Viet Cong self titled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by buzzinfly, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzzinfly

buzzinfly Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was anyone else blown away by this album?

I remember listening to it during a wild Massachusett's snowstorm/winter.

I can't accept that they could end up being a forgotten band of the 2010's.

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I do like it though I actually like Cassette, Preoccupations, and New Material more, so it is my least favorite of their albums. But they are one of my favorite bands.

buzzinfly likes this.
  3. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Love them. They're (Viet Cong / Preoccupations) excellent, and incredible live, too. I see them every time they come through Southern California, stretching back to the days of Women.
    Also a big fan of Patrick Flegel's "Cindy Lee" project. Very different from Viet Cong/Preoccupations, but challenging and fantastic.

polchik and buzzinfly like this.
  4. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Also a big fan here. Saw them in a small venue on the tour for that album and it was ear bleedingly loud, but brilliant! Love everything they've done including Women and preoccupations

buzzinfly likes this.
  5. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Good album. Big fan. I also love Women, their self titled album from the early 2000s is a classic. Preoccupations are also a solid band, both related to the great VC.

buzzinfly likes this.
  6. buzzinfly

Tried Cindy Lee recently and it was spooky hahah. I got to see them live once and couldn't believe how much energy the drummer had.

Em. likes this.
  7. buzzinfly

Same! Saw 'em in Boston, seemed especially loud because the opener wasn't nearly as heavy.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm getting a 60's vibe here. ; )

9. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Oh, Mike Wallace is a total monster. Really inventive player, and fun to watch, too.

buzzinfly likes this.
  10. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Love this band. Saw Women a couple of times and have seen Viet Cong/Preoccupations a few times. Not loving Cindy Lee so much.

buzzinfly and Mother like this.
  11. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

If you haven't already checked-out his new album, "What's Tonight To Eternity", it might be worth your time. It's different than what came before it.
    Also, "Model Express", from 2018, might be the most Women-like release that any of them have done since "Public Strain".

I can understand why the first few Cindy Lee releases might not have appealed as much, though.

buzzinfly likes this.
  12. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Not an easy record to track down. Definitely less wispy than the previous two releases.

13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I just got this based on Amazon recommending it to me based on other stuff I've gotten, and I was looking at Sonic Youth at the time. It's near the top of my "to listen to" pile!

buzzinfly likes this.
  14. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

my favourite VC song is 'oxygen feed' (i have 'cassette' on vinyl) ..... i think i read somewhere on the net that it was a song that most harkened back to 'women' ...... i really love the unconventional yet beautiful double guitar playing, and soaring melodies, which is what i really loved on 'oxygen feed'

i just spent the entire morning listening to WOMEN ... wtF?!? how did i miss this band when they were alive smh. good news is there is a vinyl reissue of 'public strain' out RIGHT NOW !

just an aside here lol

15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

cindy lee.

wow.

hauntingly beautiful stuff here for sure. listened to 'model express' and at first i was like .... wtf lol .... but i'm SO glad i stuck with it all ! now i'm just randomly checking other pieces out on YT ....

wasn't expecting my easter sunday to be so much fun last night lol

Em. likes this.
  16. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

You might want to check out Bloodslide---the new project from Mike Wallace (Women/Viet Cong/Preoccupations), Greg Ahee (Protomartyr) and AJ Lambert (Frank Sinatra's granddaughter).

Em., polchik and Frank Field like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.