Video footage of 1991 midnight release of record (Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jan 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

A trip down memory lane -- waiting outside a record store at midnight to pick up a new, hugely-hyped album on its release date!

I remember doing this, meeting other fellow fans in line and thinking, "I hope they don't run out of copies by the time I'm up!" :laugh:

In this video, it's funny they are playing Mariah Carey over the PA -- like there was no better album to play on a night that the store opened specifically to sell a certain new album to fans of that band. Also, paying with cash and coins!

2. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Can you believe that the store lacked the common sense of playing Guns N Roses on the PA?

3. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I was with my buddy at the Bellevue, Washington Tower Records waiting to be let in.

Fullbug likes this.
  4. LennonCobain

LennonCobain Forum Resident

1991 was a phenomenal year for rock music. Metallica, Nirvana, RHCP, Guns N’ Roses, etc.

The Trinity and WolfSpear like this.
  5. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

Midnight sales for new releases are one of my favorite memories of my youth. It’s nice having all the music in the world at your fingertips, but it does diminish the magic of putting a new album by a favorite artist in for the first time, at least for me.

6. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Awesome footage.

7. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

That week, Use Your Illusion I & II debuted at #1 and 2 on the Billboard 200... with II being the favorite.

8. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I got mine for two bucks each. Thrift shop. 10:00 AM. Walked right in.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  9. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I was working at Turtles at the time and it was okay, there weren't too many folks there and we were free to sell everything new that was coming out the next day. If you bought both you got $2.00 off both discs on top of the sale price ( I want to say it ended up costing $21.98 if you walked out with both, a pretty good deal , for that time). I think we ended up selling a bunch of Ozzy albums too.) I'm thankful we didn't make a habit of the late night new release day sales, we were already open til 12 on Friday and Saturday.

10. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I doubt it was the store having common sense, more like the staff having a laugh at the fans expense...I can't play the video with sound til later but if it was a chain store (like I worked at) they were probably not allowed to play parental advisory stickered discs. It's the kind of stuff we would have pulled at my store.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I feel like I just watched color outtakes from Clerks or something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.