Vienna Acoustic Bach Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jek57, Jul 29, 2020.

1. timind

timind phorum rezident

When I swapped the lowly Bachs in for the vaunted Harbeths, the first thing I noticed was body in the music. The way the Bachs disappeared in comparison to the C7s wasn't subtle, they disappeared with the music seemingly coming from no where, and everywhere in the room.

I've been in this hobby for quite a few years now, and it wasn't until I moved into this room and was able to pull the speakers out away from boundaries that I experienced this. It makes me wonder how many people have truly heard this.

So what's the next step? For me it was first realizing I love this disappearing act which I've only experienced with two-way speakers, and believe me, I've tried a bunch of different speakers. Right now the Bachs are in the closet, and I'm getting what I love from a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M stand mount.

jonwoody and james like this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Those binding posts aren't very deep. I noticed the same thing, don't see it as a problem as long as the fit is tight.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I finally got my system setup on the living room. After the hard days work while listening to my rock and rolled' 300b tube amp, this setup delivers and silky smooth sound winding down sound. Don't be fooled by the mini tower speakers, this Vienna acoustic bach is perfectly matched to my amp and equalization setup. It can rock and roll too with a fashion. The weight and design of the speaker produces a perfectly balance bass output and hi's without any hiccups. One missing ingredient are custom stainless feet that I ordered then I can load the sand in the cabin. So far I am totally happy with this setup. In fact I might just leave it like that instead of using my EL34 tube amp.
    PS. No disrespect for the turntable. Everything works perfect and I just use it maybe 5 times a year. But obviously I'm more of a cassette deck guy.

[​IMG]

jonwoody likes this.
  4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Nice looking system I love that Teac tape deck! Can you pull the Bachs out from the wall a bit more at least past the rack?

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Looks nice. Lets make it easier for everyone to check it out.
    [​IMG]

jonwoody and okc_craft like this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

What model is the JVC turntable?
    I am in the process of getting a JVC JL-F30 up to spec for my grandson. It's a very nice looking table and once I finish with it will be worth the $50 it cost me to bring it back.

okc_craft likes this.
  7. Classic Car Guy

I don't know much about turntable but so far so good. I got it for a song and its in very nice shape.
    [​IMG]

Absolutely. As soon as I get the stainless platform and feet I'll do the final arrangement. This speaker is heavy for its size. I can imagine after installing all the machismos including the sand, itll be like welded to the ground. Right now the bass dynamics is already perfect!

timind, jonwoody and james like this.
  8. james

james Summon The Queen

Cheers!

I think I’ve read everything there is to read about that speaker of the past decade. One tip I found useful was that they respond well to being further apart than an equilateral triangle (relative to the listening position) with toe in. that has been useful to me in some rooms.

And only recently, based on a few posts here, I pulled them much farther away from the wall behind them than I’ve ever run them. Really amazing how the soundstage came much more into focus and gained a LOT of depth.

jonwoody, timind and Classic Car Guy like this.
  9. Classic Car Guy

..... This is what I learned along the way. I tried so many different kind of speakers besides scala category. Sealed, down-ported, front port, passive radiator, 4th-5th order.. I found myself attached more to the back ported tower speakers especially if the amp is close enough to purity, aggressive and a perfect match. I like using the speaker as my sub bass lines by getting close to the wall and especially in the corners where they travel a lot. This configuration dominates a lot of my previous setup 10 to 1 with just using not much power. Well I would have to say an 8 watts with a big sound and 7 to 8 inch speaker cabinet.

..... But in this case, the bach is smaller than my usual cabinets for me to do my torturing techniques so your 2 cents actually makes a lot of sense about being further away from the wall. I get the big picture. It does makes a big sound as long as the speaker is sitting close to 100% on the floor. I'll take that. Pretty much anything that I have on the rack is very good for my playback purpose. Maybe later on, I will have to find and much more refined integrated amp Like what you guys use. According to my calculation I should be okay with 35 watts solid state amp as long as its a mosfet. In my opinion this speaker sounds better in solid state. like a steady sound with an excellent medium size power. I could probably use tubes in it "maybe" a 16 watt EL84 ultra linear mode.
    But I'm not gonna go there. I'm good with solid state "in this" setup.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    timind and james like this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

Oops by the way. The Teac is a new-used one. A short story behind this. I had another Teac deck exactly like this one that I bought used in 1987 and been using it ever since. I bought a few backup along the way the exact model, gave and sold to several people. This deck model is probably one of the best in playback throughout the years of using it. There maybe some slightly better sounding deck but overall, those competitive decks are all gone and this is still around. I can easily call this teac as a 1985 Toyota Pickup SR-5 (not truck) with fuel injection system when it comes to reliability. I am so surprise to see that these decks are selling so cheap on the internet. Maybe the seller doesn't know what they're selling or maybe I don't know what I'm using. But it cant be me. If theres anyone that knows about this deck, I'm pretty much one of them. Lol.. But the timeline from '86 till today not seeing it making any errors, eating up the tape. When you press play or stop it goes not like other decks its either locks up the mechanism, or the whole tape deck moves out of place. so and so forth. That means a lot.
    I sold that deck 2 months ago to a promising kid that wants to know analog recording. I just recently bought 2-nakamichi BX-300 and I still have my sony 3 head deck too. I began to realize, these new decks maybe a Cadillac / Mercedes category when it comes to recording. But what about millions miles of playback? That's when I began to realize I have to buy another one. So there it is...
    Hopefully this new teac thread will help out people tat are looking for a good reliable cassette deck and not inspire internet selling actors in jacking up the price to a ridiculous $1,000.00 and because its "rare"..
    It would be a good help to a lot of people even those that are creative in learning the true basics of recording. I see a lot of tape deck users through out the years saying "this is the best" and after a year that deck is gone and replaced with another latest and the greatest.
    peace brother.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    jonwoody likes this.
  11. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is late reply but I found set of feet on Amazon for cheap they stick on and they work perfect

jonwoody likes this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

lets see the picture?
    the threading on mine is m6.

13. jek57

Ok how do you post a picture on here

14. jek57

Or go on Amazon look up speaker feet they are the gold ones for 23.00

15. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

You have to use a pic-hosting site I find Imgur works best and paste the url here with Imgur it's the BBC code you need to paste here.

16. Classic Car Guy

Rick58, timind and jonwoody like this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

I'm beginning to understand the construction and liking this speaker more and more as months gone by. This set is sitting on my 670 sqft. living room. after I loaded the sand and feet, position the speakers correctly, my 15 band eq adjustments for days, bass, treble, installing the right inter connects. They just sound so rich and perfect for my space and preference. Its really well balanced on low and high volume. when I listen to 18 feet away its not even loud. All I hear is the richness of the bass and I would like to point out that the sound of the high sparkles very classy and I appreciate it more using my old school 15 band eq which the system is set to produce to a modern-analog sound. That's when it really shines the hidden gem the most. When I push the defeat, I hardly even hear any difference with the rest of the frequencies besides shaping the mid bass and the 9 and up kHz on my present settings which that is the only thing I an after for. The one thing I love about this speaker is the output, the size of my room and my listening preference which if I dial it past 80 db, its not even loud in the front seat but when I go out in the porch or any part of the house, I can hear the bass and the tweeter rich and live. A very classy tone that I can listen to all day long and wanting more the next day and so. My wife which is not even in hifi buff commented that the our system in the living room is just perfect! That could be a plus.

[​IMG]

jek57, james and timind like this.
  18. jek57

For the size of them they are amazing speakers .I had mine toed in at first then put the straight out made a big difference in the sound stage I thought about getting a subwoofer but the more I listen to them they don't really need one the sand make makes a big difference as well

timind likes this.
  19. Classic Car Guy

That's what I notice too. From the beginning, I notice that the highs were a bit not shining. after I dialed everything and put the sand, the difference was more than double. This is truly a wonderful sounding speaker. The highs are very silky-shiny presence.

timind likes this.
  20. Classic Car Guy

With the sand filled all the way, when you dial the volume up, the bass travels further and more dimensional.
    It wasn't performing as nice when it was empty.
    I cant wait to install my new toy tomorrow morning. Pioneer 6 load multi cassette deck. Got it the other day in the box.
    Ill air clean it, lube the transport and clean the heads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonwoody and timind like this.
  21. zboski

zboski Forum Resident

I bought 6mm and it’s not the right size. What is the right size for the spikes?

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

Great looking setup :edthumbs:

MCM_Fan likes this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

I use the bottom half of these spikes with my Bachs (original version). They say thread is M6.
    Home

24. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

I bought a pair of Kestrel Hot Rods in 1999. Still have them after all these years. They were my only pair of speakers for 17 years. Never once thought of upgrading until I discovered audiophile internet forums and caught some sort of upgrade disease :)

Moved on to some Sonus Faber towers, and now the Magnepan LRS. The Sonus Faber Chameleon T's were sold, but the Kestrels are still smiling at me in the closet. Your posts about your fondness for the Kestrel Hot Rods has inspired me to bring them out.

They are the bi-wired version, while the LRS are not. I use Duelund cables throughout my entire system, including non bi-wired speaker cables. I wonder if a Cardas jumper would work on the Kestrels? Or if it's best to pull out the original DH Labs T-14 bi-wired speaker cables that match the internal wiring of the Kestrels?

timind and Helom like this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like the beige grills.

MCM_Fan likes this.