Vintage Media Grading (VMG) -- Vinyl records. Is this a step too far?!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BornToBoogie, May 25, 2023.

1. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Well if it's a Beatles album from 67, that would be a peppermint. :D

ARK and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

That's the genius of it all.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  3. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I can't imagine that they are playing them, so in the not un-common instance when a great looking copy has some issue unseen in the grooves; imagine cracking open your top grade DSOTM, looking at the supposedly pristine record, putting on for a spin and hearing a bunch of fuzz.

4. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

VMG has to establish themselves in the market as an authoritative and credible service before any of their work has value. Based on what I see, I’m very skeptical of their ability, understanding of the medium, and motivation.

On the topic of collecting and slabbing, it’s the owners’ decision as to what they want to do with their records. Nobody else gets a say in what choices others deem appropriate in respect of their property, personal opinions aside.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  5. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

We don't?

ARK, Farmer Mike and Buddybud like this.
  6. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I agree with you but in the case of comics the very valuable ones, think Superman #1, will never be read again anyway as they are just too valuable to handle and any nick, crease, or fold disminishes their value. Plus there are readily available reprints that offer the same reading satisfaction as the original.

They really are just objects for someone's collections too admire and give them bragging rights with other comic collectors. Slabbing them gives a collector a baseline quality appraisal that can be used when reselling and probably for insurance purposes.

On the other hand vinyl doesn't make much sense for me since most collectors want the best quality to play not be permanently sealed as art piece. Plus audiophiles strive for the best pressings so unlike comics vinyl reissues will not sound the same as an original Led Zep RL pressing for example.

At least for me I would not get too excited if someone showed me a slabbed Led Zep RL pressing if they couldn't play it for me.

Country Rocker likes this.
  7. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

Well, sure it's theirs and they can do with it as they please. But we have every right to say what we think about the choice made. It's no longer a medium to play back music. It's now a talisman. A commodity. But, fine, if that's what you want.

One thing about grading a record and slabbing it though, is that it can still be damaged. Stored to hot and develops some warping but it's graded at 9?

Farmer Mike and Big Blue like this.
  8. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Why have they invented "Gem Mint" as the best grading, above Mint? Is it to do with having a new phrase that internet searching for will lead people to their website, or is this a term used in other grading systems such as baseball cards?

And, more worryingly, how will ANYONE know their grading is at all accurate once the bloomin' things are sealed up in plastic?!!? I can just imagine how that conversation would go at my local record shop. "Oh no its definately a Gem Mint copy, they told me so before completely preventing anyone else ever seeing the condition for themselves. And they've made me a digital copy without using ANY scratch-removing software, honest." Hmm.

9. ron/asheton

ron/asheton Forum Resident

Gem mint is a term used for a 10 in sports card sealed grading, which is what they're copying.

andy obrien likes this.
  10. These guys should team up with the folks at ERC. Add an extra $100 to the price and collectors can get their $400 vinyl treasures pre-sealed and graded, complete with a NFT!

Curiosity and Buddybud like this.
  11. ron/asheton

By having these terrible grading standards, it allows them to upsell a higher grade in the future so people resubmit the records and pay again.

I have a small vintage graded sports card collection. I speak from experience.

ARK and McLover like this.
  12. ron/asheton

And make no mistake, if this takes hold and values soar, every type of fraud imaginable will gravitate towards records.

In sports cards they use techniques associated with art restoration and counterfeiting. This will happen.

13. ron/asheton

There is no reason this wouldn't happen.

14. Intellectual

Intellectual Forum Resident

:D Maybe, who knows

15. classicrocker

With all due respect why would you want the vinyl trend bubble to pop? Fewer people buying vinyl will hurt and possibly cause the closure of a number of small privately owned record stores if sales volume goes down substantially. Also if vinyl stops selling record companies will have no incentive to press new vinyl and reissues.

Seems like a lose/ lose proposition to me

McLover and Buddybud like this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A lot of pressing plant capacity is clogged up by contemporary mainstream pop superstar crap and RSD gimmick releases and so on. Things will be better off without all that stuff. A bubble pop does not mean all vinyl stops selling completely, it just means that many of the gimmicks go away when things normalize a bit. Same cycle many hobbies and trends have been through.

High Rant District and Spitfire like this.
  17. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

VMG = Very Misguided Grading.

I'll stick with the Goldmine grading system, thanks

ARK, McLover and Curiosity like this.
  18. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Yes, I agree; you do have a right to say what you want about a person’s choice to slab their record, but as I said, you don’t get a say in what they choose to do with their property (unless you are asked to contribute to the decision). Two very different things.

I’m not in favour of slabbing, and I won’t do it, but that’s up to each individual record owner. Some people might choose to slab a valuable or treasured record, and still enjoy the music through some other format. It’s not like once a record is slabbed that you can’t still enjoy the music. It’s a record, and potentially a collectible, so you get to do you, and they get to do them. That’s the way it works and getting indignant about what someone else does with a record, of all things, is silly. Just like my neighbour who painted his house mauve. I hate it, but it’s his prerogative, because it’s his 1.6 million dollar thing to with what he wants, within the confines of legality.

19. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I won't have to worry about any of that. Of all the records I have obtained in my life, I never bought one as an investment. There are better things to invest your money in if you are trying to speculate. I suppose some like to feel they are part of a social culture if they have a copy of a popular record. Different strokes for different folks.

20. classicrocker

Yeah but the stuff you call crap helps to pay the bills for small independent record stores. If it goes away they may night be able to pay the bills and have to close.

There is room for all genres of music and the more vinyl that sells the better for the hobby IMHO. YMMV

I also speculate the higher volume pop superstar stuff is where record companies make their $$$ not on the small volume stuff we collect. The highvolume stuff allows them to release the limited pressing stuff we care about I think so again good for the hobby.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Any shop that relies too much on that crap will be crushed by big box stores if they haven't been already. It's like no one learned anything from the Best Buy/Circuit City pricing wars.

Most indie stores here and in any major city I've lived in make the bulk of their money on used vinyl. The profit margin on new vinyl is only a few dollars per record.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I've predicted, only half jokingly, in these forums for years that slabbing was eventually going to come to music.

It's kind of idiotic of course, because unlike baseball cards, if you can't play it what's the point?

I know there are exceptions, such as The Beatles butcher cover, where all the value is the cover and the music itself is bog standard and you're not likely to be playing the enclosed record.

When you get this slabbing, the speculators and so-called investors are starting to really distort things.

23. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

absolutely ball bags!

Exactly!
    “Mint” should mean in “brand new” condition, as in “newly minted”! It’s not a term that’s open for subjective interpretation!

Big Blue likes this.
  24. ron/asheton

No, because new records can be flawed just like baseball cards. New doesn't really mean Jack. But this is an orchestrated cash grab.

McLover likes this.
  25. Spearca

Spearca Forum Resident

Mint-new records can be imperfect, but only in a few ways. They cannot have wear.