Vintage record player - static/crackling sound

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mharris674, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mharris674

mharris674 New Member Thread Starter

Hey all,

I have an issue I'm hoping someone can help with! I have a vintage Garrard GA 200 Hi-Fi Music Centre that I bought refurbished from a shop in the UK a few years ago and I'm getting annoying crackling and static sounds when I play records on it. There's just general crackling on a pretty immaculate record, which I don't get anywhere near as much on my other record player, and a horrible static sound on 'S' sounds.

I'm not sure if it's the needle/cartridge or if it could be some other issue. I moved to Paris a while ago and had to leave the record player in my parents' attic until I was able to arrange removal. When I eventually went to pick it up I realised that there was a fair amount of moisture in the attic, as a bunch of books I stored there went pretty crinkly. Could moisture have caused this issue or is it more likely to be a needle/cartridge problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

If you've got another stylus try replacing to see if it is eliminated. If not try a different cart. If not then you've narrowed it down.

3. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

Was it playing properly before it went into storage? Or is this the first time you've played it?

Agree with lazydawg58 . What you're describing sounds like a worn out stylus. But if you haven't already, clean the stylus with a proper brush. Then recalibrate the tonearm...things can get knocked around in moving. If it still persists, find a replacement stylus.

Leonthepro and lazydawg58 like this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Could be anything, we need a lot more details.

If you didnt get a new cart or stylus when first buying it that is the most likely culprit however. So try a new one and get back to us.

5. mharris674

mharris674 New Member Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I have got another record player that plays fine, so I could try taking the cartridge off that and putting it onto the other player and see if that improves the situation, and if not then at least I've narrowed it down like you said!

It was in storage for 2-3 years so frustratingly I can't remember how it was playing before that. The cartridge looks pretty old so hopefully that is the problem. I shall keep y'all updated!

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. violarules

violarules Senior Member

The turntable was supposedly refurbished, but the store that sold it to you didn't bother putting a new cartridge on it? And this was only a few years ago? Yikes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.