Vintage Sansui SR-222 question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronald R Watts, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronald R Watts

Ronald R Watts Active Member Thread Starter

How does this table compare to the current crop of new sub $500 new tables like the U-Turn, Planer 1, MMF 2.3, Pro-ject , Debut Carbon ....etc...? Will it produce as good of sound or better with a comparable cart?

I just picked up one for less than $90 cause I wanted to try a simple all manual TT. My two Technics are fully and semi auto..

How will it compare to my SL-Q3 and SL-QD2?

2. mitchius

mitchius Forum Resident

It will not. Sorry. I’ve had mine for 46 years. It still works but it didn’t hold up to the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-usb (which Amazon has for $230! Regularly $300)
    There are smartphone apps that test the speed of a tt that are very accurate. I sold the AT to a buddy but we tested it and it was spot on. The Sansui runs about 32.84.
    I think you paid exactly what it’s worth. It does play records and maybe yours will be closer to 33.33 which would help.

3. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Try the Sansui, you may be pleasantly surprised, If not your not out much.

4. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I had a SR-222 MKIV, with piano black plinth and the long straight arm. I enjoyed it a lot for a few years, with a Shure M95 EJ cartridge.
    I read somewhere that the tonearm was designed for one of the most expensive Sansui turntables, but there was a surplus and they decided to use it on the MKIV version of the SR-222. I can't find the source, but I seem to remember it was in VintageKnob. I looked it up now and I can't find the source.
    I had tried the Audio Technica AT LP120 and although I thought it was very good, I preferred the Sansui. The plinth and the tonearm were great in my opinion. That long tonearm was great for IGD.
    I also tried several of the cheapest Pro-Ject: Debut, Debut Carbon... I liked the Debut Carbon, but not more than the Sansui.
    To be fair, I didn't try them with the same setup, so the comparison doesn't mean much. Maybe it was the setup I had back then, with a Harman Kardon A-402 amp, that made it sound so great.
    I don't know about the rest of the models you mention.
    But I'd say you may find the SR-222 very enjoyable.

5. mitchius

mitchius Forum Resident

Is there any way to correct the speed of this turntable? Would a new belt make any difference? I replaced it about 6 years ago but haven’t used it much.
    Thanks, Mitch

6. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

It helped in my case, but I had to try two different belts. I bought them on ebay, and although both were supposed to be for that model (or compatible with it), only the 2nd one made a difference.
    It didn't make it absolutely precise, but it went from a deviation of 1,5% to a little under 1% that I considered acceptable.

mitchius likes this.
  7. Ronald R Watts

Ronald R Watts Active Member Thread Starter

So I got the sansui 222. Looks almost new. Running it with a AT95e but not on the sansui headshell..(would it make a difference). I had the start up grinding noise so looked around the motor section. I noticed it is very loose. From underneath I was able to left it some and twist it..is it supposed to be like that?

qwerty likes this.
  8. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I can't comment on the motor issue.

Headshells can influence the sound. Most headshells for this quality of turntable are of similar quality, and I don't think you will notice much difference in sound quality. You will notice greater benefits in upgrading the cartridge.
    Buying an expensive audiophile headshell is probably not going to reveal benefits on this quality of turntable. And some headshells can degrade the quality if not compatible with your arm/cart (eg. putting a headshell that's too heavy for a lightweight design, and vice-versa).

9. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I never had any motor issues with mine. Are you sure it's not just the spindle.
    I seem to remember you didn't need to lube it, but depending on the storage conditions and if it's not been used in a long time, you may have to do it.
    Check in Vinyl Engine, they have the service manual.
    I think you got a great turntable.

10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Technics should easily outperform the Sansui. A Sansui SR-636 is more equal to the Technics Q3.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I just picked a Mk IV, mainly because it's such a pretty deck, even though it was a budget offering it looks and even feels much more expensive. I'm waiting on a new belt before I can form an opinion on it's performance, but based on it's place in the market when it was around I'd imagine a well maintained Mk IV will compete with and probably exceed most current decks under £300 and probably a fair few above that. I'm not sure how the Mk II compares, I believe it's quite different to the IV, but there's probably nothing new close to $90 as good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.