Vincent SV-237MK Integrated Amp Problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got a small improvement when swapping out the 12AX7 to the Electro-Harmonix but no change in overall sound in replacing the 6N1p-EV's as there is only one source for these that I know of and that is the Russian ones which came with it stock. I had to replace these twice now due to one of them getting noisy after about 1000 hours. I hope this is not the case going forward.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

I replaced my 6NIP-EV with Harma STR and got an improvement in sound......also have been recommended the tube amp Doctor version for around the same price, however l do wonder if they are the same valves just rebranded.

3. Andy Saunders

Any one?:)

4. AlanR

AlanR Member

Andy, where'd you get the Harma's from. I was happy with the NOS gold on gold 6nip's I had, however I just upgraded my speakers to Focal Electra 1028be and I can hear some hiss. Thinking of replacing with Harmas.

5. Andy Saunders

Hi Alan l got mine from Watford Valves in England, what are the NOS Golds of which you speak may l ask?:)

6. AlanR

AlanR Member

Voskhod 6n1p-EV OS gold pins, gold grid.

7. Andy Saunders

Got a link Alan can only find ECC88.:confused:

8. rockin_since_58

Was listening to some tunes last night and the left channel developed a loud rushing/scratchy noise again. This is the third time this problem has occurred since I purchased the amp in August of 2018. I put in another pair of 6N1P-EV's and problem solved. I should not have to replace tubes every couple of months. I have been buying them from eBay via dealers in Russia which they say are NOS. Took a look on Amazon and they have what claim to be factory new from Sovtek directly so I ordered a pair for the next time the problem occurs. I am getting frustrated with this but really like the sound of the amp.

9. Andy Saunders

Mmmm…. may be wrong that sounds like bad tubes?

Had no problems with the Harma STR...…..touch wood.

Hope you get it sorted.

10. rockin_since_58

Most likely just getting bad tubes. They should last more than a few months. The amp sounds a lot better with the current tubes I installed this morning. I have seen that 6BQ7A's are a substitute for the 6N1P's, may have to give that a try also.

11. Andy Saunders

Valves scare me having just added a NOS to the window position of my Vinny.:righton:

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  12. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Some amps tend to be hard on tubes. Yours may be one of those. The Russian tube designs are considered by some to be "sturdier" than some hailing from other countries so are good in those applications. So with that in mind, the Russian Gold Lion tubes are really nice. They sound good and are probably the quietest tube I've ever NOT heard in a tube based system.

I'm pretty on the fence about that whole NOS tube thing. I guess you can get some amazing sounding tubes after spending a big wad of cash, but who knows...

13. rockin_since_58

I don't think the 6N1P-EV is available from Gold Lion. Not many options for this tube.

14. Andy Saunders

This is true.... If anybody knows a better brand of 6N1P-EV please tell.:D

@Spin Doctor the difference between the single Mullard NOS against the Gold Lion it replaced is not subtle, plus l paid a very nice price for it.

15. AlanR

AlanR Member

I wouldn't bother with the 6BQ7A's. I tried numerous brands even military grade sylvania's and none were better than the original 6n1p-ev. I liked the gold pin/gold grid vokshods but noticed little to no sonic improvement from the originals. You can contact Vincent and order new 6n1p-ev's from them, may take a while to get to you though. I'd recommend you check your power as well, maybe add a small power conditioner and be careful of static electricity in the winter.

16. rockin_since_58

Thank you for your response. I will forget about the 6BQ7A's. I have a pair of new 6N1P-EV's on order from Amazon. The current pair in the amp which I got from Russia via eBay are sounding good. Just hope they last longer than a few months.

17. moops

moops Senior Member

I have a brand spanking new SV-237MK (silver) sitting in a box in my listening room waiting for my 50th birthday to arrive in June. Promised the fam that I wouldn't connect it up until then ...... yes it's killing me. I did connect it up for one night the day I got it and I loved it. I grabbed it early as I found a local dealer with a good price and I could just drive over and collect it.

Fantastic build quality. I'm just going to run the stock tubes in it for now. I'm not going to mess about with it.

Not sure if it's been posted, but here's an interview Frank Blohbaum who designed the amp. He talks about the selection of specific valves, how they're implemented and the reasoning behind it.

If the link doesn't take you straight there, it's page on 5 of the article.

Vincent SV-237: page five - i-fidelity.net

18. rockin_since_58

You will be in for an audio treat once you finally settle in with it. I really like mine and just wish that it would not require new tubes every few months. Like I mentioned in a previous post, just hoping a got a hold of some bad tubes.

19. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Sounds more like that brand of tubes are bad?

20. moops

moops Senior Member

Weird ..... Everything I read regarding this amp, from reviews to other owner's comments on other audio forums didn't mention problems regarding the life of the tubes. And this quote from the interview linked above makes it even more of a puzzle ......

"All valves are run far below their limit values and on a regulated operating voltage, so that a very long life of typically more than 20,000 hours may be expected – most SV 237 owners will never need to change the valves."

21. Slippers-on

Its not unusual that a bad batch of that tube has been released to the market....its happened before. And that tube is not in demand so may be plenty of them still for sell.
    You do know you can use the ECC88, 6DJ8 and 6922. They don't pull as much heat but will work....and you can find them in some great brands like Gold Lion, Mullard and others.
    6DJ8 Tubes From Brent Jessee Recording

"E88CC / 6922 Siemens, 1970s West Germany made, gold pins.MATCHED PAIRS

New Old Stock white Box. Fabulous original German made Siemens E88CC tubes. Ultra low noise, matched triode sections, heavily plated gold pins. Carefully matched to within 2 percent. This is basically the "civilian" version of the rare Cca tube. Some are RCA labeled. These have been rated by audiophiles as good if not better than the famous Telefunken 6922, and rivalling the famed Amperex 7308 white label tubes!

$199.00 per pair

in stock"

6N1P-EV = E88CC = 6DJ8 = 6922 tube. Double triode ― Hi-End vacuum tubes, sockets, capacitors, nixie. Retail and wholesale to worldwide.
    "
    Description
    All tubes new. Tube have gold grid.

Each tube contains 1.408 mg of gold.

6N1P-EV is a long life miniature 9-pin medium gain dual triode vacuum tube used as a line audio amplifier and cathode driver.

Except for higher heater current, it's a direct plug-in replacement for the 6DJ8, ECC88 and 6922.

6N1P-EV feature very low distortion, medium transconductance, higher plate voltage and dissipation rating than 6DJ8. Internally shielded between sections, 6N1P-EV can be perfectly used at differing signal levels. A larger cathode than 6DJ8 types gives 6N1P-EV longer life and more transient current capability.

Manufacturers: Voshod, Kaluga, Russia

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  22. rockin_since_58

23. Slippers-on

Well if the Sovtek dont blow, the Voskhod are bad....if the Sovtek blows, you may have a bad socket. You are the only person having the issue that I know of.

24. rockin_since_58

Happened twice in the right channel and once in the left channel. If it happens again, I will suspect a problem with the voltage supplied to the tubes.

25. Andy Saunders

@moops Congrats on your purchase- it is a great amp ,it will take running in ( there is a lot of metal in there!) l received mine last August and it got better for a good while after, listening to music on this amp is a joy.

If you are so inclined a little further down the line change the tubes- it can take the amp into giant killing territory!:goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.