Vic Anesini: Any Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Great work on Byrds

2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Seems to me that he likes to crank the treble when mastering CDs, which: no I do not agree with. I have the original Bob Dylan Shot of Love CD which exhibits exaggerated tape hiss amplitude.

I am thankful for his mixing work on Elvis' 1969 studio recordings, though. Sometimes it's just E, a bass guitar, some drums, and what not, which is all that the good Lord wants to hear when I play it for him on my hi-fi.

3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, us older people need more treble due to the age related hearing loss! ;)

4. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Would be interested to know your preferred mastering/CD of this one?

eelkiller likes this.
  5. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

I didn’t know that he mastered them. Both sound great. The S/T Legacy CD is much better than the recent hi-res download.

luckyno13 likes this.
  6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Tone controls are great for that!

7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

One of the best major label mastering engineers working today.

8. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

... and sounds better than the MoV vinyl edition.

9. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Rocka Rolla isn't bad, but there are better choices out there for his Sad Wings:

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Track DR 11 08 07 09 07 08 07 08 06

Knowing Vic's work, I'm guessing that he might not have had the original tapes to work with.

Chemically altered likes this.
  10. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

You are making an accusation that makes no sense based on what was written in the posts preceding yours.

You are making an accusation against a member whose posts are consistently interesting, helpful and well informed.

Perhaps you could reconsider?

11. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Hi Rusty,
    Could you please confirm that he did Rainy Day Music. I checked Discogs and they show someone else as the mastering engineer for the 2014 American label release. I will definitely pick this up if he did. I've already ordered the Anesini version of Smile. Thanks very much.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Nothing but love for Vic's work. Huge respect, huge props. I'm thrilled whenever I see his credit.

Really loved the whole crew at the old Sony Mastering Studios. Shame it closed. He's at Battery now, right?

dan c

RSteven likes this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed. That whole crew really is stupendous. They are all indeed at Sony Battery in New York where the old iconic Record Plant Studios use to be located. I am not sure about the location of the original Sony Studios though.

I am excited too as I am looking forward to the release of an iconic Christmas album from RCA's Living Stereo label, John Klein's A Christmas Sound Spectacular, remastered as a twofer along with Mr. Klein's second holiday album, Let's Ring the Bells ALL AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE for a splendid twofer CD release through Real Gone Music. I have the honor of writing the liner notes for this historic release and Sony Battery Studio's will be doing the remastering on this beauty sometime this month. According to Mr. Anesini, August is known as "The Christmas Month" at Sony Battery Studios since so many holiday albums get remastered there during this time of year for release in the fall. This is the first time A Christmas Sound Spectacular has ever been released on CD in its Living Stereo incarnation and the first time ever release on CD in any form of his second holiday album.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Big fan.

RSteven likes this.
  15. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

It was a digital only release;

http://a.co/6bKMZ7w

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  16. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

I can confirm this for you. Vic did remaster Rainy Day Music in 2014. The catalog number is B0020887-02.

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Take out "major label" and I agree with you.

Bananas&blow and RSteven like this.
  18. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

The Jayhawks official Twitter said that Anesini did all the 2014 remasters.

Hep Alien, Dan C and Instant Karma like this.
  19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I disagree with the folks who disregard his work on The Essential Kinks. A lot of the early Kinks have always sounded a little rough, especially on CD. I don't know, overall I thought those discs sounded pretty good, especially the later stuff. Maybe people think its too compressed. Not sure, its not listed on the DR database. Nevertheless, I really like it.

Also, I echo everyone's sentiments towards the Elvis Legacy editions. Those are outstanding.

c-eling and RSteven like this.
  20. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Hate to break it to you, but I bought this set from Best Buy a while back and it contains the Jon Astley remasters. The noise reduction and filtering made the mastering instantly recognizable. Vic Anesini unfortunately had nothing to do with this release. I bought the box because of Vic's name appearing on the back, but I was so disappointed and angry upon listening to it that I actually wrote a letter to Sony about it. I also wanted to contact Vic himself about this, but I couldn't find his email address. FWIW, Vic is credited on the 2015 version of The Essential Judas Priest as well, but that too contains the Astley versions. Here are the DR values for the box: Album details - Dynamic Range Database. With that said, hopefully your copy of the set actually does have Vic's mastering and the one I had was an earlier version. Can anybody confirm this?

Pouchkine and hi_watt like this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Vic's remastering on the Elvis Legacy releases have been outstanding to say the least. His entire work on Elvis's catalogue, which really took flight during the last decade or so, has been a revelation on the range and beauty of Elvis's best vocal work. The RCA Album Collection is a true sonic delight thanks to Vic's stupendous restoration and remastering skills.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. It's possible Vic may have had a hand in mastering a few songs on that compilation, but you are probably right. Sony Legacy mastered large swaths of their back catalog for many acts, possibly in preparation for widestream digital consumption and different formats. Multiple engineers would handle the work and I'm not always sure if the released CD comps would have entirely accurate mastering credits. I think Vic's name may have been used on that Essential line whenever the work was done by any engineer at Sony Mastering.

23. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Thanks very much Dear 23. That is my next purchase. Great album.

24. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

A great sounding CD and a HUGE upgrade over the previous version. Enjoy!

Instant Karma likes this.
  25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Indeed he did. They’re all spectacular.

dan c

Instant Karma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.