Vic Anesini: Elvis done right!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomcat, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Look for the DSD logo...

Bob:)

2. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

Could someone explain why downsampling from DSD would materially worsen the sound? From my work with digital images, I would surmise that Bob Lovely was correct in guessing 'dithering' - after all, you're running two different digital processes to arrive at the outcome. Still, I would like a technical explanation.

As for these CDs, I have the DSD-mastered 'Elvis '56', 'Can't Help Falling In Love', and 'Heart And Soul.' I think the other one was a country compilation - I didn't get it. Also, the 'Christmas Peace' compilation that came out late last year is also mastered by Anesini with DSD. All of these are the BEST sounding versions I've heard so far OTHER THAN Steve's DCC discs. The Christmas album is a particular treat since the 2nd CD is Elvis' gospel music - great stuff I haven't burned myself out on over the years. (I can almost hear the 'hits' in my sleep...)

Being an Elvis fan, I'm very happy to see his catalogue finally getting the remastering it deserves.

Speaking of Vic Anesini and BMG Heritage, he also did the recent Guess Who Anthology. I haven't compared this one to anything other than that vilified 3-CD set, but it easily trumps that one. Nice and analog sounding.

3. Boje

Boje New Member

Correct. The country title is GREAT COUNTRY SONGS.

In my opinion, the best sounding Vic Anesini remaster is the ELVIS CLOSE UP box set.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I bought a copy of Elvis '56 through BMG last year. It's the Anesini DSD master. The BMG web site also lists it as 1996 master, although the picture shows the DSD version; it has a thin paper band with a picture of the Elvis' face from the nose down, and a blurb for the "Elv1s" (#1) CD.

5. Bob Lovely

Got it right here. It says it was published in 2002 but the "official" release date was 01/07/03...

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Dithering only comes into play when going down in bit-depth, not sample rates. Of course, the stuff was most likely captured at 24-bit, so dither was indeed used. Not to worry, though, these days, dither is so transparent that it's not much of an issue.

What the issue is, is what is done to the sound when you go from DSD to PCM. In this case, downsampling or dither may not have happened at all if they went straight from DSD to 44.1, 16-bit.

Whatever the case, i'll have to pick this one up!

7. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

This thread popped up quick!

So, the Sun remaster project will be done in DSD? Fantastic!
    I'll tell you guys, My fav singer is E, but until this dsd stuff came around, I had stopped buying E remasters. So tired of the thin sound.
    The major exception is of course Steve's work, but other than that, I was done buying most of the re-issues.

The dsd projects have brought me back.
    The tracks that really shine are the stereo tracks though. Awesome.

Bring on the Elvis SACD's BMG!

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Anyone can explain... why Vic does a lot for RCA??? I thought he's one of the chief engineers at Sony Legacy department.

9. thomh

thomh New Member

Not exactly. Ernst Jorgensen has confirmed that, of the 4 CDs that were released together in early January 2003, only a few of the tracks came from newly found first generation master tapes (I Want You I Need You I Love You, being one). This was due to budget constraints. They had one tenth the budget allocated to E1 for redoing all 4 CDs. The rest of the songs have been mastered with DSD but are from PCM sources.

________
    Thom

10. Bob Lovely

You are referring primarily to E2 here? Regardless, Elvis'56 sounds quite nice and the difference is Anesini versus the crew who butchered E1 -well documented here via many threads.

11. Bob Lovely

Claus,

Please Gabe's post at the top of this page...

12. thomh

thomh New Member

No, to E1. These 4 releases were hurried out inorder to catch the tail wind of the E1 release.

I agree, E1 could have been done with a bit more care.

BTW, I don't know if you remember, but there was much written about the "pop" at the end of Hound Dog on E1. The producers claiming that it was on the original tape, etc. Well, Ernst confirmed that the original master tape that was used for E1 did *not* have this "pop". So this was indeed a digital screwup.

_________
    Thom

13. Bob Lovely

Thom,

Thanks for your comments on E1 and "Hound Dog". Honestly, I cannot bear to listen to E1. BMG should have Anesini remaster it so I can buy it again!:laugh:

Bob:D

14. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

I'll second that Bob.

Terrible sound especially on the vinyl.

15. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

Vic Anesini rules! I could barely listen to one of my favourite albums, the 1999 remaster of "Waylon Live," because of the sound quality. Well, along comes Vic Anesini and he masters the 2002 "Waylon Live: The Expanded Edition." AMAZING. The album sounds incredible now. One of the best sounding discs I own, IMO, and certainly one of the best in terms of performance.

Anything with Vic Anesini's name on it is something I'll have confidence in when it comes to sound quality.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You're making him blush...

17. Boje

Boje New Member

We want to give credit where credit is due. Two people have made the Elvis catalog sound splendid; they are Steve Hoffman and Vic Anenisi.

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I wish other catalogs could have those two names on them too.

19. Boje

Boje New Member

I agree with you.:thumbsup:

20. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I would pay real money to have lunch with those two guys and eavesdrop on their shop talk. Between the horror stories and the trade tips, I'd be in heaven.

21. Boje

Boje New Member

Is Vic Anesini doing the Sun remasters?

22. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

Waylon's catalogue does! :edthumbs:

Of course, only three albums, though. (Steve: Ol' Waylon and Dreaming My Dreams; Vic: Waylon Live - The Expanded Edition.)

If only one of those guys could do the other albums yet to be on CD! :D

23. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

What are the Elvis titles Vic has remastered?

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

As does Johnny Cash.

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I wonder if Vic Anesini knows how highly regarded he is on another engineeer's forum. I think that'd be warmly received praise.

Steve: have you met Vic Anesini? Or Dennis Drake?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.