I do sell inexpensive records at a consignment shop and play grade some and just visually look over others. I don't put a grade on the ones I visually check but do on the ones I play grade.

leavingthistown likes this.