Vienna Acoustic Bach Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jek57, Jul 29, 2020.

1. timind

timind phorum rezident

It's just a rubber plug, nothing special. You could probably stuff the hole and use some duct tape to seal and hold it.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

We can still get the plugs and whatever for the bach.

"thank you for your email! We still have the plugs for Bach Classic available. The 4 inserts on the bottom of the speaker are for the spikes, which would also still be available for purchase, if you would like to place Bach with its designated spikes.
    I put our dedicated distributor in North America in cc, Katherine from Bluebird Music will perfectly care for all spare part inquiries!

Bluebird Music Limited
    Buffalo, NY
    P: 416-638-8890

[email protected]
    for service/parts support please use:
    [email protected]
    www.bluebirdmusic.com

Best Greetings from Vienna,
    Piotr"

timind and MCM_Fan like this.
  3. Classic Car Guy

Bro I found a good small amp match for this speakers. I have an '81 Sony 55 wpc channel looks like the one in the picture. Probably not like mosfet amp like yours. but this amp is really nice class b. Unbelievable that this small speaker has that much bass in it. probably the strongest 6 inch "mid-woofer category" I ever heard. The combination of the tweeter and the woofer is just to die for. The sound is very similar to the jbl glory days. an absolute beauty. Thanks for inputting me into this speaker. I can cant wait to get the sand plugs and the foot. I think I'm gonna line up my backup mxr 15-band eq and my teac cassette.:-popcorn:

[​IMG]

jonwoody, james and timind like this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

Nice looking amp.

There were a few professional reviews of the speakers when they were in production. Bass was always noted as a strong point, especially for the size.

Curios what they want for the spikes. The spikes I listed above from PartsExpress will work just fine, very pointy though. I have some shorter, less pointy spikes I use since my speakers sit on MDF plinths.

Glad you're enjoying the speakers.

5. james

james Summon The Queen

I got the glider feet from Herbies Audio Lab. They’re a bit shorter than I’d prefer and seem wildly expensive for what they are, but they’re the only solution I could find for what I needed, so I guess that’s their value.

6. Classic Car Guy

whats a glider feet. do you have a picture?
    I been listening to these speakers since this morning. I'm a tube guy but these speakers sounds better on a solid state amp. Its just perfectly balanced.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  7. james

james Summon The Queen

check them out:
    Threaded Stud Glider

I can snap a photo tomorrow

8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

:bigeek: as someone commented on my picking up a Dynaco SCA-35 with new EL84Ms (in 1995) for $100 ... DAMN, SON !!!! That's a steal !!!

I was lusting after the Mozart Grand for a long time after reading Mozart Grand Loudspeaker ... I bet the Bachs have at least some of that magic.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    timind likes this.
  9. Classic Car Guy

Great. do you still have the thread size?

10. Classic Car Guy

[​IMG]

Vienna Acoustics BACH

To experience BACH's neatly substantial form is a thrill. With breathtaking
    realism, BACH reveals a window upon the music possessing great clarity. Yet
    this clarity is achieved with remarkable weight and body.
    Do not allow yourself to be misled by BACH's trim, architectural appearance.
    This speaker is capable of reaching down into the lower octaves with authority;
    convincingly reproducing the power and weight of largescale productions with
    ease. Still, its compact dimensions make this a very easy loudspeaker to
    integrate into your listening room, especially in this day of multiple channels,
    where five or more speakers may be called upon. Because the human ear is
    remarkably discerning about transient "blurring", a phenomenon engineers
    refer to as cumulative spectral decay, a great deal of research went into
    development of a unique driver capable of reproducing the main attack of
    music with great precision. We employ a special triple-coated woofer that
    results in nearly ideal stiffness combined with excellent self-damping
    properties. Alongside, we blend in a silk dome tweeter for sweetly extended
    highs that can be enjoyed for hours.
    Consider BACH for your main speakers, whether your passion is theater or
    music, with its magnetically shielded drivers, BACH provides a window upon
    the performance that must be experienced.

FEATURES:
    BACH features a triple coated paper cone driver, shielded by counter magnets
    and coupled to the cabinet with 8 screws. The production of the bass driver
    costs pretty much effort: It has a stiff paper cone, but its marvellous sound
    derives from our hand-coating. It is triple coated, which means, after the first
    coating and a one-day drying time, a second layer is attached, followed by one
    additional day drying time and finally finished with a third layer. This method
    guarantees excellent inner damping.

For tweeters, clearly, there is still only one choice: hand-coated silk domes
    from the Scandinavian school of design. Ferrofluid in the magnetic gap
    represents an important sound tuning feature: Not using it, or even using it in
    different viscosities, results in interaction with the cone. Perfectly developed,
    voices and instrument timbres are perfectly rendered.
    BACH features a hidden chamber on the bottomside for sand filling of about
    12kg. Accessible through the bass, the chamber may be sand filled for the final
    touch in system tuning by increasing mass and inserting thousands of energy
    absorbers - the movement of the grains of sand. Doing so results in enhanced
    smoothness and clarity, for the ultimate in refinement.

Machined metal spikes are included for decoupling and stability.

The Vienna Acoustics cabinets are designed using both, the latest computer
    analysis -Finite Element Analysis- techniques plus measurements to ensure
    that they are structurally inert, and extensive listening to verify the theories.
    All our cabinets are finished with the same outstanding veneer-wrapping
    technique and the same high grade quality in finish and workmanship is
    executed.

The crossover is mounted on the rear side of the terminal block, the massive
    6mm acrylic glass. At Vienna Acoustics, we have addressed the issue of
    transition resistance by designing proprietary terminal blocks that form a direct
    connection to the speaker terminals with no additional wiring. Our high quality,
    gold plated input terminals are designed to accept banana plugs, spade
    terminals or bare wire connection.
    All individual crossover components are of the highest quality, and chosen
    exclusively by listening tests. As a result our designs feature very expensive
    hand-picked capacitors, and metal-oxyd-film resistors with less than 1%
    tolerance are chosen for their freedom from inductance.

The pressure within the cabinet is inconceivably high. Besides the massive
    thickness of the tube, the only way solid enough is to screw the port tube to
    the cabinet. Furthermore, the exact length of the port determines the right and
    only frequency "fb" of the port-cabinet-driver system; this tuning is a matter of
    millimeters.

TECHNICAL DATA:
    Impedance 6 Ohms
    Frequency Response 38 - 20000 Hz
    Sensitivity 90 dB
    Recommended Amplifiers 30 - 200 Watts
    Drive Units
    7" Mid-Woofer Paper Cone, 3 x hand-coated
    1" Dome-Tweeter VA Silk Dome
    Bass System Bassreflex
    Bass Function QB 3 (Quasi Butterworth)
    Crossover Components
    MKP Capacitors Air Coils 0,7% tol.
    Metal Film Resistors 2% tol., inductance free
    Crossover Function 2-way 6/12 dB Bessel
    Weight per Pair 68 Ibs
    Dimension (W x H x D) inches 7,5 x 33,7 x 9,8"
    Dimension (W x H x D) mm 190 x 855 x 250 mm

timind likes this.
  11. Classic Car Guy

Ill call them again today and ill let you know.

It sounds very nice. I wont trade my rauna speakers for anything but I gotta give to the Bach when it comes to the highs. I have a 1/3 octave eq and I can balance the frequencies very well as long as the speakers can handle it. The back goes way up there with no frills. On my other system I have a satellite ribbon tweeters. Just for those 2 ribbons I paid close to $400.00 for the pair and the rest of the gizmos I need. I cannot compare the two which one is better and which one is not. but they are both up there and the bach sounds very modest. very classy tone. If @timind gave the guy $250.00 then, he stole that for sure.
    Look at the specs of the mid bass woofer cone its "triple coated paper" everyone has they're own preference, but Id go with paper cone anytime for it sounds natural.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Haha, and he even carried one of the speaker boxes down the basement stairs for me.

13. Classic Car Guy

Bach classic spike feet set (4 pcs) is $44.00 x 2 + 45.00 shipping.
    that's what she told me atleast going to my place in northwest.
    However if found this silver short stack. If the threading on this one is M6 x 1.0 , then Ill get it for it will screw directly to the adaptors.

I got the plugs. what sand will I use that's clean? cat litter?

[​IMG]

timind likes this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

Yikes, I figured those VA spikes would be expensive.

Mine speakers are filled with kitty litter, as I had a bag on hand.

15. Classic Car Guy

I guess its coming all the way from Germany.
    so sand all the way to the top should do it.
    Thanks,

16. james

james Summon The Queen

Herbie's Threaded Stud Glider × 8
    Regular / M10 / 25mm

Subtotal
    $138.80
    Shipping
    $4.60
    Total
    $143.40 USD

I don't love the way they attach. They feel smaller than the stock spike threads, so they're a little loose and come with a nut that threads flat against the speaker bottom. I wish they were another 10+ mm longer.

Right now I have them in my living room in the TV system where the family spends most of their time (1 year old and 4 year old kids), so I move them in for normal listening and out from the walls when doing actual listening. The spikes and hardwood floors made that annoying, so the gliders solved the problem for me (except that they now sit a little lower because of the shorter threads).

Regarding the sand in the bottom, just FYI/to add to thread data: The Bach Grands don't have the fillable chamber that the Bachs did. I'm not sure why they got rid of that feature. I never felt they were "tippy" until I had kids. So far so good.

jonwoody and timind like this.
  17. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I got to listen to the Beethoven speakers at a dealership maybe 20 years ago or so. I had heard that they present a softer treble than most speakers and I found that to be the case. The salesperson was busy with another customer. He put some music on for me until he was finished. For perhaps a half an hour I listened. I do remember thinking the Vienna Acoustics were not for me. I wonder if anyone else got the same impression.

Perhaps if the price were right on a used pair I would change my mind on how they sound.

timind likes this.
  18. james

james Summon The Queen

They definitely do have a laid back treble and also surprisingly strong bass. Sometimes I wish they had more top end sparkle, but long term, I find them easy to listen to and "pleasant". They're a good everyday speaker, IMO.

Other than the strong bass, they remind me of Sennheiser HD600's. Smooth on top and can be woken up a bit with a lot of power.

timind likes this.
  19. james

james Summon The Queen

I've ran the Bach Grands with a few different amps. My least favorite was actually the Line Magnetic 518ia. I just don't think it had enough power to light them up. The Yamaha AS-801 is a great match. It sounds very neutral.

I'd love to hear them with Naim, Exposure and maybe something like Pass.

Classic Car Guy and Rick58 like this.
  20. Classic Car Guy

You have the bigger bach. so did you get the small or the bigger gliders?

Yeah its like that. I can easily listen to it for a long period of time.

Might not enough juice. in regards to the original back, I don't wanna push it with the primaluna 42 watts tube power. but it sounds perfect on my sony solid state amp. well just call it 40 wpc. still a lot of power to drive it but I like it better.

21. james

james Summon The Queen

the smaller just because I thought they looked proportional to the speaker, but now that you mention it, I wonder if the bigger gliders are also longer/have more thread to get up into the speaker.

I forgot to take a picture. I’m away for a few days but I’ll post one here sun or Monday.

22. Classic Car Guy

I'm all good. I ordered the other spikes. We set it up on the living rook. My wife loves it. The bass is great!. Cant wait to fill it up with sand.

timind and james like this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

Years ago I replaced a pair of overly bright Paradigm Studio 60s with a pair of Meadowlark Audio Kestrels. Although the Kestrels were a joy to listen to in a small room, they had a mellow sound which made me wish for a little more detail. Over the years I used the Kestrels I tried several speakers which did give me the detail the Kestrels lacked. So I'd listen to the new (to me) speakers for a couple months reveling in the detail. At some point though, I'd bring the Kestrels out of the closet and hook them up. My reaction was always the same, aah, that's what music sounds like.

I had that reaction same reaction recently when I put the Bachs in my system after spending three months listening to a pair of Harbeth C7ES-3s. I've come to see it this way, with some speakers I find myself listening to the speakers, with the VA Bachs, I find myself listening to the music.

24. james

james Summon The Queen

We've had a similar trajectory. I had the Studio 60's, too...and seriously considered the Kestrels. I gave them a few listens, along with Totem Arros (which I also liked).

Pretty sure I told you already, but your photo made me pull my Bach Grands much further away than I've had them in 10 years. Incredible difference. It's made me stop thinking about speakers and made me think more about improving sources and amplification.

I wonder what a logical next step, speaker-wise, would be if one likes the Bach sound?

timind likes this.
  25. Classic Car Guy

good thing were talking about this. I wanna set my speakers to like permanent. I'm using a banana plug on the bach and its sticking out a bit. is this normal or do I need a banana plug with a shorter tip?