Vintage Media Grading (VMG) -- Vinyl records. Is this a step too far?!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BornToBoogie, May 25, 2023.

1. Intellectual

Intellectual Forum Resident

That's what I wanted to say.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  2. Intellectual

Intellectual Forum Resident

Just don't buy on discogs from french. Those people in France don't know what is Near Mint record. For them, vg+ or vg is Near Mint. I had few situations from different sellers from France, I said never again will buy from them. Belgium is here and there too. With americans, english, germans I never had these problems.

Zongadude likes this.
  3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

You are clearly the luckiest man who has ever lived.

Farmer Mike and amcaudio like this.
  4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

They'd make nice wall hangings.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hermetically sealed grading on coins, sports cards, comic books, etc. is a big business. Looks like someone wanted to get in on the action and widen the market. Personally I hope this tanks, hard. I also can't wait for the current vinyl trend to have a nice big bubble pop.

6. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

These grading companies can be such scams - like, in order to get their name out there, they sell one of their graded items for millions, for something that's actually worth a fraction of that, but they sell it among themselves - and the news of this ridiculous sale gets out there, and they start getting business out of that.
    Same thing happened with a copy of Mario 64 selling for a hundred thousand or so (no way it's worth anything near that), but it was scam sale, where the guys in the grading company sold it to themselves, but it made the news and they hit the ground running. Total scam, and that's to say nothing about how for vinyl the reason a certain pressing is worth money is mostly because it sounds good - sealing it up, you totally lose that most important aspect of it.

ARK, Zongadude, zphage and 1 other person like this.
  7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Let have our own party where we go to there business and burn it to the ground while taking turns playing tunes.
    I found this practice disgusting when they did this to comics and absolutely blasphemous if done to a record.
    We are so in the end times.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

When 'mint' for them means the record still may have some flaws, does there exist something higher than 'mint'? Hypermint or something?

High Rant District and Big Blue like this.
  9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, mint should *only* be still in original wrapping and pristine underneath, like no bends, scuffs, etc, not even on the shrink-wrap.
    (though some cheaters may re-shrink-wrap an item making it seem unopened when it's not)

10. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yeah. It "works" if one (or two) companies are able to dominate the entire market and gain enough of the public trust by providing consistent, competent performance of the grading. These guys look like they've got a very long way to go, in that regard. Also, it would have limited value to many people who own vinyl, since it's for people who aren't playing it (or if you do play it, then the grade becomes worthless). For example, although I haven't paid any attention to sports trading cards in decades, I do know how this whole thing works, and one of the benefits of buying a card that's been professionally graded is that you get to carry the grade with you, so to speak. For this though, you can't if you buy it to play. So IMO even a good company doing this is providing only 50% of the value that other such services provide for other collectibles, which IMO would greatly impact the ability of any company to gain much of a traction in this market.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yuck

12. I am sending them Billy Joel's whole discography.

13. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Those sound better hermetically sealed.

Big Blue and zphage like this.
  14. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

So now the folks buying $10,000 guitars without knowing how to play them are getting into the vinyl collecting game without intending to listen to the music?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

At first I thought this was just a cleaning and grading service (which I guess I could see paying for, if I didn’t want to clean records myself and maybe wanted to have them graded, for some reason?). But now that I understand it’s for the purpose of locking the record up in plastic to never be played, I don’t see myself ever having any interest in this type of thing. Not only do I, personally, own all of my records for the purpose of hearing the music on them, I also don’t agree that the records, themselves, are works of visual art. Any time I see people use records (the actual vinyl record, not the album cover, many of which are displayable as art, of course) as decoration, I kind of roll my eyes, to be honest. Just kind of kitschy and tacky, right?

troggy likes this.
  16. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

This is brilliant. I can't believe CGC didn't leap on this once the comics market imploded. Perfect brand extension.
    Wonder how much my old copy of "Sesame Street Fever" is worth. It's got a scratch in the middle of "Rubber Ducky"

ARK and Big Blue like this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

and why is that? are you unhappy that people who want to buy new music records are once again able to?

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I'm sure some credible vinyl grading service will happen eventually, but as the kids say: this ain't it.

andrewskyDE, The Trinity and Buddybud like this.
  19. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

OK, here is my two cents on the subject. For those with money to burn, I guess it would be an ok service. However, for me and others like me, this is when things regarding this hobby, pastime, passion, or whatever you want to call it start to get stupid. We have been here before. Shortly before the original demise of vinyl LP records, it all started to get too technical and complicated just before CDs came out and all those cottage industries dedicated to vinyl records got tossed out the window. With the exception of some die-hard collectors, people were dumping their vinyl collections at the local Salvation Army. That's where I scored some of my best acquisitions.

As far as me buying records from eBay or whatever, I never expect anything past a VG+ rating and that is high for me. It's mostly VG at the most and I pay accordingly for that rating. 40- to 50-year-old records have a lot of stories to tell so don't expect anything else. For most of us old timers, this stuff is old hat. Most of the time now, I just toss on some of my average worn LPs on a generic record player and I don't worry about the rating. I enjoy the music just the same and save my pristine records for my more sophisticated stereo system. However, having said that, the latter has become less and less as time goes on. Don't worry about the small stuff, just enjoy the music.

BornToBoogie and Buddybud like this.
  20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

The crazy recent statistic was that something like 50% of the people who are buying vinyl records these days don't even own a turntable - they just like them as cool collectables. So maybe this will be more for them.

21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not saying that comic books and baseball cards shouldn't have monetary value as collectibles but I've never been a fan of the grading services on those either. To each his own, but I'd rather be able to look at either, without it being encased in plastic forevermore. Both were meant to be handled and mishandled by kids, which is precisely why those that have survived hold value today. But hey, maybe my 1972 Nolan Ryan would rate a 7.5 or something. I've kept it for over 50 years for the big payoff, right?

Big Blue likes this.
  22. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

I find this similar to grading Magic and Pokemon cards. They are meant to be played. The second you slab it, the whole purpose of the item is now destroyed and it becomes a fetish.

23. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Conceptually I have zero issues with vinyl as collectables. People collect things. Please drive through.

But authority doesn't just happen with a (poorly designed) website. Credibility is the life blood of the collector and, from what I can tell, VMG offer no meaningful credentials that assures their ratings have value in a marketplace. NFT or otherwise.

My guess is that the market will judge this endeavor accordingly.

24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I mean, if they grade a vinyl "mint" that actually has a scratch/skip that is only audible, how is anyone going to know if they encase it in plastic?

25. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Yes, it will, but possibly not in the manner you expect.

I guarantee, the first time someone's copy of Sgt. Pepper's gets a 9.8 grade and that person can (legitimately) say that it's the highest-graded copy known in existence, they will be able to flip it for an absurd amount of money.