VG vinyl records and lower grades.. Who buys them and why?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Old Zorki II, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Discogs can be a bit dicier because theres rarely photographs available. If theres a couple of decent photos it allows me to factor in the grade I think it is. The problem is, as always, visual grade versus the play or sound quality grade. A good seller gives you both. The average seller usually defaults to the visual. I found a record recently at about 1/3 of its average going price. No photos, listed as VG+ / VG (LP/cover). Took a chance. What I got was an easy VG++ LP and cover. The VG for the cover was because the corner was clipped as a promo from the label - otherwise pristine.

McLover likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I would not think a Hoffinite would understand this mentality.
    At the risk of upsetting my vinyl brethren, I will state that there are ones out there that believe constant crackle and excessive ring wear adds charm to the format.
    A 'no cover' listing may be the only red flag for them.
    Hope my post did not incite nausea in anyone!:disgust:

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have been looking a lot at Discogs listings on 45s & it seems several sellers have all their listings as M (Mint).
    Not Near Mint (NM or M-) but M (Mint).
    All their listings cannot be exactly Mint.
    I tend to skip over those sellers because I find their grading to be less than believable.
    Now if they had some Near Mint or VG+ listings mixed in, I'd find it easier to accept their grading.

Darryl

Old Zorki II likes this.
  4. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I’ve bought a g album before because it had a vg+ sleeve which I wanted to upgrade. The record went straight in the bin

Old Zorki II likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.