Vincent SA-T7 preamp - initial impressions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dougotte, Jul 7, 2019.

1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante Thread Starter

I’ve been using the SA-T7 for less than 2 weeks, probably less than 30 hours. I’ve sampled favorite LPs, CDs, SA-CDs, and a few FLAC downloads. Here’s the short summary, followed by (if you’re still awake) a bit of history and some details.

Good
    Sound - great micro-detail; instrumental timbres are enriched; transients are enhanced; soundstage is trying to push through the ceiling (not much space in my room to be wider).
    UI - Very easy to swap w/ my previous preamp; 12v trigger easily controls my amp; orange tube highlight on the front panel is pleasing and easy to control - I moved it down to the lowest setting as the higher settings were a bit too bright.
    Rec Out - Despite the manual stating that the Rec Out is muted when the Mute is engaged, and confirmed by an email response from Vincent, the Mute button only affects output to the amp. This was good news to me, because it’s easier when using headphones to hit the Mute button instead of reducing the volume to zero.

Not-so-good (very minor issues)
    Sound - After powering up and warming up for only about a minute, I hear a single faint pop in the left channel. I’ll ask Vincent. It’s definitely not loud enough to harm the speakers.
    Remote - Volume control via the remote is too sensitive. It’s nearly impossible to raise or lower the volume in very small increments. Also, power can’t be controlled via the remote.
    Front display - labels are impossible to read.
    No USB port - I used to have my desktop connected to the P5, but very rarely used it. So far, I haven’t missed it w/ the SA-T7.

History
    I’ve been thinking about trying a tube preamp for quite a while. I’ve been using Parasound products (P3 followed by P5) for years. I recently replaced my A23 w/ an A23+. They’re great products, but not perfect. I had a problem w/ the P3 volume pot going bad, and the P5 is an improvement. Occasionally, it goes dead, but only during the winter and only for 20 minutes. Then, it gets “better.”

I’d been looking at PrimaLuna, then Rogue. Recently, Audio Advisor had a demo SA-T7 marked at $1991 (compared to $2750 new). I found ver little info about Vincent online - only a few reviews and customer testimonials. After a few days, I talked myself into it. I figured any upgrade would be a gamble until I tried it. And, it was a great price.

The box had been opened, but otherwise everything inside looked brand new. I’ve bought many times from AA in the past, including one or two demos. They’re always reliable.

One AA customer testimonial mentioned enhanced bass. This worried me a bit, because I had a problem taming overwhelming bass from my speakers in my room. However, I find the SA-T7’s finer micro-detail and transients make the entire frequency range (not just bass) richer. The customer probably interpreted it as “more” bass.

Classic Car Guy and Grohlfan like this.
  2. AJSki2fly

AJSki2fly Active Member

I borrowed a Vincent amp from a friend for several weeks and they are extremely well made and perform very well sonically. Enjoy

3. dougotte

The SA-T7 is breaking in well. I can't say whether tubes are better than SS; this preamp definitely sounds better than the P5, but of course its list price is nearly twice as high.

It's true that tubes need some warm up. For the first 20 minutes or so, bass is a bit bloated and forward.

My one remaining nitpick is the remote (see my initial post). But, I think of it this way: getting up occasionally to make fine volume adjustments is a good thing, right? We don't want a numb tuchus, do we?

Razakoz and hi_watt like this.
  4. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Don't worry about the remote. I've had several (and still have an amp and preamp in closet) Vincent components and all the remotes where like that. I'm glad you're doing a review on that preamp. Ive the predecessor the SA-T1 which is close to 15 years old and thought about upgrading to the the SA-T7. And , don't know about the T7 but every Vincent I've had came with cheap tubes. After switching to much better tubes the sound quality of the Vincent took off. Please keep me posted on the performance....thanks.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  5. dougotte

Thanks for suggesting a tube upgrade. I have thought about it, but will wait a while. I guess it's not too hard to remove the cover and do it myself? I know we have different models, but do you have a recommendation for upgrading the tubes? Thanks.

6. Slippers-on

It's best to get to know the amp before removing the cheap tubes. I had a mixture of tubes that gave me a sound that I liked in my preamp and amp. I used a mixture of NOS Valvo, Tungsram, Ten KOBE, MAZDA, Telefunkin, BugleBoy, Russian tubes and Modern Gold Lion. You may have to do some tube rolling to get the flavor you like. That's part of the fun of this hobby :winkgrin:

dougotte likes this.
  7. dougotte

I'm now realizing that this unit provides greater dynamic range. I wonder if that's a characteristic of tubes, or just better gear overall?

8. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

That's definitely a characteristic of better gear, not just tubes.

Gso-Rob and dougotte like this.
  9. dougotte

OK, it's late Winter (more like Fall weather here) and I'm bored. I want to try some better tubes. But, I'm ignorant. Here are the tubes in this machine per Vincent:
    Tubes: 2 x 6SCH9P ; 2 x 6SCH51P, 4 x 6S3P-EV; 1 x 85A2

85A2 is no problem, but what are these other tube models? I can't find any reference for them anywhere. Thanks.

Edit: They seem to be Russian tubes, but I can't find any cross-reference to find better alternatives.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  10. dougotte

The manual lists different tubes than the website:
    4 x CV6189; 4 x 6S3P-EV; 1 x 85A2

So, I guess 6SCH9P and 6SCH51P are equivalent to CV6189, but I still don't know what 6S3P-EV is. Thanks.

11. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I have an SV 237MK and have the same complaint about the remote. I also don't like turning the volume knob because the stop position changes. I don't know how to really explain it but your preamp volume control most likely is the same. I make volume adjustments via my Schiit Valhalla 2 as I use it as a preamp into the Vincent for my digital sources.

dougotte likes this.
  12. Slippers-on

If you're looking for a 6s3p-ev.....its Russian and the same as a Russian tube EC86. It's the same as the 6cM4.....look here for NOS. 6cm4 | eBay

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  13. Slippers-on

The CV6189 you can find some good NOS here as well. cv6189 tube | eBay

Also that tube is the same as the 6688 tube and NOS can be found on e bay as well.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  14. dougotte

Thanks!

15. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I have the Vincent SV700, which is the integrated version and I had the same problem with the volume control. I also adjust volume directly on my CD player, which also has a remote volume control.

For analog sources or digital sources without remote volume control you can reduce the gain. If this is not possible you can use attenuators (typically -10 to -20db).
    If you set your gain lower and normal listening volume control setting becomes therefor higher, than volume increments on the T7 remote will become lower.

I listened originally at a volume setting of around 9 o’clock, but when I went to 11-12 o’clock and I found the increments now doable. The advantage of listening at say 11-12 o’clock is that dynamics should become better as well.

P.S. I love my this hybrid amp.

16. Slippers-on

Can you tell us more about that amp? It's a huge amp. What did you use before...have you changed the tubes? What are the sound qualities? And have you compared it to other amps/brands?

17. LakeMountain

Yes, yes. Solid state pre/power amps....no, musicality combined with directness, yes.

Here the longer answer for those interested:

The amp is 24 kg and 43 by 43 by 19 cm, so it still fits in regular sized racks.

I have owned solid state pre/power amps (T+A, Myriad) for long time. On my retirement in 2018 I wanted to go for a tube amp. Went to my local, trusted dealer and he gave me 3 models (Jadis Orchestra Reference, Audionote Oto SE, Vincent SV700) to test, each costing 3500€.

First of all I must say that all 3 are wonderful amplifiers and all were better than my previous amps. This is why I took the Vincent:

1) Whilst all 3 were extremely musical with lovely mids, the SV700 just had a grain more directness, possibly because of its hybrid nature.

2) The Vincent is by far the most practical amp of the 3. It is clever that you can switch off the pure Class A mode, which means I can run the amp for example on background radio for the family all day without excessive heat and power consumption. You can switch a speaker pair off- I run 4 speakers on it, 2 covering the living room and 2 the kitchen dining area. It also had a remote volume control, which would have cost extra for the others.

3) it does have 2 digital inputs (coax and optical), the others did not. My CD player sounds really noticeably better now that I am connecting via the optical!

In summary what I like about it is that it is hybrid (sound ), integrated (no interconnect, space) and practical options. Currently the Vincent SV700 is still considered top in this price range. However, a choice of amp is always dependent on individual preferences and requirements.

As for changing tubes, I noted your suggestions already and I have reserved this for the future. I was working on other non-amp related improvements so far, as the sound of the amp did not immediately strike me of needing upgrading. So, who knows perhaps a pleasant surprise coming up?

Icethorn and labreahouse like this.
  18. Slippers-on

Interesting you went head to head with Jadis and Audionote! Those are considered excellent audio companies that get more recognition than Vincent in the States. Thanks for your kind reply.

19. LakeMountain

It is certainly in the same league. However I forgot to mention that my speakers with 88dB are perhaps not the ideal match for the tube amps, especially the Audionote with 2 x 10W (Jadis 2x 45W). On the other hand the Vincent is less picky about speakers.

And the Vincent SA -T7 with the SP-T700 mono’s is even better (and it has tone controls).

Slippers-on likes this.
  20. Slippers-on

I have the one before the SA-T7, the SA-T1. Its a great pre amp but I sure the T7 is miles ahead of it.

21. Jazzfan58

Jazzfan58 Forum Resident

Hey guys! Just discovered this thread. I got the T7 preamp two months ago, gotta say it’s a very competent device. Completely destroyed my CJ pv15, which is my backup pre. Also The Vincent reacts to different tubes differently.

The version with the “SCH”(designation for Germany), tubes is the latest one, even though it has the old manual. Previously they used Mullard cv6189 tubes along with Russian 6s3p-ev tubes, and now they still are using the same 4 x 6s3p-ev tubes with 2 x 6j9p and 2 x 6j51p Russian tubes (6ж9п, 6ж51п is the Russian designation). So, for the 6j9p = e180f, and 6j51p = 6EJ7 and ef184. Those are exact substitutes. At least I tried them. The 6s3p-ev tube replacement already been mentioned.

22. LakeMountain

Congrats on buying the T7! It must be great, since the SV700 is already a fantastic amp. The SV700 came with Chinese tubes. I replaced them now with NOS Siemens tubes. Sound is now even more natural and firm!

Snargfarg likes this.
  23. BFW

BFW Active Member

I found your Sa t7 "breaking in" thread out on Google. I was searching for any info on this pre amp, before buying one, which i did about three weeks ago. I too found the remote volume frustrating; result of bad impedance matching with my Quad 909 Power amp. I'm not a technical person but it was obvious that there was too much signal going into the power amp. The volume control never got above "8" on the clock and it was impossible to make fine adjustments. I listen to a lot of orchestral classical music and swings in dynamics were impossible to control. eg almost inaudible when a single instrument was playing, to being blasted out of the room on large climaxes. Also, the sound at low volumes was "furry" and then "shouty" during louder passages. This resulted in a serious episode of buyer remorse :) The answer was to insert a pair of Rothwell 10db attenuators into the power amp inputs and all has been well ever since. The volume is now "spread out " between 6 ( off) and up to 2 past midnight. Fine volume adjustments are easy now on the remote. On top of this, the sound is well and truely sorted and I am for the most part very happy. I say most part, because sometimes i do find the bass a little bloated and high massed strings can sound a bit "tizzy". Also there's an increased sibilance on some vocals. But i can live with that. Iwould be interested to hear of your experience with this Pre Amp. And if you are still having vol control issues , maybe the attenuators are the answer . But do a bit of research first . All the best. Disclaimer. I have no connection with Rothwell. These were recommended by Stereonet Australia forum members.

Swann36 likes this.
  24. dougotte

Hiya, and thanks for contributing. I hope you'll stick around. These forums are a great resource with a lot of kind people.

I appreciate the info about the attenuators. I might try that. I've gotten used to the issue, and usually use the volume control on the preamp itself. But, that's sometimes a hassle, and even then it can be hard to control fine adjustments.

I have problems with bass bloating due to my speakers and room, which were there even with previous equipment. I haven't noticed it being any worse with the SA-T7.

25. dougotte

I just noticed you also suggested attenuators. Thanks for the info.