Vic Anesini: Elvis done right!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomcat, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member Thread Starter

I have just listened to the new "Elvis 56", remastered by Vic Anesini. What a relief, compared to the terribly awful "Elvis Golden Records" with its "RESTORED TO ORIGINAL MONO" statement! I know there are better versions of the "Golden Records" out, but I have no other item to compare it to (and no, I haven't got nor heard the 24 Karat Hits!), and I guess Anesini hits the nail with this one! I am looking forward to his Sun remasters!
    Happy listening
    Thomas

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Thomas,

I'm pretty happy with Vic's work on the all-MONO Elvis '56 - a nice surprise!

Bob:)

3. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Wow. It's time to buy '56!

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Is this the same '56 from a few years ago (in the collector's case) or has a new one come out?

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Same question!

Please?

6. Bob Lovely

Hi Todd,

I am at work but, 2002 as I recall. Mastered by Vic Anesini using DSD technology. Supposedly, from the stone cold first generation master tapes. Tracks are very detailed, clean and nicely EQ'ed...

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

A new one for sure then.

Thanks Bob.

8. Todd Fredericks

Thanks, Bob! A new one to buy!! I sometimes wish they could nail these things the first time around....

9. Bob Lovely

This disc gets my recommendation [not easy]. I have used tracks from this disc on my project. This is a premium priced disc at $13.99 with a discount.

Worth a buy!

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

No. Very cool case, though. I'm saving mine, and putting the Anesini disc in it.

11. Todd Fredericks

That sounds like the ticket!

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Is '56 the only "remaster" that receives the forum "thumbs up"? Didn't BMG release '56 with a few other titles around the same time.

I'm waiting for member Mr.stats to chime in here.

13. Bob Lovely

Donald,

I believe this was released the same time as Heart And Soul which, I do not have.

14. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

There was also the single-disc soundtrack song compilation, the name of which I forget.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wait, he did it in DSD and then downsampled to 44.1? WHY??????????????

16. Bob Lovely

To make it a Red Book disc! [stating the obvious].

I get the "impression" that BMG has contracted with Sony to DSD archive Presley's catalog and for now, rather than release SACD's, they released regular Redbook CD's....

Elvis '56 does sound quite nice to me...

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

About the same as the mono cuts Steve mastered for his 24 Karat Hits collection. However, I still think the best sounding "Don't Be Cruel" is on the Great Performances CD. Stunning standup bass sound on that one!

Evan

18. Todd Fredericks

I think MFSL did this with 'Full Moon Fever'....

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm sure it sounds fine, but downsampling from DSD to CD is exactly what I try to avoid in my work.

20. Bob Lovely

The extra dithering step, correct? I was surprised when I saw the DSD logo on the disc. The star of this disc is Anesini's EQ work - very nice!

21. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

That version, released in 1996, was remastered by Dick Baxter & Dennis Ferrante.

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks, Bob

23. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Actually, it was the opposite (remember this was pre-merger). Sony offered BMG some free services to use DSD for a certain number of projects (as good will to Sacds or I guess for marketing reasons). I don't know how many, but I know the Elvis discs were part of the freebie deal.

Being that BMG had already suffered some major cutbacks (including getting rid of studios and equipment), this was a deal BMG would of been crazy to ignore - especially since they've been using Sony's studios anyway after the cutbacks.

I don't know what the story is now (I haven't talked to my friend over there for a few months), but I sure am glad to see Vic's work on other projects like the Nilsson and Ultimate Dolly Parton.

24. Bob Lovely

Gabe,

Thanks for your insight. This explains SONY's work on the BMG Heritage product...

25. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

FWIW, AMG doesn't list an '02 for release of Elvis '56, only the '96 release on RCA, with both Vic & Andreas Meyer credited w/mastering.

Can I assume this is a "rare" AMG screw-up? I'd like to pick this up, but don't want to get the wrong one.

doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.