Video club recommendations

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

I'm thinking of joining a video club (DVD) to start a library for myself, but mostly for the teenagers in the house. Any recommendations, pros and cons?

thanks - Donald

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Pros...Search the CH site for your favorite DVD's that are the most expensive. After completeing your enrollment and buying the number of selections to complete membership you might be ahead of the game...I joined years ago when they offered Criterion DVD's! Those were the days!
    Cons...You have fullfillents.

3. stereoptic

thanks, Michael. I've already taken a look at Columbia House, and I didn't see too much of what I want, but there's a bunch there that I know that the kids want. I guess I'll have to watch them too if I join. :)

anyway, I was really questionning because I wasn't sure of shipping costs, obligations etc.

4. Michael

They charge shipping, handling, tax etc...I'd call the 800 number and get a figure so you can get an idea...They also run specials and you can save some there...They sometimes carry OOP stuff, and have a large catalog they mail out a few times a year and you can inquire about titles over the phone...

5. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I don't buy, I rent through Netflix.

6. Michael

The thrill of owning a near perfect qualty of my favorite movie on DVD is a miracle!...I've always dreamed of a media other than VHS! Nothing like control of your own programing and owning it boot!

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

You said it!

8. Michael

DVD is probably the best bargain in media today...Can't wait till DVD Recorders come down in price...I'm going to transfer all my unavailable VHS titles for archiving! and of course the classic family movies! LOL...

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

If you find the right deal, you can get a Columbia House deal with free shipping during enrollment. I got seven DVDs that run me about $27.50 total. My deal was 5 DVDs for 49 cents each. First fulfillment title was $9.95, second was $14.95. Free shipping. Such a deal, and I only have two more to buy.

My problem is selection--I don't like hardly any movie newer than 1980 (unless it's one of my favorite series, like Star Trek), and their selection of classics is your run-of-the-mill "meat and potatoes" titles. Music selection sucks. CH is good to fill in your collection or grab some titles on the cheap, but definitely not for hardcore collectors.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Agreed. Unless it's an absolute favorite, why pay $20-$30 for it?

Netflix costs only $20/month, the cost of purchasing a single DVD or five rentals at Blockbuster, minus the hassle of driving. I'm lucky that their East Coast warehouse is right up the road, so my returns are acknowledged and new choices sent out the next day. I recommend it to any movie lover.

11. -=Rudy=-

I buy with an intent to create a collection. I do mostly classics, or series that I follow. There is no telling what I might want to watch, and when. Right now I'm alternating between Star Trek III and the two newest Spongebob DVDs. With kids, too, they don't understand the concept of "rental" at a young age...if they ask for Lilo & Stitch, it HAS to be here. ;)

I've only regretted a couple of DVDs, but the rest I've enjoyed.

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

If you want to do the club thing check out the DVD Club section in the forums at DVD Talk. You'll find a few threads to help you get the most out of a membership. It can be a great way to build a collection, you can have two memberships at once & cancel and rejoin once you've met your commitment.

13. -=Rudy=-

Definitely. They keep track of all the promotional codes. The Columbia House defaults to a certain code....entering a specific code will change your shopping cart to fit the appropriate number of items with the correct pricing.

14. stereoptic

thanks to all who replied. I didn't see too many things that I am interested in, but there's loads for the kids. I still have some DVDs sitting on the shelf waiting for me to find some quiet time to sit and watch them UNINTERRUPTED.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.