VH1 Classics

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Evan L, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist Thread Starter

Has everyone had a chance to watch this channel yet? Perhaps this is labeling me into "Old Fartism", but I just looooove this channel and can watch it for hours! Oh sure, mixed in with the good stuff, you'll have your Poison and Whitesnake, but where else are you gonna see great forgotten clips like(for example)the Ramones' "Do You Remember Rock & Roll Radio"?

VH1 Classics has the MatrixMan's
    :thumbsup: !!!

2. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I watched it for awhile last year when it had some variety, with a focus on the 60s and 70s. Now it seems to be all 80s 'stuff' - I swear when channel surfing I've come across them playing that awful 'I'm Gonna Spin You Right Round' song repeatedly. I really wanted to get that song out of my head permanently:sigh:

Ere

3. Kym

Kym Former Resident

To see the video for Toronto's "Your Daddy Don't Know" was a treat, though I think they play way too much Alphaville... :sigh:

4. bbush32

bbush32 New Member

I have not had the chance yet but I just had Digital cable installed today so I will be checking this out very soon.

Thanks for the tip.

5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I like VH1 classic becuase they actually play music videos. Wow, music videos on a video channel, what a concept!

6. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

It amazed me to see a video by Shoes, "In My Arms Again" from their "Present Tense" album on VH-1C last Thurs. evening! It's not flawless, but it's SO much better than MTV or VH-1. The only commercial interruptions are promos for the regular VH-1.

7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Wow. If I see the video again for "Too Late," I'll die a happy man! :D

8. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Is that a straight "performance" video like "In My Arms Again" w/ the band lyp-syncing to the song or is it a "concept" video?

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I love VH1 Classic. They play everything. I've seen videos on there that I've never seen every time I watch. I want to kiss everyone's feet that programs that station.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

My cable company finally started carrying VH1 Classic a couple months ago, and I'm hooked, just like MTV in the early days. The programmers are apparently big fans of Joan Jett.:righton:

One drawback: they recycle their programming during the day, so the same block of 80s videos will be played in the morning and at night. Minor complaint!

11. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Yeah, I like VH-1 Classics also. It's a nice break from all the reality shows on those other "music channels".

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I too like VH-1 Classics. As posted above, they actually play MUSIC VIDEOS!! (What an approach!)

I always see a video or two that I have never seen before.

13. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Hi Bill,

"Too Late" was a performance video. I remember seeing three videos from the Present Tense album, and they were all lip-syncs, all filmed at once, I assume.

14. nashreed

nashreed New Member

I love the "VH1 Classic" too. I've had it for well over a year, and seen it change for the worse. I preferred it when it was just random old videos with no hour blocks ("We Are The 80's", Etc.)- so that you could see anything at any time. The station is good now, but it was better than. I could do without the Eddie Trunk and that chickee's meaningless "trivia", but oh well, it's still MUSIC VIDEOS!

I understand MTV2 used to be free-form and exciting in the long long ago too. Now it's just BET. Regular MTV and VH1 are so horrible now that they should just be test patterns. "Outrageous Game Show Moments" and "Risky Business" are not music! Why doesn't VH1 just show series and videos from its past if they're so starved for programming. Just plug in a days worth of shows/videos from '89 and sit back. At least it would have some nostalgia value, or rerun "Bands On The Run". They've even cut way back on the "Behind The Music" re-runs! Somebody help VH1!!!

James

15. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I watched some this morning. Saw some "Big Hair" if you know what I mean... WASP... wow.. now that was some hair!

16. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I used to watch it, but now that it's mostly butt-rock, I don't bother. A few months back, I saw a butt-rock cover of "Saturday Night's Alright For Fightin'" on that channel. Awful.

17. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Butt-rock? Has a genre of music slipped under my radar?

18. AKA

AKA Senior Member

It's another term for "hair band."

19. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Duly noted, I shall now refer to all hair bands as butt-rock bands.

20. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Makes one wonder how they both ever got so far off the track.

21. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

My opinions on VH-1 Classic were altered when I saw that the "Top 100 Songs Of The Last 25 Years" was fobbed off onto the channel this weekend. I'd prefer they keep their "list" programming on VH-1. If they want to make me happy they could show some of the "vintage" concerts in their vaults like the REM show from '84 IIRC and a Lone Justice show from '85. I can just imagine how nicely those would go down w/out commercial interruption. They could show videos of the band to round out the time. Please VH-1 Classic, no "Behind The Music"!

22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

They should totally show live concerts on say a Sunday night or something. Heck show Live Aid all weekend. How cool would that be?

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Another acceptable moniker is "poodle rock," coined in the ROLLING STONE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF ROCK AND ROLL, in honor of the hairstyles.

24. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

That sounds good, but I wonder if they'd be able to clear the rights for that.

25. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist Thread Starter

VH-1 did show Live Aid a few years back(I know because I taped it).

Despite all of the 80's stuff and "butt rock", I still like this channel. It rules!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.