Vince Guaraldi - Charlie Brown Xmas Deluxe 4cd + Bluray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cincyjim, Aug 11, 2022.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Well if it's only available on streaming right now, how else do you expect me to listen to it? Ridiculous question

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Rediculous? I can listen to youtube on my phone, my computer, or my home stereo by calling up youtube on a smart-tv. I didn't think it was that silly...

ARK, izgoblin, Mesozoic Mike and 2 others like this.
  3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Those all use a computer, and Youtube is lossy Opus format, so how is that any better than using a computer with lossless streaming through a good DAC?

4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I just asked what you were listening on. My stereo speakers and phone are not the same.

It’s not the end of the world. I promise.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    boggs likes this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I understand, but your snarky question implying a "real stereo" system is the only way to judge quality was not warranted. Quality matters, and lossless streaming is good enough to make a judgment call on digital audio quality, particularly on a good headphone chain

6. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

The outtakes are great, but I want the songs to sound as they always have with not one note changed.

It's fun to hear how the song got there, but ultimately the album should be unchanged.

(Though those are outtakes for a reason - they were judged inferior to what appeared on the album.)

I don't see why it's not a big deal when the mix changes.

A great example is the Elton John Diamonds album - the mixes of several of the songs is dramatically different, and I chose not to avoid it because those aren't the songs I've listened to for decades. ("Philadelphia Freedom" is especially obnoxious.)

Same here.

Also, mix differences can be judged on virtually any device - phone, computer or actual stereo.

ChunkDaMan likes this.
  7. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

I listened with my laptop. I did an A/B comparison with the 1997 Starbucks release, which is in my YouTube Music library. I figured it was a fair comparison since both streamed from YouTube.

jfeldt likes this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I struggle to see the problem here. It's a remix. If I want to listen to the way it has always sounded, I've got a gazillion other options to do that. If I want to hear the new mix, now I'll have an option to do that.

It's not like one is replacing the other.

And for those who made their decision, fair enough. Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything.

9. ChunkDaMan

ChunkDaMan America's Favorite CD Junkie

It's gonna be tough beating the 1988 George Horn mastering... I'll debate on pre-ordering the set when they release the 2022 remix of 'Christmas is Coming'. The right amount balance of all instruments on the 1988 cut of that track is amazing. 2012 master has the bass too loud, 2006 is okay, a little loud but not too bad, just a remixed stereo version.

Edit: I know this is nitpicking but why would there have to be a new stereo mix if the original album was already made in stereo to begin with? For sure that is a question for someone in 2006 to answer, though unless there's something not definitive we're getting out of the original album, maybe I will reconsider. I mean they could just remaster the original stereo mixes and slap that on the new release. So far to my ears, the 2022 remix of 'Christmas Time Is Here" doesn't sound bad, just thinking a new stereo mix is unnecessary (are we aiming for clarity of the instruments??). Unless the audio and mixing beats the George Horn master, I'll reconsider!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  10. Last I checked the original stereo mix is included in the deluxe set.

11. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Yes, on CD 1

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm puzzled as to why you pre-ordered and then cancelled, though. Were you expecting the remix to sound exactly like the original mix? That would be impossible. It appears they've tried to follow the instrumental placement of the original mix pretty closely (unlike the awful 2006 remix) but it would be impossible to replicate the sound/feel of the original mix exactly. What were you expecting here?

And as has been noted, the 4-CD set features both the remix and a remaster of the original mix anyway.

Dreaddazzman and Shawn like this.
  13. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

When I first read this thread, I thought for sure I would purchase some configuration of the new release. I mean, it wouldn't be Christmas without A Charlie Brown Christmas, and now there's even MORE of it! But, after thinking further about it, I'm not sure I'll be purchasing it, unless it's the Deluxe Edition (Single CD). The released versions of the songs are just fine with me. I don't really feel the need for another remixed or remastered edition. I figured I would end up listening to the alternate versions only a couple of times, filing them away, and just sticking with the original, released versions. Now, I would like to hear "Jingle Bells", and if it's good, I'll purchase that.

ChunkDaMan likes this.
  14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

When it comes to remixing, I thought the point was not to sound identical to what has come before. Otherwise why remix at all?

Charlie Z., JasonA and Shawn like this.
  15. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

It depends on the intent. Yes, most of the time new remixes are done to purposely get a different sound. However, with this being only 3 individual tracks to mix, it probably can't vary too much from the original. But the intent of this new mix may be just to improve on the original mix by using modern equipment. New equipment can produce cleaner sound with higher fidelity than what was used back in the 60s. Recordings made back then may have had choices made to suit the media at the time, by limiting certain frequencies to suit vinyl played on 1960s record players or whatever. A modern mix could potentially remove those kinds of limitations. This might result in a mix very similar to the original, but "better" in terms of overall fidelity, instrument separation, etc.

16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I also think the engineers have control over the type and amount of reverb applied to either each track or the whole mix when remixing. This can also give the album a different sound/vibe.

lucan_g and JasonA like this.
  17. Those types of compromises like limiting frequencies due to the medium/delivery method (LP for example) are made in the mastering stage. But don’t get me wrong, I like what I hear in the samples they’ve provided and greatly look forward to hearing the remix.

EricSwan, Mesozoic Mike and JasonA like this.
  18. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

I just want the Blu-ray Audio but I guess that isn’t going to happen.

Rupe33 likes this.
  19. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Hey, listen. I'm as much of a purist when it comes to remixes as the next guy.
    But to be completely honest, the original stereo mix of this album isn't very good.
    A simple modern remix from the original multitrack tapes is a welcome thing in my opinion.

And think of it like this: If sales of this and the new Great Pumpkin soundtrack are good enough, maybe we'll see more in the future.

20. StunnedAndRotund

StunnedAndRotund Forum Resident

Jerry Granelli.

He lived here in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He and his trio (along with a local school choir) would perform the soundtrack every year. I saw it just before the pandemic - Christmas 2019. Great show and big childhood feels.

Rupe33, snkcube, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  21. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I had no idea this was coming. At least it might finally get all the extras in one place plus tons more. Currently I still have the original CD and the 200g reissue of the 45rpm cut I stupidly missed out on. I grew up with the older release's sound so it's burned in my brain but the 200g in spite of not being 45rpm is revelatory.

Let's hope they don't hit the CDs with loudness. And once again here's a $100 box with stupid page slot disc holders...grrr...

JasonA, Planbee and Shawn like this.
  22. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

This.

Christopher B, captainsolo and JasonA like this.
  23. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

24. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Here’s a previously unreleased track, “Skating (#7, Take 1)”

g.z., DougB217, ncwalz and 9 others like this.
  25. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Superb take!

I'm really looking forward to hearing the complete set and reading the liner notes.